Keto and Alcohol Tolerance

Hey all! Something I've noticed since going keto, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it too, is that my desire for alcohol and my tolerance level have both drastically reduced. Not only do I not really want a drink very often, but when I do have a glass of wine, I can only have one before feeling kinda tipsy, whereas before I could drink 2 or 3 with no problem. I'm thinking it has something to do with becoming fat adapted and metabolizing sugars less. Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    edited August 2015
    While never having been a big drinker, I have definitely found that since low carbing, keto-ing or zero carbing (I do a bit of each!) that my alcohol tolerance is rubbish.

Only 1 or 2 glasses of wine, particularly on an empty stomach, makes me light headed straight away! I think it has got to do with adapting, but alcohol will always be burnt off preferentially before anything else. For me the challenge is not eating anything unsuitable while drinking.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Alcohol is my food trigger too. if I don't drink i have no problem staying on program
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    I found that my alcohol tolerance was significantly changed when I went keto. It was quite a surprise although it is mentioned in some books. I found that it helped significantly to drink extra water with the alcohol. I've been eating this way for about 8 months now and my tolerance is still at the new level. Makes it a lot cheaper to go out. lol Even though I'm drinking Jack Daniels instead of beer to avoid the carbs.

In the beginning I found alcohol sometimes led me to bad food choices and although I might go raid the fridge it's easy to stick with good choices.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one! Alcohol can definitely trigger me, but even without that, I was just surprised that I lost the desire for it too. I used to really enjoy have a few glasses of wine. Now, not so much. The first time I had a drink after becoming keto-adapted, I was shocked at my body's response!
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    I found that my alcohol tolerance was significantly changed when I went keto. It was quite a surprise although it is mentioned in some books. I found that it helped significantly to drink extra water with the alcohol. I've been eating this way for about 8 months now and my tolerance is still at the new level. Makes it a lot cheaper to go out. lol Even though I'm drinking Jack Daniels instead of beer to avoid the carbs.

In the beginning I found alcohol sometimes led me to bad food choices and although I might go raid the fridge it's easy to stick with good choices.

Great point about the water! I know on keto we have to be extra careful to stay hydrated. It does make for cheaper outings, lol! Do you happen to remember the names of the books you read that talk about keto and alcohol?
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Ketone Power by Christian Vlad Zot is one that I just verified mentions it. Here is the note I found:

"Most of the keto dieters I know unanimously agree that it takes very little alcohol to start feeling the "happiness" effect."

His book is mostly anecdotal but it's easy to read and matches up well with what little I know about the keto WOL. My experience is that my tolerance for alcohol is 50% of what it was. Quite dramatic the first time I figured it out!