Up to date Medical papers

Options
jumanajane
jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
I have a friend who us a Dr. She trained 30+ years ago. She is extremely anti low carb eating!!! Her only exoerience was trying Atkins for 2 weeks and then having a blood test and finding her cholesterol was 'sky high' and it was fine before. She takes every opportunity yo publically know low carb/Atkins etc and i usually ignore her but today she has really peed me off by posting this on a group discusdion.....prolonged low or no carb diets put excessive strain on both liver and kidneys. Liver is made up by nature to usecarbs as fuel but when in low carb diets it is forced to use fats and proteins as fuel that puts strain on it and long term is not good. Similarly excess ketones bad for kidneys. Too much stress. Plz tell her these things. She needs a properly balanced diet.....time to put her right!!!! Enough!
Does anyone have good, credible papers I can send her please. Lots of data and evidence???
Be good reading for us too!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If she believes low-carb is stressful, causes long-term harm, and is unnatural, then there's no way to change her mind. None of those things are easy to pin down scientifically.

How do you measure stress and strain on the kidney and liver?

The only long-term studies have been done on epilepsy patients who were often fed too little protein and odd forms of fat. There were negative long-term side effects.

Our natural diet, in terms of evolution, seems to be mostly meat, but the historical records aren't very good, and we seem to mostly tolerate a wide range of foods.

If you want, get her a copy of Phinney and Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carb. It was written to educate physicians.