Can we talk about saddles? Pretty sure I need to change mine up.

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Road bike. Was just fitted a few weeks ago. At the time I felt like my current saddle was the right fit, even with having developed a few sores I was able to treat myself. It's the same saddle I've used for the past 3,000 miles. I've tried about 5 different saddles, most from the bike purchase and not an individual purchase. The current one is what has worked best. I take all precautionary measures. When I come home and strip down and clean up, I am not sore at all. IE-there is no indication to me mid-ride that I have some abrasions occurring. However, I noticed a lump that was deep under the skin, surely the beginning of a sore. The next day, it's more apparent and becoming bothersome but not intolerable. So while I feel fine when riding 2+ hours, there is something causing the chaffing and sores to develop on my right side.
I am going back to the LBS that fit me today to discuss options. They have a demo program where you can put down a deposit for a saddle to try until the right one is found but for petes sake they start at no less than $100 and go well over $200.

I do use cream and have a nice pair of shorts with a nice chamois padding.

Are sores for high mileage riders just an inevitable part of the sport?

Did any of you guys experience saddle problems such as this? If so, how did you alleviate the problem?

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I have a ladies specific saddle with an indent in the centre, with a hole on it. This allows me to rest my weight on the sit bones, and keeps the soft tissue cool. I'd never go back to an androgynous one again.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good pair of properly fitting shorts is all you need. Never used chamois cream in my life.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How much is not having saddle sores worth to you? If I had that problem, I'd pay $200 in a heartbeat. That said, having the right saddle is the key. Everyone's body is different and what works for some does not work for others. Experimentation is the key.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I take it you've had your sit bones measured to ensure you're getting the right width saddle?

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been riding for 26 years the best saddle I've ridden is a Brookes saddle. Nothing conforms to you better than leather. Contrary to popular belief I did not experience any break in period, it was better that my previous sit bone fit saddle from day 1.

However no saddle will NOT compensate for a poorly fit bike and most bike shops STINK at fitting women. I know a lot of people disagree there is enough difference to matter but that is not my experience. My husband also noticed the difference during cycling season when we found a shop that didn't treat a fit like a mini man, if you get my drift and if you don't you need to get out more often. :wink:
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Used to get the same pain when doing over 15 miles. I've tried several saddles with success; believe it or not, this very inexpensive one was a good one for me: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/5000.html. I even put one on my MTB. Check the reviews on Amazon too, if you are interested.

However, I think the real answer is to just keep trying different ones until you finally get something that works.

My new Cdale came with a saddle that is branded Cdale....so far it isn't too bad so I may keep it for a while. Need a 35mi + ride to get a better idea.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Road bike. Was just fitted a few weeks ago. At the time I felt like my current saddle was the right fit, even with having developed a few sores I was able to treat myself. It's the same saddle I've used for the past 3,000 miles. I've tried about 5 different saddles, most from the bike purchase and not an individual purchase. The current one is what has worked best. I take all precautionary measures. When I come home and strip down and clean up, I am not sore at all. IE-there is no indication to me mid-ride that I have some abrasions occurring. However, I noticed a lump that was deep under the skin, surely the beginning of a sore. The next day, it's more apparent and becoming bothersome but not intolerable. So while I feel fine when riding 2+ hours, there is something causing the chaffing and sores to develop on my right side.
    I am going back to the LBS that fit me today to discuss options. They have a demo program where you can put down a deposit for a saddle to try until the right one is found but for petes sake they start at no less than $100 and go well over $200.

Well, Getting the bike fit was a good first start. One thing i'd observe is, if they changed the saddle height in a "material" way (i.e. more than 5mm up or down, back or front) then the occasional sore may happen as your position has changed from the one you've just knocked 3000 miles up in - basically you've moved slightly, and are now bearing down on somewhere slightly different. If it's always on the same side, a) check your shorts - is there either a worn spot in the chamois padding, or a fold, or an area where the overlock seams double up on that side. b) the other thing to watch for, if it's always on one side is if it's some form of "imbalance" in your physical makeup - say one leg slightly weaker than the other, a slight knee or foot problem on one side that makes you "lopsided" - this again comes out more when you either push harder to go quickly, or you ride for longer and get more fatigued... the more tired you get, the more pronounced the imbalance becomes, and the more you end up rubbing on one side. This is why the "dynamic fit" bike setups these days (like Retul for example) are good - they use live video capture to highlight imbalances whilst actually pedalling - much more effective if you DO have imbalance problems than a simple tape-measure and goniometer checkup that passes for a bike fit.

I do use cream and have a nice pair of shorts with a nice chamois padding.

That's certainly a good start - shorts are never something to stint upon, and obviously, as they're underwear, one ride, one pair of shorts (o.k. - commuting, maybe 1 day, 1 pair - but i'd be very, very fastidious about cleaning up down there after riding in, and straight in the shower for a good scrub around after the second ride. Shorts, washed inside out, in one of those mesh laundry bags, 20°C wash, using washing soap rather than any biological wash powder/liquid. I swear by Fairy Non Bio - i'm not in any way fussy about using other laundry detergents on normal clothing, but all the cycling kit gets the non-bio treatment.

Are sores for high mileage riders just an inevitable part of the sport?

For Some people, sadly, yes. Just like some people are prone to blackheads, or spots, or ingrowing hairs when they shave. Other people seem to be impervious to anything. And all the points imbetween. But whatever position you have on that spectrum, you can take steps to minimise the problem - mostly down to rigorous personal hygiene and getting a saddle and shorts that suit you. As to what that is, well - that's something only you can find out, because only you have (to be blunt) your *kitten* and balls.

Did any of you guys experience saddle problems such as this? If so, how did you alleviate the problem?

Trial and Error. As a youth, and into my late 20's I never had any problems, could ride any make of saddle, shorts at the early end of my career had REAL Chamois - yep - from a Goat. Genuine Washleather. Had to be incredibly careful when you washed them to allow them to dry slowly and naturaly, and to feed the leather or it'd end up being like a cheesegrater... The first synthetic ones were a godsend - though compared to modern stretchy, padded, gel infused and incredibly high-tech ones, they were basically a bit of fleece with a foam backing and some terry-towelling around the front to soak up nut-sweat.

When I came back to riding after a big accident and a 15 year lay-off, I had terrible problems - Eventually resorted to Ebay. Basically, did my research, got measured for "sit bone width" and shortlisted a bunch of saddles. Bought one of the cheaper ones second hand from ebay, rode it for a month to give me time to get used to it, decided it wasn't right after a couple of weeks, so picked the next one on the list, bought that, and listed the first one. Rinse, and repeat for around 15 saddles until i'd 3 I quite liked (if I wasn't 100% sure it was wrong, I'd keep it but still progress to the next on the list), at that point I did back-to-back tests. I'd been at it maybe 6 months by then, and was riding longer distances, so one of the earlier favourites ended up being condemned. At this point I'd a couple of saddles which suited and I'd basically sold all the others back on ebay... I'd actually covered my money doing so - buying badly described/mis-listed saddles on the cheap, and cleaning them up, and photographing them well, listing them properly, and all the other ebay tricks of the trade, meant I'd lost nothing but a little time. Eventually I settled on one of the saddles as being ideal for me on my roadbike, and the other was actually best suited to the MTB as it was a little wider, and slightly more "hammock-ey" - i.e. you sit "in" it, in one place, whereas my saddle of preference (fizik arione as it happens) is pretty flat and kind of allows you to slide forward and aft depending on the terrain and effort you're putting in. At that point, I'd got the saddle shape nailed, and I went out and bought a new one for the "best bike" of a slightly upmarket model. I now live in fear of Fizik announcing that they're discontinuing the 2 models I like, but that's kind of par for the course.

spdoman7 wrote: »
    Good pair of properly fitting shorts is all you need. Never used chamois cream in my life.

Good for you, but, as I've said above, not everyones the same. The OP's experiencing problems, it's much more useful to give options than to deny that theres a potential issue.

lpherman01 wrote: »
    How much is not having saddle sores worth to you? If I had that problem, I'd pay $200 in a heartbeat. That said, having the right saddle is the key. Everyone's body is different and what works for some does not work for others. Experimentation is the key.

Amen. If anyone were to ask me 40 miles from home, when I've a hole the size of a thumbnail in the side of my sack, if i'd hand over £200 (never mind $200) to make it go away immediately i'd cheerfully do so.

BikeTourer wrote: »
    I've been riding for 26 years the best saddle I've ridden is a Brookes saddle. Nothing conforms to you better than leather. Contrary to popular belief I did not experience any break in period, it was better that my previous sit bone fit saddle from day 1.

I loved my Brooks back in the day - and If I was building myself a long-distance touring bike, it'd probably still be the place I'd look for a saddle, but somehow on a modern carbon fibre bike they just don't look right, and if I can get something as comfortable, at a third the weight, that looks good, and doesn't need to be covered if left out in the rain, or fed if you DO ride in the rain with it, then for a day-to-day bike I'll take the easy option. I must say the new Cambium range covers most of my issues with the wet weather perfomance though, and I may possibly consider trying one of those at some point.

Archon2 wrote: »
    My new Cdale came with a saddle that is branded Cdale....so far it isn't too bad so I may keep it for a while. Need a 35mi + ride to get a better idea.

Yeah, my CaadX had one of their own brand saddles - must say it was pretty comfortable, right until the day the "hull" broke in half and left me to ride 30 miles home with the front and back of the saddle held onto the frame with gaffa tape.

• Archon2
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

Yeah, my CaadX had one of their own brand saddles - must say it was pretty comfortable, right until the day the "hull" broke in half and left me to ride 30 miles home with the front and back of the saddle held onto the frame with gaffa tape.

OK, I rode a little today, thought about this, and as I went I am half expecting it to just shatter :wink:
  • Archon2
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

OK, I rode a little today, thought about this, and as I went I am half expecting it to just shatter :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, you don't weigh what I did when I broke mine, and it WAS on a cyclocross bike that I'd been rattling around on trails much better suited to something with suspension...
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    spdoman7 wrote: »

I thiiiink this may be part of the problem. These sores didn't show until I got a pair of Sugoi shorts. And it looks like the stitch line for the chamois sits right along the same place where the sore is. I'm still investigating the possibility of it being these shorts.
    lpherman01 wrote: »

Not having saddle sores is paramount to my riding. But you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. Care to loan me $200? (See my point here?)
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I take it you've had your sit bones measured to ensure you're getting the right width saddle?

Something the first fitting shop didn't bother touching on. I am going to a different shop that does this, soon. Maybe this week.
    Used to get the same pain when doing over 15 miles. I've tried several saddles with success; believe it or not, this very inexpensive one was a good one for me: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/5000.html. I even put one on my MTB. Check the reviews on Amazon too, if you are interested.

However, I think the real answer is to just keep trying different ones until you finally get something that works.

Archon, I had that same saddle in black/red. It was on my MTB until I broke the saddle from falling over lol. It was decent but not the best I've had.

I went for an 80 mile ride yesterday and I did experience a minor bit of chaffing but considering that was a PR for distance I think I did very well. I really hope this other shop will find another reason for the sore development other than the current saddle because I do like it. But who knows, maybe they will show me one that properly fits ME @ 6'7" 245 lbs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can't speak to the possible causes, as I've never had this problem. But... consider the bigger picture here. Why would you ever skimp on tires, helmet, shorts or saddle? IMO, the overall experience of riding improves SIGNIFICANTLY when safety and/or comfort aren't constantly on your mind... when all you have to do is point your bike in the right direction and keep the pedals turning.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the question of saddle sores because, knock on wood, thus far I've never had one. Saddles, on the other hand, I've struggled with a bit. My current road bike saddle is one of the new Specialized Power Pros and I absolutely adore it. It solved a lot of numbness issues I was having.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The common inclination is for a saddle to be installed with the nose facing straight forward in line with the top tube.

I have found that it is best when I have the nose slightly right of the top tube. This is the case with several bikes now.

Most of us have one foot larger than the other, one leg longer than the other, one arm, one boob and ect. Because of variation in leg length it can be beneficial to have the seat pointed slightly left or right of center.

Experiment, try it and see if that annoying hot spot gets some improvement.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    The common inclination is for a saddle to be installed with the nose facing straight forward in line with the top tube.

I have found that it is best when I have the nose slightly right of the top tube. This is the case with several bikes now.

Most of us have one foot larger than the other, one leg longer than the other, one arm, one boob and ect. Because of variation in leg length it can be beneficial to have the seat pointed slightly left or right of center.

Experiment, try it and see if that annoying hot spot gets some improvement.

This seems like a good idea... the few sores I've had were always on the right, never the left side. My left knee has been operated on several times. Left hip, too. So maybe there's something to that....
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Took me five or six to find the right one back when I was racing 25 years ago. When I restarted ride in ernest beginning of the year, the saddle still worked like a charm. Thought I would need to switch the saddle after getting a new bike, 7 months old, but took immediate liking to stock. Funny, the two are not that similar - San Marcro Rolls and Ritchey Streem Comp. You'll just have to experiment.

I would check on the short fit also. As my weight dropped, my initial set started moving around too much. It don't matter how expensive they are if they don't fit right. For me the gel stuff is just disagreeable once the mileage increased. YMMV.

FYI - Sit bone widths works for some but not others. At worst, it's a marketing gimmick. But do take advantage of trial program; it beats having an inventory.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Previously, I had invested a fair sum of money in saddles until I found the right type for me. Since then, no follow on issues. I'd assume you have a large frame, and I'd bet a few bucks you would benefit from a wider saddle. If you're open to laying out $70 or $80, please try the Serfas RX Performance and the Serfas RX Race Ready saddles for a while. The Serfas saddle return policy is extra generous so if you don't like one or the other, there's no risk to you with their money-back guarantee. I found the RX Performance saddle is ideal for flat bars and the RX Race Ready with drooping nose is awesome for bikes with drop bars. There seems to be a lot of technology in these saddles, and they are a great deal for the money compared to most performance brands. See them here: https://www.serfas.com/products/view/175/referer:products|index|saddles|rx-saddles and here: https://www.serfas.com/products/view/909/referer:products|index|saddles|rx-saddles.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. All of these variables are overwhelming as are the variations of saddle choices. I feel that once I get this last issue resolved I should be good from here on. I think I might try out a Serfas since they do have a solid return policy through Amazon.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be aware, but most (decent) bike shops either have a very liberal return policy on saddles or a "loaner fleet" of the various types of saddles they sell. My experience has been that most shops use either loaners or the return policy to allow you to keep a saddle for 30 days or so. The good shops understand that you can only judge a saddle by spending time with your butt on it.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    You may or may not be aware, but most (decent) bike shops either have a very liberal return policy on saddles or a "loaner fleet" of the various types of saddles they sell. My experience has been that most shops use either loaners or the return policy to allow you to keep a saddle for 30 days or so. The good shops understand that you can only judge a saddle by spending time with your butt on it.

I am but thanks for the reminder. The shop that does offer a loaner program ($50 deposit) is the shop that fit me. Although I am not 100% sure of their fitting process and am reluctant to go back. Another shop that has the means to take an impression of the sit bones and measurement, who also seems more invested in that whole process, does not offer any loaners with deposit. Only a return policy. Still weighing my options here...