Low BG

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
I'm kind of new and unsure how much or what I should eat when my BG gets to low so it dosent do the opposite and go to high..

Replies

• nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not to sound rude, but I kinda know you well so I don't care LOL. I just commented on this topic the other day.

A true low is below 70. If it is between 50-70 then eat 15g carbs wait 15 minutes and check again. If it isn't above 70 you can have another 15g. If it is below 50 then eat 30g carbs and check again in 15 minutes, eating another 15g if needed.

I recommend getting gluclose tablets/gel especially to keep with you when you are away from the house. Good options are 4oz juice, skim milk, crackers, 3-4 hard candies (mints, lifesavers, etc) If you treat with candies or glucose make sure you eat your next meal within 30-60 mins to avoid another low. As the glucose and candies are just bringing it up enough to help you get normal.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    lol...I really didnt see it.. Mines was 61 and I was really shaking and felt weak.. I just wasn't sure how much of what to eat. The last time I ate to much and then it went way high. It's kina of scary when it drops.
  • nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yes it is, mine went to 42 the other night... Especially if you can't seem to get it to come back up.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new to Type 2 and learning so much. Like the great advice above, I've seen others mention this 15/15 rule = eat 15g of carb and wait 15 minutes. My BG has been on the low side for several days now and I'm thrilled! But also kinda shaky and that's not fun. I've seen other more experienced folks say if it goes low quite a bit, you may need a medication adjustment.
    Good luck!
    Margaret
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new to Type 2 and learning so much. Like the great advice above, I've seen others mention this 15/15 rule = eat 15g of carb and wait 15 minutes. My BG has been on the low side for several days now and I'm thrilled! But also kinda shaky and that's not fun. I've seen other more experienced folks say if it goes low quite a bit, you may need a medication adjustment.
    Good luck!
    Margaret

^^^^^agree