Giving gluten free another try...anyone else have these symptoms?

Options
mrsroddy1228
mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
Hey all!

Thanks for letting me be part of this group :) I have been on and off gluten free for about 4 months and have noticed that I do feel better and have more energy when I am not eating gluten. Some of the other side effects I was having eating gluten was soreness/numbness in hands and extremely dry mouth. Anyone else have these issues with gluten??

I am going to start back on a gluten free diet this week and def need support! :)

Replies

• lovelymusiclady
    lovelymusiclady Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

I went gf because I discovered it was a migraine trigger for me. I've had friends and relatives who get all kinds of different symptoms.

It's hard to say. A lot of it could be how processed and gmo'd modern bread is. I would switch to very high quality bread products from a local health food store. Check the label, make sure there isn't a bunch of added crap in there. If you find you still have symptoms, then you may actually be intolerant (that's what I found.)

Be careful though. I fell into the trap of thinking "It's gluten free, it must be healthy!" Twenty pounds later I discovered gf carbs can be just as unhealthy as processed white carbs. Be smart, always read labels and know what you're REALLY eating.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have recently gone GF, primarily because my daughter is a Gluten Sensitive, intestinal issues, headaches and sinus issues primarily. There is an addictive quality to wheat or gluten and you must resist the temptation to give into the gluten addiction. I watched a youtu.be video where a doctor talked about the effect gluten has on your body. Today's wheat is not the same as what people ate for 10,000 years, it was modified in the 60's, so the modern wheat is the culprit that makes you sick. The pesticides used in the production of wheat and the way it is processed is part of the problem. Modern wheat was developed using radiation to mutate the original wheat. Wheat is very unhealthy and it would be wise to avoid it.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you are going GF, then you should also not be consuming high fructose corn sugar (HFCS) and be restricting processed foods.
  • hockeymama1963
    hockeymama1963 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I tried GF a year ago and I was feeling better- arthritis was almost gone. It became a pain in the backside and expensive. I hate GF bread and I am a bread freak!!. I made my own GF bread and it tasted good by the texture and dryness was too much to handle. Alas my arthritis is back and I have gained a lot of weight so I am back on the GF low carbs diet again. Help !!!!
  • danineff
    danineff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WEll I am going back to Gluten free I break out in a rash and hives and have major stomach issues . Comes and goes I can't seem to stay away from it. But I have to or my reactions will just get worse.
  • christyk117
    christyk117 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease. I went GF almost 6 years ago. I too was a big bread fan. For the 1st 6 months I didn't know what I could eat, dietician said insurance wouldn't cover a consultation. So I ate meats, veggies and fruits and lost 25 lbs. Then I found what I could eat that was GF(junk foods) and went on anti-depressants and packed on the weight. Gluten Free carbs are higher in calories than normal bread. I cut out carbs at lunch and dinner. It's helped a little but I struggle. I don't suggest a gluten free diet to anyone that doesn't medically need it. It's not a diet, it's a necessity for me.
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off GF a few times. Every time I do it I feel so much better! my headaches almost completely disappear, I no longer have horrible stomach cramps (gas, bloating etc), I also feel like I am sleeping better. I wake up easier and have more energy throughout the day. I have IBS and going GF also helps with that. I am currently about 2 weeks GF and I have never felt better! It is hard at times (I am a pizza and breadstick freak!) but I just eat different things when my family is eating pizza.
  • toriann22
    toriann22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pizza Pizza has a delicious gluten free pizza! I can only eat 3 pieces of a 10" pizza. I also get light cheese because I don't really eat dairy anymore due to having issues my whole life. I felt like I was eating with my family! Just have some delicious grapes for dessert!
  • daphnest
    daphnest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have went gf because it affects my asthma and I get sick to my stomach but I have found good foods out there that is gluten free.
  • shelzbak2016
    shelzbak2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am just starting my gluten free journey. Are there things I should be careful of besides watching and reading labels. I am eliminating it to see if my asthma and allergies/sinus problems get better and am not celiac. Any tips or suggestions to ease the withdrawl symptoms?

• marisue89
    marisue89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have gone gluten free because of a wheat intolerance I have, and that's about the only way to avoid wheat. It's just about in everything! If I eat wheat, I get major stomach issues with bloating/GERD. Not fun! It also affects my asthma. I was tested for celiac, but it came up negative.

In the past, I was sent to a pulmonologist because my allergy doctor couldn't figure out why I was having so many problems with my asthma. That pulmonologist threw one drug after another at me because he couldn't figure it out either.

Went off wheat, and was able to wean off all the extra drugs (about 7) that the pulmonologist had added to my regimen. Have just been on my regular asthma medications since with no further asthma flares except when I get a bout of bronchitis.

I don't care for any of the gluten free breads, so I just use a GF corn tortilla or romaine lettuce leaves when I want a sandwich. I eat lots of fruits/vegetables and some GF grains. Be careful of bulk items as they can get contaminated from others using scoops in nearby bins.
  • handbreadth
    handbreadth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JJ Vergin has a good book out about taking out 7 foods for 21 days and then re-introducing one at a time back into your diet to see which ones are causing so much pain. Wheat belly is another great book. Against All Grains is also a great cook book.