Upping Carbs

Options
Scorpiotwin
Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
Does anyone up their carbs when they know that they are going to be doing an intense workout?
I plan on doing a Zomba class today and I've been debating whether to add more carbs. I'm typically staying between 60 - 100 or less in total carbs.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I run. Usually less than an hour, so probably not long enough to bonk. But I don't need any extra carbs for that level of exercise. For a race where my pace will be high for 5+ miles, I'll carry some salted nuts and even a SaltStick with me, but I haven't needed them during a race (I scarf the nuts down after the race, though).

Peter Attia says he can do a 6-hour bike ride with no extra food at all. That guy is fat adapted!

So, I'd suggest trying it without the extra carbs, but bring some salty snacks with you just in case.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't add to my total number, but I move them around if I'm going to be doing strength training/ranch work. I find having a few (8-12g) helps me not bonk around hour 2. But I don't add any for cardio based workouts. I do however make sure to put a dash of salt in my coffee or have a salted egg if I'm going to be really working it or it's hot out.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I bike in pretty intense heat

It will be 98 today.

I will ride 30 miles at adored greater than 27mph. Do I will definitely have a "bonk kit" with me.

I will have two 120 calorie gel packs of sugar and electrolytes with two water bottles.

A bag is salted mixed nuts for an hour in. Acceleraide is an electrolyte drink with protein I take in one of the water bottles

I work hard to be fat adapted but when I is gonna be about 100 out and I will be in the sun... Better safe than skinned up.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take some cashews with me just in case I need them after my workout.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It is ultra hot

107 on the pavement

Yep

Taking Gatorade

2pjg7duysmhu.jpg
  • Scorpiotwin
    Options
    It is ultra hot