Do you guys eat back the calories you have burned exercising?

Options
13»

Replies

• gingermw
    gingermw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do u all mean after u work out eat another 600 calories?
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimates the calorie burn. I only figure the burn in when it comes from garmin and based on heart monitor. So I never eat them back unless it's from a long hard bike ride. The temptation to eat a lot after that is so strong.
  • reality122
    reality122 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a really great question and here is the real problem with myfitnesspal. When you set up your goals it asks you what your activity level is. If you say "very active" because you are exercising a lot (or planning too), then it gives you more calories as your base. If you then log your exercise, it gives you the calories again! So it's very important to put "sedentary" as your activity level in your goals, otherwise you are doubling up those exercise calories.
    I suggest trying to not eat those cals either way, but having them there as a security blanket in case of the munchies is great.
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the calorie amount they set so you can go in and change it.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I went to a sports dietitian for advice as I workout hard 5 days a week, he told me to eat more protein, and not waste time counting calories, so now I watch my macro's and try to keep them in balance. I thought that eating more protein would put on the weight but it hasn't. I also now have a protein shake after my gym sessions.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm currently down 110lbs and in in an active muscle building phase. I'm eating upwards of 1800 calories a day and maintaining my weight without eating my calories back. I baseline with my BMR and then go from there to make sure I'm getting everything I need and then some. Even when I was cutting weight, I was no less than 1350cal and didn't eat back then either ...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat them back. (If I am eating at deficit, I am hungry and need those calories because my goal is 1200. When I go back to maintenance at around 1500-1600, I may not always need them. So I will use hunger as a guide then.)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    I don't eat mine back yet. I don't even log the exercise calories to be honest. I do make my calorie goal 1500 though and I average a 3lb weight loss a week. I'm 11 lb from my goal

Please share your secret- that sounds fabulous!!
  • juliew3
    juliew3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use some of my exercise calories as "slush" for errors (deliberate or otherwise) in calculating both calories I eat, and any miscalculations in exercise. The more I exercise, the more hungry I am, so I will sometimes eat as much as 50% of the exercise calories, depending on the day. If I'm being honest, I should probably increase my activity level, but I'd rather have the exercise calories added (because I'm lazy to my core and sometimes I just don't feel like working out). I also perpetually forget to count calories for things like the olive oil I use when I cook; although, for reasons I cannot explain, I count the coconut oil when I use it. :p

Honestly, I'm so accustomed to the lower-calorie diet, most of the time I have to make a conscious effort to eat more calories. One of my self-imposed policies is that I don't eat just to use up calories. I want to eat calories that will fill me up and keep me feeling full. Otherwise, I'd just have a cup of ice cream and call it good!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat back almost all of mine. I might leave like 50-100 to account for me not burning as much as the calculator said, but not eating back exercise calories makes me feel awful and I just binge.