New to the group :)

Options
galabrielle98
galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
So I'm new to this group but not to swimming. I've been swimming since I was 5 months old and my dad tried to see if babies could swim lol :). I try to swim6 days a week but only in the summer because I only have access to an outdoor pool. My new school is closing their pool. :( Anyone else a reluctant seasonal swimmer?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My Mom read it in a Reader's Digest article in the early 1960s, and had me in the water at 6 months.

I used to have sort of the opposite seasonality. I used to go on swim hiatus in the summer because they close the indoor pool and the outdoor pool has too many screaming kids, too much sunlight and no early morning or late evening hours (I burn even with 100 SPF sunblock). But this summer they had to keep the indoor pool open because the pump s gave out on the outdoor one. So yay! I get to swim indoors in the summer!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm fortunate to be able to swim year round, with both an indoor and outdoor pool at my YMCA. Indoor pool is small, only four lanes, but we make it work. I didn't learn to swim until I was 10 years old though, when this Brooklyn, NY kid moved to Florida. I didn't start swimming for exercise until I was almost 40. I wouldn't love having to give it up seasonally, that's for sure!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was another one in the pool at 6 months. We had a pool and the parents wanted to make sure I could save myself if every I fell in or something, so they got me into infant swim lessons. I've loved swimming my whole life, though I'm newly back at it. Thankfully I can swim year round at our local indoor aquatic park - assuming I can get the children (I'm a teacher) to go home on time after rehearsal so I can get to the pool before they close. I definitely swim a lot more in the summer.

Welcome to the group!
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I wasn't at the pool quite that young, but still when I was pretty little. My dad was a professor at a small college, and the physical education students needed kids to practice on for their classes in teaching swimming. The professors were encouraged to volunteer their kids. So 1:1 ratio. I remember being the demonstration kid that the professor worked with in front of the whole class sometimes, too. Maybe I had bad form that needed to be corrected?