Itchy on Keto?

Options
LittleMamaVas
LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
I'm six weeks in, and my skin has been super itchy for the last week or so. I feel like I want to scratch my skin off. Could this be keto-related? Maybe missing a nutrient of some sort. Anyone experience this?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I had this, too, and as I adapted further, it went away. I think I didn't have enough oils in my diet, and I was low on water and such... I don't remember exactly how I got it to resolve, so trial and error is in order...

I upped my mag and sodium, upped my oil consumption, and balanced out my high and low water days more around this time. I also started eating more eggs, butter, and coconut oil, but I don't remember what else I did...so I can't isolate the issue for you, but yes, for me it was keto related and continuing on resolved it.
  • Thurley160
    Thurley160 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! The bottom of my feet is the worst. I've tried a variety of things work no resolution. My fats are MCT oil, macadamia, olive oil, lard etc. So I don't think that's the issue for me. I'm only 3 weeks in and my blood sugar is still higher than it should be so I've been chalking my itching ip to that because I've tried Keto before briefly and never had issues.
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It was the same for me as Knit - once I upped my fat and water it went away
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It might be a long shot but I have had bouts with itchy fingers, accompanied with sneezing and sinus congestion while on a keto diet. I found that I am sensitive to histamines in food. It is not so uncommon and often undiagnosed. All foods have some level of histamines but many foods on keto/Paleo food list are high histamine content foods. I found it very difficult to eliminate histamine foods. I did find that taking 2 grams of vitamin C spaced out during the day totally eliminated the symptoms. You can find information by searching histamine intolerance or histamine sensitivity. You may want to try taking a mega dose of vitamin C (or maybe an anti-histamine) and see if the itching goes way. It is pretty amazing, the symptoms should disappear in 15 minutes, if that's the issue.

I also found that I have similar symptoms when I eat dairy. I thought I may be becoming lactose intolerant. After eliminating dairy for a month I reintroduced dairy by eating a scoop of ice cream. Before I had finished eating I had symptoms. Long story short I am not lactose intolerant but have a sensitivity to casein which is a milk protein. As I remember, for those individuals that are sensitive, casein causes a release of histamine. I have retested and symptoms disappear when I mega dose with vitamin C.

May be a long shot but it took me years to figure this out. Each of my primary care physicians recommended antihistamines, which all had the typical side effects for me. Vitamin C is a better option for me and more effective.

Good luck.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but the link below has a good blog regarding histamine sensitivity. There is also a follow up post on the same site.

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2011/04/11/histamine-intolerance/
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »
    Not to beat a dead horse, but the link below has a good blog regarding histamine sensitivity. There is also a follow up post on the same site.

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2011/04/11/histamine-intolerance/

Goodness, this article is long, and it's interesting, particularly as someone who suffers massive nasal allergies, but so many of his symptoms just do not apply, like maybe 3 out of 10, and then only partially... I'll still just keep an awareness.... Always good to know.

And my B-Complex has some vitamin C in it, but I really hate taking C vitamins, because my body seems to DUMP all of it in my waste!!!!
  • deoxy4
    Options
    And my B-Complex has some vitamin C in it, but I really hate taking C vitamins, because my body seems to DUMP all of it in my waste!!!!

Are you referring to vitamin C elimination in your urine or gut and/or bowel elimination?

I don't see a problem with elimination in your urine as it is the body's natural means of disposing of water soluble vitamins and happens all the time. I may be missing your issue.

If your issue is gut and/or bowel irritation you may want to research a buffered vitamin C supplement. I have no knowledge of these products so I can't speak about their effectiveness.

I always take a vitamin C supplement with food. I don't know how effective that is in minimizing upset but it may help.

Vitamin C has a short biological half life so taking it in small doses throughout the day may be helpful to minimize upset.

Selecting high vitamin C foods might be a good option. If you like or tolerate sweet peppers are a very good source of vitamin C which may be less irritating than citrus. I think peppers have more vitamin C content than citrus? I frequently lunch or snack on mini peppers I stuff with cream cheese, olives and thinly sliced ham.
    Good way to get a good protein/fat source and vitamin C and low carb.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't do much of anything sweet right now...even peppers and stuff. I'm working to find my balance there...

But yes, it bothers me that it wastes in my urine. I use that for hydration verification - due to stress and timing and stuff, and when it's neon, its hard for me to check that level. Plus it makes a mess with any...activity.

I don't generally have any upset from supplements. High C foods are generally rainbow colored and right now, my palate is sticking to dark greens. I'll focus on working more range back in, but it might take a while as finances are tighter than usual for a bit, and I have to stick with tried and true. Any sweeter veggies tend to trigger my IR...