Can someone please explain net carbs to me?

kiely32
kiely32 Posts: 46 Member
So I am pretty new to this, 4 days, and have been doing lots of research! However I am not getting net carbs/fibre? Can someone please explain?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    kiely32 wrote: »
    So I am pretty new to this, 4 days, and have been doing lots of research! However I am not getting net carbs/fibre? Can someone please explain?

From what I understand it's total carbs - fiber = net carbs. Now for the fun part, it depends where you live how carbs are listed on the labels. The US uses total carbs, elsewhere just carbs, or the US does the math elsewhere it's already done.
    It gets interesting when we use an international food database that doesn't have a way to tell place of origin. I check new foods against an old diabetes book I have.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Humans like to categorize things. Carbs come in many forms. We categorize some of them as "digestible" and others as "indigestible." The digestible ones have the biggest impact on metabolism, so we can pretend to ignore the other category by just looking at net carbs = digestible - indigestible.

Of course, the "indigestible" ones have an impact too, especially in terms of feeding the bugs in our gut (which then feed us some of the metabolites), so some people like to count them too. :)