Can we talk about saddles? Pretty sure I need to change mine up.

Options
2»

Replies

• mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone. All of these variables are overwhelming as are the variations of saddle choices. I feel that once I get this last issue resolved I should be good from here on. I think I might try out a Serfas since they do have a solid return policy through Amazon.

@m1xm0d3 which saddle did you end up with? Are you loving it or is it too soon to say?
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    mikeyrs wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone. All of these variables are overwhelming as are the variations of saddle choices. I feel that once I get this last issue resolved I should be good from here on. I think I might try out a Serfas since they do have a solid return policy through Amazon.

@m1xm0d3 which saddle did you end up with? Are you loving it or is it too soon to say?

I'm still on the same saddle.. I can't part with it. I am trying out different cycling shorts and I believe that has made the difference. Sugoi were the culprit, I believe. The Canari shorts and Trek bibs I acquired seem to work better for me. I'm still not 100% at ease but it has been a relief.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    The saga continues.... well the sores are back. 2 of them. Same right side. Went to a different, more comprehensive, shop and was able to determine my left leg is shorter than my right. Probably causing some saddle rocking. Took some steps to offset the difference. Tried a new saddle but after riding 100+ miles this weekend, the saddle is a no-go. Too stiff and rigid with little padding. The end result from that is a pretty sore pair of sit bones. I am planning to swap saddles but not before this weekend because I have the century ride on Saturday. All in all I am not to happy right now. Once this century ride is over I may step back and take some time off to figure out what I want to do, long-term.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    well, you could stand on the pedals 100% of the time. Imagine the workout you will get! :wink:
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    well, you could stand on the pedals 100% of the time. Imagine the workout you will get! :wink:

My co-worker that also rides said the same exact thing today! :grimace:

• Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Some of us are prone to saddle sores, even when using the right creams, chamois, and saddles. Every time I up my mileage then the saddle sores start cropping up. They are almost always on the left side and in the same spot. I will start using sea breeze or another strong astringent every morning and night to get rid of the sore. I will also have to "pop" the head and disinfect the sore to be able to keep riding.

Real fun hunh? I have learned that I literally and metaphorically have thin skin and will have to treat the symptoms since there is no real cure. I've threatened to wear sand-paper underwear and bath my crotch is kerosene if it would toughen my skin enough to stop the sores and chafing (this happens normally when my daily mileage exceeds 200 miles/300k).

Best wishes on healing and preventing the sores. BTW, I've dropped the big bucks $200+ on a Selle SMP saddle. I would like to try a Brooks B17 Imperial to see if it works. I loved a Selle Anatomica but it proved too fragile when exposed to rain.

-D
  • m1xm0d3
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Dahamac wrote: »
    Some of us are prone to saddle sores, even when using the right creams, chamois, and saddles. Every time I up my mileage then the saddle sores start cropping up. They are almost always on the left side and in the same spot. I will start using sea breeze or another strong astringent every morning and night to get rid of the sore. I will also have to "pop" the head and disinfect the sore to be able to keep riding.

Real fun hunh? I have learned that I literally and metaphorically have thin skin and will have to treat the symptoms since there is no real cure. I've threatened to wear sand-paper underwear and bath my crotch is kerosene if it would toughen my skin enough to stop the sores and chafing (this happens normally when my daily mileage exceeds 200 miles/300k).

Best wishes on healing and preventing the sores. BTW, I've dropped the big bucks $200+ on a Selle SMP saddle. I would like to try a Brooks B17 Imperial to see if it works. I loved a Selle Anatomica but it proved too fragile when exposed to rain.

-D

Thanks for the info and encouragement. This has been a record setting year for me and I absolutely loathe the fact that this has been the thorn in my side almost the entire time. I'd probably be a little more ok with it if it was a more common occurrence but every rider I talk to seems to be problem free which leaves me asking, why me??? I'm doing everything I can to treat and prevent. I strip down and clean up right after every ride. I use alcohol wipes or witch hazel, and even apply Neosporin before bed. but these 2 now are deep down and not at the surface at all. Nothing to pop, just a firm, tender lump. I am taking some antibiotics now to try and clear up the infection from the inside since the surface layer skin seems to be healed up. Uuugh.
  • Archon2
    Options
    Let that heal up. Might take a while from the sound of it, which I can tell is really frustrating your ride agenda.

By the way, anyone try one of these?!

IMG_23717-630x420.jpg
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer some advice not already given. All I can say is that my dad swears by Desitin, the diaper rash ointment. Maybe it could at least keep the sores from getting too bad.
  • Dahamac
    Options
    Yeah, if they are deep antibiotics may be the order of the day. Maybe time to consult a dermatologist?

The old pros rode on steak wrapped in butcher paper to ease the pain.

While treating you might try lidocaine directly on the sore for relief. Something like Brave Soldier Antiseptic Ointment.

RAAM riders wind up doubling up on shorts to relieve the pain.
  • m1xm0d3
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been off the bike for almost 4 days now. The surface layer of skin is healed, No weeping or discharge or anything,. which there never really was any (gross, I know... TMI) Just the lumps deep down which seem to be subsiding so I guess the antibiotics are working to kill off the bacteria and shrinking the affected area.
    Earlier this year when I had one I thought I might need surgery to remove (probably because I kept squeezing and irritating it trying to pop and drain something that wasn't pop-able) but when I took antibiotics for another problem, it cleared the sore up completely so I am hopeful these will go the same route and not require a doctors intervention. I have used diaper rash cream on actual chaffed parts before, chaffing you can tell has gone a bit raw, no denying, unlike these 2 that the surface skin seems fine, doesnt seem raw or abraded at all, only the deep lumps there as an indicator.

I have chamois butt'r, it's slick to touch but also seems thin... does anyone use something that comes in a stick, like a waxy balm? something that when you apply, it sticks instead of smears like lotion? Or maybe something dry & non-greasy like Lanacane that makes a smooth barrier between skin and clothing?
  • Archon2
    Options
    Some anti-inflammatory drug like aspirin or ibuprofen regularly for a few days might also help it heal up faster with the antibiotics, if you can tolerate those. Hey, if you haven't seen the doctor for a full course of antibiotics, you might want to do that...partially killing off the infection with incomplete time/dosage isn't good either!
  • Dahamac
    Options
    I've started using chamois cremes that have some antibacterial properties (DZ nuts & Enzo's Buttonhole). I've had drastically fewer sores since switching to these cremes. The sore that I am currently fighting is due to an ill-fitting saddle that is too wide.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Some anti-inflammatory drug like aspirin or ibuprofen regularly for a few days might also help it heal up faster with the antibiotics, if you can tolerate those. Hey, if you haven't seen the doctor for a full course of antibiotics, you might want to do that...partially killing off the infection with incomplete time/dosage isn't good either!

I have a 10 day supply, I am hoping that will eradicate the infection. I rode to work for the first time today. Albeit on my MTB with a different, more rigid saddle. I applied butt'r before I left and I felt fine when I got here. No tenderness or abrasion. I do take ibu to help with arthritis in my knee.
    I've started using chamois cremes that have some antibacterial properties (DZ nuts & Enzo's Buttonhole). I've had drastically fewer sores since switching to these cremes. The sore that I am currently fighting is due to an ill-fitting saddle that is too wide.

When browsing, I did notice DZ Nuts had AB properties. I wish I had noticed this before ordering chamois butt'r, which has none. How is the viscosity of the DZ?
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options

-D

Thanks for the info and encouragement. This has been a record setting year for me and I absolutely loathe the fact that this has been the thorn in my side almost the entire time. I'd probably be a little more ok with it if it was a more common occurrence but every rider I talk to seems to be problem free which leaves me asking, why me??? I'm doing everything I can to treat and prevent. I strip down and clean up right after every ride. I use alcohol wipes or witch hazel, and even apply Neosporin before bed. but these 2 now are deep down and not at the surface at all. Nothing to pop, just a firm, tender lump. I am taking some antibiotics now to try and clear up the infection from the inside since the surface layer skin seems to be healed up. Uuugh.

To fight infection, start taking dandelion root supplements. I haven't been sick or gotten an infection of any kind in years since I began taking Solaray Dandelion. Same experience with Dandelion for my wife. Try 3-4 capsules twice a day for a couple months. It's awesome stuff!

Tea from Stinging Nettle leaves relieves soreness and discomfort from abrasion, as well as allergic responses. (The root is commonly used in Asia and Europe to treat benign prostate inflammation.)