Pitfalls of Fall?

Options
Hi LCHF folks!

We're in the dog days of summer here in the 100-degree-for-a-month-or-more Austin area. This time of year, my thoughts always turn longingly toward fall. I've heard some folks say it's easier not to eat when it's hot outside. If that's true, I'd be big as a house if I lived further north.

In the spirit of thinking ahead, what challenges do you expect to find once the mercury dips? (Here, that might not happen for a few months--we've had many warm Halloweens--but I want to mentally prepare.)

I know I have a tendency to get lethargic in the colder months, and may need to make an extra effort to get to the gym. I also go into "hibernation mode" and tend to not want to do much... and eating mindlessly seems to go hand in hand with this.

On the upside, the weather gets bearable again, so I'm looking forward to walking and cycling, maybe even jogging or actually running, outdoors. Guess I'd better get some good rain gear if I plan to do this a lot, as we usually have some sort of rainy season in between our two seasons, "Hot" and "Other".

I can say that I'm genuinely enjoying this summer more than I've enjoyed a summer in a long time, in no small part because I don't feel as self-conscious in shorts.

Cheers!

Mary

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It is the end of winter here, and I can't say that I noticed any changes in activity - or rather, I have, my activity levels have gone up. I have been eating more but that is more of the cyclical mental thing, I don't think I have ever tended to eat more due to being cold.

We don't get cold winters though where I live, it's 7am and 51 degrees F.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Summer has actually been super hard for me. It's all those berries and melons and get togethers. I'm actually looking forward to the colder temps- I seem to just plan better when I have soups simmering and roasts roasting.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well..... I live in Florida, which aside from the humidity is probably similar. It goes from scorching egg frying sidewalk melting hot one week to oh look the egg is only partly cooked again the next sometime in November? Maybe? Couple that with the random thunderstorm that pops up every afternoon.... I never know what to expect down here.

Followed by menopausal mother nature who goes through hot and cold flashes all winter. Seriously..... 30-40 degrees in the morning.... 60-70 in the afternoon. Winter wardrobe is hard to plan LOL.

Guess I'm not the best person to comment on this. I tend to be more active in the Fall/Winter/Spring as that's the only time it's bearable outside, and I prefer to exercise outdoors. I am looking forward to riding my bike to work again and my afternoon walks/rides. I say every day, "I wish it was Fall."

This July was our hottest on record too.... So yes, I am ready for cooler weather. I for one loved the polar vortex the year before. It felt like winter for once! We actually had ice that lasted beyond sunrise!

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see how things go once it gets cold. I live just outside buffalo so if we have a winter anywhere near as bad as last winter its going to be a challenge. Fall is wonderful but 40 degree days and football spark my desire for rich home cooked meals, home made bread, and apple crisp with sponge candy ice cream. That with being stuck in the house once the temp really takes a dive and winters that go from end of October till April, make staying active a real challenge.

I'm trying to build a solid foundation of indoor exercise habits now and once it gets closer to fall I'm going to have to look into creative ways to satisfy my comfort food desire both low cal and low carb. I should no longer be eating at a deficit by that point so that'll help too.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Football. OMG, so so ready for football to come back.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well here in the frozen north (Canada) I do find that my activity level dips a lot in the winter for a number of reasons including exercise induced asthma that is triggered by cold. Also, the fact that the days are very short means I'm arriving at work as the sun is coming up and leaving in the dark. Its very hard to get motivated to do anything besides snuggle beneath blankets and drink tea.

I get a lot of knitting done!

Fall is by far my favourite time of year - I love fall walks in jeans and a warm sweater...
  • JennyToy1
    JennyToy1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    fall makes me hungry. it has for as long as i can remember. Cold air? my body thinks it needs to be fat to hibernate? i am determined to fight back this year. And fall is my favorite season!!!! so it's general fall-dislike LOL.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I started keto during the winter and it was so much easier! Salame and cheese, or soups, hot tea and coffee, roasts, crockpot dishes. Of course that was in January, after the holidays. So this year I have to find alternate low carb dishes to make with those holiday dinners. But that said, berries, melons, fruit in general isn't in season. I do expect it to be harder in that I'll have less time to cook. School starts, the ranch explodes with activity and when it's dark out for longer more things seem to need attention.

I'm already switching into fall mode though. I think the biggest difficulty for me this year is going to be transition fall clothes. Everything I have is from either 10 pounds lighter or 20 pounds heavier.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    It is the end of winter here, and I can't say that I noticed any changes in activity - or rather, I have, my activity levels have gone up. I have been eating more but that is more of the cyclical mental thing, I don't think I have ever tended to eat more due to being cold.

We don't get cold winters though where I live, it's 7am and 51 degrees F.

Ah, I forget that the Southern Hemisphere is in the opposite season, even though I spent 6 months in Chile (and therefore, three consecutive fall/winters... which I loved!)

I can relate to the cyclical mental thing.

Followed by menopausal mother nature who goes through hot and cold flashes all winter. Seriously..... 30-40 degrees in the morning.... 60-70 in the afternoon. Winter wardrobe is hard to plan LOL.

Love the part about menopausal mother nature! Hilarious, and true for this part of the U.S., too.

This July was our hottest on record too.... So yes, I am ready for cooler weather. I for one loved the polar vortex the year before. It felt like winter for once! We actually had ice that lasted beyond sunrise!

We were spoiled until July, when rain and cooler temps gave way to humidity and heat. Usually the summers are dry here, which helps cool things off at night. Not so this summer. It's been more like Houston or New Orleans. The heat just sticks to you.
    Summer has actually been super hard for me. It's all those berries and melons and get togethers. I'm actually looking forward to the colder temps- I seem to just plan better when I have soups simmering and roasts roasting.

Ah, that's encouraging, and makes sense! The get-togethers get me, too.
    Football. OMG, so so ready for football to come back.

Yeah, my husband is chomping at the bit. I'm looking forward to football games, too. There's a particular kind of nostalgia wrapped up in football, at least for me. I grew up with three brothers and a dad who were (and are) big NFL fans.
    I'm curious to see how things go once it gets cold. I live just outside buffalo so if we have a winter anywhere near as bad as last winter its going to be a challenge. Fall is wonderful but 40 degree days and football spark my desire for rich home cooked meals, home made bread, and apple crisp with sponge candy ice cream. That with being stuck in the house once the temp really takes a dive and winters that go from end of October till April, make staying active a real challenge.

I'm trying to build a solid foundation of indoor exercise habits now and once it gets closer to fall I'm going to have to look into creative ways to satisfy my comfort food desire both low cal and low carb. I should no longer be eating at a deficit by that point so that'll help too.

Yeah, you guys have had a couple of seriously long back-to-back winters. I don't envy that! I try to remind myself during the winter that we have it really, really good. Just wish I could make those days longer.

Maybe I'll start a separate thread on low carb/low cal fall recipes. Seems like a lot of the soups, roasts, etc would freeze well in individual portions.
    I started keto during the winter and it was so much easier! Salame and cheese, or soups, hot tea and coffee, roasts, crockpot dishes. Of course that was in January, after the holidays. So this year I have to find alternate low carb dishes to make with those holiday dinners. But that said, berries, melons, fruit in general isn't in season. I do expect it to be harder in that I'll have less time to cook. School starts, the ranch explodes with activity and when it's dark out for longer more things seem to need attention.

I'm already switching into fall mode though. I think the biggest difficulty for me this year is going to be transition fall clothes. Everything I have is from either 10 pounds lighter or 20 pounds heavier.

Thanks for the food recs! You're right, there are a lot of options. I'm half-dreading, half-looking forward to school starting again. Getting up that early again, and the homework, will suck. But I look forward to getting the routine back. My oldest is going into first grade. Her little sister won't start Kindergarten until next fall. Baby boy starts Kinder in... four years I think.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I suspect that once my fresh garden produce is gone, I will be eating less carbs, so hopefully my cravings to eat more will be in check. That's my plan anyway so far. A nice bowl of bean-less meat chili with a bit of cheese on top would fill be up.... Kind of looking forward to it. Besides, I have a smaller parka that I want to fit into for winter to motivate me to be good :)
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm in AZ so I'm in the "excited for Fall" camp. I like soups and stew...cooler weather lends itself better to LC for me. Except the holidays with baked goods. Summer is tougher with fruit and barbecues...
    I'm a gym girl for my lifting so year round my workouts are consistent, but in the Fall and winter I walk more and hike. Come on October...hurry up!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I can get far more active in the blip on the map that passes for Fall here and in winter-time (Oklahoma, SW), rather than this killer heat and sun of the 9 month+ long summer we seem to have... I haven't noticed too many food changes, but I can eat things like chili, stew, and roast year round, as well as salads and all that mess, too.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We're in the middle of statewide 100-110 heat indices, with higher ones on the way. This kind of heat shuts me down, esp as my AC is lousy and struggles to keep the house under 90 (Oklahoma). We are getting ready to move to Vermont in the fall and I cannot wait! I love the fall air, it's invigorating. I also love snow and a little snow shoveling is a great workout! Just getting to the car sometimes is a workout, haha! I will be glad to wave goodbye to this state! I miss the fall the most.

Cider donuts. That may be hard to pass up. I did just find a donut recipe online. Ima try it. Anyone try these yet?

http://pinterest.com/pin/Az-2igAQQDYGjI1gJTkAAAA/

g4s2tf5j5e3d.jpg
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I am really looking forward to beef stew and chili!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I may struggle a bit with Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

Well. No. I dunno. I don't think I will, but I just got a stress headache thinking about it. :D

I have a coupe recipes for keto pumpkin lattes, and keto pumpkin cake and bread loaves and what not. Not sure it's a good idea to even go there. For our anniversary in October, my husband and I do plan to make the pumpkin spice coffee recipe to take to-go to revisit the spot where we got married. I think I'll stick with that. If it feels like a trigger, I'll back off.

Adding Hollandaise, or goat cheese sauces, to my steaks will keep them "hearty" enough to survive winter cravings, I bet. My husband will be wanting chili and soup and such and that might be tougher.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the fall months for chili and football. Does anyone think it would be bad to make a double meat batch of chili with 1/2 can of kidney beans? Beans are not a trigger for me, just thought the taste would be nice.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the fall months for chili and football. Does anyone think it would be bad to make a double meat batch of chili with 1/2 can of kidney beans? Beans are not a trigger for me, just thought the taste would be nice.

I usually don't put beans in mine, it's basically all meat and spices with beef broth. Occasionally I'll add half a can of rinsed beans, black or kidney. I don't eat as low carb as those who do keto so I could easily handle it. If they aren't a trigger for you and you have the room for it, then by all means add them.

And since now I won't be eating the crusty french bread with it, a few beans won't hurt.

I too can't wait, as soon as we start getting the cool fall days, my body instantly goes, Chili....Football! :smiley:
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    soups, stews (LCHF of course), oxtails
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    I may struggle a bit with Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

Well. No. I dunno. I don't think I will, but I just got a stress headache thinking about it. :D

Bahaha, I feel your pain! Chai tea and pumpkin smoothies help.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited August 2015
    Options

I put beans in mine.
    One they have a lot of fiber.
    Two they are cheap and so am I.
    Three they are slow carbs meaning digested lower in intestines and less impact on blood sugar (I've tested this for me).
    Four, I can eat a small amount and stay in ketosis.
    So yep. I put a small amount of beans in practically everything I make that is Mexican food related.

I use black beans and I use beans made from scratch not canned cause they are actual lower in carbs. Idk why. Also cheaper. Haha.

(I also use a small can of corn! Shhhh) ...but I make a big batch when I make it.