Is this diet for real!!

kiely32
kiely32 Posts: 46 Member
So a little background first. I have put on 16lb in 9mths since I have been getting the depo shot (contriceptive injection ) and nothing I could do would shift it! I mean I was working out at the gym 5 times a week (kettlebells, cardio, metafit and hiit) but my weight was still going up. I was at a loss and and my wits end! So demotivated. I went to the docs and was told 'Oh yes, some women report big weight gain.' Needless to say I came off the shot and went on the mini pill. I stopped gaining but was still not loosing.

Then I discovered this Woe! I am three days in and 3lb down!! I am in total shock. I know many people will say it's water weight but I have not seen the scales go down for so long! I am finding it a little hard to believe it to be true! I am so full as well. I am usually a real snacker but I have been too full to even think about snacking!

Sorry for the babble, I am just so thrilled. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, please do! I would love to be able to share.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Welcome to the group.
    Yeah it's water weight, but it's 3lb less weighing you down. Pretty freaking awesome for just losing water, I'd say.
    Keep it up!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Yes, it's water weight. Carbohydrates hold on to a lot of water, and when you reduce your carbs, you ultimately reduce your glycogen stores, which reduces your weight without necessarily having an impact on your body fat amount.

It's definitely encouraging to see that "jump start," but do keep in mind that it will very likely slow down and may stop entirely temporarily by the end of your first month. Don't be discouraged if/when that happens. Just remember what else it's doing for you (like keeping you from snacking), and keep going. The scale will start moving again.

That said, you might want to talk to your doctor about getting your cortisol level checked (ask for the saliva test). Depo is known to increase cortisol levels. Usually, it goes down naturally on its own when you stop, but it might also start a hormonal feedback loop that keeps it higher (especially since cortisol and all of the sex hormones are steroid hormones and can largely be converted to one another), especially if you have other stressors in your life, which can hinder your weight loss. If it is running a little high, a short time on something like Phosphatidyl Serine (a supplement known to reduce cortisol and stress) might be beneficial.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Congrats! Keep it up and you can lose more than weight. I've lost inflammation, lethargy, and diabetes! ;) Plus 43#.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Congrats @kiely32! Those big "whooshes" of initial weight loss are exciting!

I highly recommend measuring yourself as you go, too, because it's quite common to lose inches while you're not losing pounds on this WOE. Have you been measuring?

One more thing: if you're not doing so already, you'll probably need to increase your salt, potassium and magnesium intake to stave off the "low carb flu". Veterans can probably describe this better than I can, but in a nutshell, losing all that water means your kidneys dump a bunch of electrolytes, too, and you can get too low on them. If you start feeling lightheaded, that's probably what's going on.

Congrats again, and best of luck!
  • kiely32
    Thanks guys. Lots of great advice! So far no carb flu, I have included olives,in brine, and bacon in my diet so I think I have been having quite a bit of salt which may have helped things.

I also suffer from inflammation, if it helps with that then I will be over the moon!

Dragonwolf wrote: »
    That said, you might want to talk to your doctor about getting your cortisol level checked (ask for the saliva test). Depo is known to increase cortisol levels. Usually, it goes down naturally on its own when you stop, but it might also start a hormonal feedback loop that keeps it higher (especially since cortisol and all of the sex hormones are steroid hormones and can largely be converted to one another), especially if you have other stressors in your life, which can hinder your weight loss. If it is running a little high, a short time on something like Phosphatidyl Serine (a supplement known to reduce cortisol and stress) might be beneficial.

I will also get this checked, thanks.
  • kiely32
    On my way to get the tape measure!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    One more thing: if you're not doing so already, you'll probably need to increase your salt, potassium and magnesium intake to stave off the "low carb flu". Veterans can probably describe this better than I can, but in a nutshell, losing all that water means your kidneys dump a bunch of electrolytes, too, and you can get too low on them. If you start feeling lightheaded, that's probably what's going on.

Ditto on upping salt, Mg, and K. It really does help.

Congrats! :) I'm glad you are settling into this WOE so well. It really does work! I'm down a little over 15 lbs in 6 weeks, only 20-30lbs to go - it's exciting to have results for so little effort. ;)
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    I suggest that you take your measurements. After my initial water weight loss, the scale reading did not change for a month. Lost 7 inches, though.
  • kiely32
    Measurements done! Such good advice, I don't want to be a slave to the scale. Well done everyone on your results!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Even with the olives in brine and bacon you may still need additional salt, potassium and magnesium. I eat a ton of salt, like I literally salt lunch meat, and I still needed to add more in. Pickle juice helped a lot when I was feeling off. If you start cramping or getting muscle twitches add in a magnesium citrate supplement.

So happy for you! Keep up the good work!
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    YES TO PICKLE JUICE !!!
  • kiely32
    :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I keep bouillon cubes around the house and at work for the days I need a bit more.

I take two magnesium supplements before bed and it's not that unusual for me to still wake with leg cramps overnight.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    glossbones wrote: »
    I take two magnesium supplements before bed and it's not that unusual for me to still wake with leg cramps overnight.

Same with my wife -- I had her try Mg supplements for a while with no change. It's usually dehydration for her. For some reason, she just doesn't drink enough water and wakes up with leg cramps.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    I lost about the same amount in 7-10 days. It has tapered off since. But still about 1 lb a week which is really amazing to me. It took me 6 months prior to lose 5 lbs. I can maintain this woe for the rest of my life. Once I get to my goal I can always incorporate more carbs, but still limit them and I don't think I will have a problem. I am delighted to find something I can stick with and not be hungry and irritable all the time. Keep up the good work.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I gave up coffee (couldn't find a sweetener that I liked) so I have a big mug of chicken bouillon for coffee break at work.
    The guys say " Oh that smells good." 700mg sodium down the hatch. ;)
  • kiely32
    I just find bouillon makes me, uncomfortably, thirsty. Though that would have been with my normal diet...
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    kiely32 wrote: »
    I just find bouillon makes me, uncomfortably, thirsty. Though that would have been with my normal diet...

Ture, but I increase my step count walking to the water cooler to refill my water bottle. >:)

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    wabmester wrote: »

Same with my wife -- I had her try Mg supplements for a while with no change. It's usually dehydration for her. For some reason, she just doesn't drink enough water and wakes up with leg cramps.

I drank 180 oz of water yesterday, took my Mg, and still had cramps this morning.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    wabmester wrote: »

I drank 180 oz of water yesterday, took my Mg, and still had cramps this morning.

What's your potassium intake like? Could be the culprit.