Change in training routine and scared :(

Options
CoachFrenchie
CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
wellI am a Spartan racer. Like big time... 10 races this year so far. But my sponsors have asked me to give crossfit a try, which means changing my training. My coach wants me to cut my cardio by 2/3 at least. And we are going full blast into strenght training, which I did but not so intensely ( deadlifts, squats, ...) . My thing is I am scared to death; nor my coach or sponsors understand a thing that maybe you will... Having been extremely obese in the past (280 lbs) cardio was my safety net in my mind. Any input? Any thoughts? I eat clean, with treats but only once a week. I do not mind muscles; i am very muscular. But fat has been an issue... I am scared of it:)

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Compare calorie burns during cardio vs calorie burns during weights. Yes, 20 minutes of cardio burns more calories than 20 minutes of weights. But a solid weight plan not only burns calories during the actual exercise period, but also for hours after, sometimes keeping your calorie burning furnace revved up for up to 48 hours after. Trickle-burn, for sure, but it does add up to the point that you won't actually reduce calorie consumption by as much as you may fear.

Speaking from experience back in my school days, but 1 of every 4 workouts while doing cross country was spent in the weight room strengthening legs. Going up long hills is a LOT easier with strong legs, which greatly improves run times.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So is it a fear of possibly having to eat less calories than you currently eat?

Because it's only a matter of eating correctly for your activity level.
    Have you gotten sick or injured and had to eat a lot less - unable to do your cardio?

Besides the fact mentioned above - it may not be that much difference anyway.

Much of the crossfit is between lifting and cardio anyway, so the difference for 45 min won't be that great, and then your say 15 min of some straight lifting is just extra.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have been a cardio junkie for a long time. Like you, it seemed like I lost all of my weight doing cardio. However, once I began lifting weights and training MMA I have paid less attention to cardio and more on lifting and engaging in activities such as cross-fit, HIIT, and of course martial arts - traditional boxing. I have not gained any weight back in fact I have dropped several inches as a result. I did a series of before/after photos. Changed nothing about my diet and just incorporated weights and my body looks (and feels) 10 times leaner and stronger as a result. I would say you have nothing to worry about doing less cardio. Good luck!