New to lifting ! Need advice please

Options
marygoya91
marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
hi,
I'm new to lifting and something I've always struggled with is what to eat and how to organize my meals. I'm 5'5 and 112 pounds. I know you have to eat more when building muscle. Can any one tell me if the food choices I'm making are right? Here is 1 example of the meal that I eat often. Thanks I appreciate all responses!

Breakfast:
Whole grains bread 100% whole wheat (1 slice) - * this bread as 3 grams of sugar*

1 tablespoon of skippy peanut butter
4 egg whites
2 pieces of butterball turkey bacon cooked everyday original

Snack 1:
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 medium banana
1 cup of skim milk

Lunch:
Morning star -grillers original - veggie burger
Whole wheat bread (Arnold whole 100% whole grain- 1 slice- contains 3 grams of sugar)
I cup of spinach
1 plum

Snack 2:
1 tablespoon of skippy peanut butter
1 rice cake
1 quest bar- chocolate brownie
Fat free/ sugar free toasted hazelnut coffee creamer with coffee.

Dinner:
Ground beef (6 oz.)
Missions 100% whole wheat wrap (1 wrap- contains 3 grams of sugar)
I cup of spinach

Total for this meal: 1,674 calories
Protein : 137 grams
Carbs- 178 grams
Sugar: 36 grams
Fat: 54 grams
Sodium: 2,435

Replies

• MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to be disagreeable or argumentative, but I don't see how this day's foods add up to 137 grams of protein. The main sources I see are:

2 TBSP skippy - 7
    4 egg whites -- 16
    1 veggie burger -- 15
    6 oz. ground beef -- 44

That's 82 grams of protein.

Edited to add: Oh, I missed the Quest bar...that adds another 20, bringing it up to 102. Is there another 35 grams in the rest? Maybe you did hit 137. My mistake...and I can't figure out how to just delete this, so I apologize if I am way off base here.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can tell you if your food choices are right. I mean, it's your body and lifting routine... what works for you may not work for another. I lift heavy weights three times per week, that in combination of some cardio, cross-fit and MMA. I pretty much live on meat, veggies and healthy fat. I sometimes add a half of a bagel thin with my breakfast for a few extra carbs but aside from that I get most of my carbs from veggies. All of my proteins come from eggs, meat, nuts, cheese... But I maintain a cron plan (calorie restrict with optimal nutrition). That's what works for me. If I were you I'd just do what you're doing and see how you feel, if you need to adjust than adjust.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting while cutting, therefore trying to retain the muscle you have, the main 2 diet related goals you need to keep in mind is 1) eat a minimum of 1g of protein per pound of LBM (total body weight - fat weight = Lean Body Mass, LBM) and 2) make sure that you're deficit is moderate or small. Eating less than TDEE-20% could cause performance issues (fatigue) over the long run. Poor performance can lead to injury and missed workouts.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The food looks ok. Depends on what your goal is. For this 50+ mama, I'm merely trying to stay healthy enough to keep up with my kids. I am 5'4" and hover between 114-116 on 1800 cal/day, lifting 2 days/wk. Personally, I would need MORE - volume & variety & just MORE food in general. It may work fine for you; but, even after reading the list I am HUNGRY :)