strength training ! Advice on food please!

Options
marygoya91
marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Hi,
I'm new to strength training and I've always struggled with what foods to eat. Below I have an example of a day's meal! I'm 5'5 and 112 pounds. Can someone tell me if I'm eating correctly? Thanks!

Breakfast:
Whole grains bread 100% whole wheat (1 slice) - * this bread as 3 grams of sugar*

1 tablespoon of skippy peanut butter
4 egg whites
2 pieces of butterball turkey bacon cooked everyday original

Snack 1:
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 medium banana
1 cup of skim milk

Lunch:
Morning star -grillers original - veggie burger
Whole wheat bread (Arnold whole 100% whole grain- 1 slice- contains 3 grams of sugar)
I cup of spinach
1 plum

Snack 2:
1 tablespoon of skippy peanut butter
1 rice cake
1 quest bar- chocolate brownie
Fat free/ sugar free toasted hazelnut coffee creamer with coffee.

Dinner:
Ground beef (6 oz.)
Missions 100% whole wheat wrap (1 wrap- contains 3 grams of sugar)
I cup of spinach

Total for this meal:
Protein : 137 grams
Carbs- 178 grams
Sugar: 36 grams
Fat: 54 grams
Sodium: 2,435 mg

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing. Bulking for the strength training? Maintenance? That doesn't look like many calories to me, what was your goal?
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of fat. It's good for you. Also, make sure you're eating your exercise calories.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Depends more on the total calories. The fat does seem a little low as often I've seen 50 set as the bare minimum for recommendations with encouragement to go above. You are at least in that singular instance above though not by much. Protein is okay-ish, though most recommend only .8-1 gram per lean body mass. But really, everything will depend on your goals and the overall calories. You're at a rather low weight so I would guess trying to gain by eating at a small surplus, but I could be wrong since I don't know yet what you are trying to achieve.

You can eat all kinds of things, though can vary some based on preference and goals, it's not just a one way only kind of situation.