Day one August ninth - fifteenth challenge

Options
maoribadger
maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
How is everyone. I'm still struggling but planning on weighing in and logging from tomorrow. My husband is joining me as he weighed himself and he's gained over a stone recently and should really lose three to be healthy

Replies

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I am still around, just not posting much, but I am reading everyone's posts.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I completely spaced out yesterday. I did laundry, totally clean and organized my room... threw out a lot of stuff and went to see my dad in the hospital. (prayers needed please)... spent about an hour with my niece. I did manage to eat well.

Lise, hopefully weighing in and measuring and getting back into the grove will help you feel a bit better.

Nancy, everything OK??
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Lise. These things are generally easier with the OH supporting us, so maybe that will help, but maybe knowing that he will likely lose faster (most men suck that way) can be demoralizing, so be prepared.

Waves high to Nancy and any others MIA...

Hugs, thoughts, and prayers your way Cari... I need to follow your decluttering example. I think that will be one of my goals this week/month...
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    OMG Carly, it felt so awesome to have that "monkey" off my back called the storage unit. It also helped me detox and sweat out the little bit of bad stuff I ate (M&Ms last week)....My room was a mess also. MESS. UGH. But now it's clean and new sheets on the bed and new quilt there also..... makes it look all pretty. Plus on the upside, it truly helped with the mania. I slept soooooo good Saturday into Sunday and Sunday into Monday. So nice to finally get a great nights sleep.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm so happy it helped. My main stumbling block is that the things all have intrinsic value, yet no one wants to buy them, and giving them away when I'm dead @$$ broke seems so WRONG.... Do you have that problem?
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Good morning Carly!! Yes, same issue here.. My only saving grace is living home with family.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Meaning that you don't have space to clutter all your stuff up? I don't have a storage unit...just an extra closet, but it's still way too much stuff. Anyone have any good decluttering programs/plans??
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I read a great book on decluttering. The title is "the life-changing magic of tidying up' by a japanese women called Marie Kondo. She has great suggestions and I have followed them as I declutter and get rid of stuff for my move home in November. There are some things she suggests like:

1. Do not declutter little by little, but get it done and over with in a short time. One category per day.
    2. Sort out your stuff by categories...not by location or where it is located in your house/apt. In other words categories would be clothing, books, and not by where it is located such as one bedroom here and another bedroom on another day.

Take everything you have in each category and lay it is one spot. Eg. Take all your clothes from everywhere you store them, spread them out on the floor, pick up each outfit and see if it sparks joy. By taking all the items you have in one category, you will have a better idea of how much stuff you have of that category and you will be shocked!
    4. Only two tasks you need to do: discard items and deciding where to keep things. Discarding comes first.
    5. Select your items to get rid of by carefully choosing what you want to keep.Take each item in your hand and ask: "Does this spark joy?" If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it! You must handle each item and go thru this process."Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest."
    6. Suggestion on which order of categories to start and end with are: Clothing first, books, papers, miscellaneous and lastly mementos.

I have to say the author sure helped me see 'the light at the end of the tunnel'. I can't tell you how much clothing I have (or had...), or the photos I had....duplicates/triplicates etc. I really sorted by category as she suggested, and it worked very well! The books I had...OMG...I have donated so many management books to our facility's library, I think they are going to put a name plaque up with my name in honor of the well over 100 books I donated!!

Happy decluttering!
    nancy
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    I do, I do.... raises hand. Grab a good friend.... ask them to help you determine what to keep/get rid of. In my case, most of the stuff was already sectioned out by keep/sell. I still have clothes and shoes to go thru. But everything else was already sorted. I have about 6 totes of clothes/4 totes of shoes. I go thru every summer/winter to see what to keep, donate/sell. I had 30+ totes of clothes and shoes before, so I'm doing good now. Rule of thumb. If it hasn't been worn in a year, sell/donate!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I do, I do.... raises hand. Grab a good friend.... ask them to help you determine what to keep/get rid of. In my case, most of the stuff was already sectioned out by keep/sell. I still have clothes and shoes to go thru. But everything else was already sorted. I have about 6 totes of clothes/4 totes of shoes. I go thru every summer/winter to see what to keep, donate/sell. I had 30+ totes of clothes and shoes before, so I'm doing good now. Rule of thumb. If it hasn't been worn in a year, sell/donate!

That requires having a good, local friend. This I do not have. Period.

I did a huge declutter when I moved all my crap out of my ex's garage. Like three u-hauls worth of stuff. 1 I donated to goodwill because no one wanted it and I couldn't be bothered to sell it. 1 I sent with the former coworker who helped me (she took $10,000 worth of craft crap, fabric, and yarn, easily). Most of the rest was garbage. Like less than 1 full carload came home with me, but it was that much too much.... I was already full.

I then went through all my old clothes (I had a few items still 14/16 from before I had my kiddo)...and got rid of everything from more than one size below my current size, except a choice piece here or there I couldn't bear to part with. I donated an entire SUV worth of clothes and books to the battered women's shelter. I attribute it to being what allowed me to get started on regaining my health.

But, I also did all of this WITHOUT my SO with me!!! He's home all the time now, so I don't have the freedom I did when he was working or it was just me.... ARGH...

Mostly it is just down to hard decisions of stuff...and what to do with it. I don't want to put it out by the dumpster, because it's against "policy" to take stuff, but I don't want to dump it at for profit goodwill, and if I hold onto it until I have enough to take to the shelter, it just becomes more clutter, then i have to go through it all over again!

Nancy, I'm going to see if I can find that book on overdrive. I need something to push me to do this... I need it done.... My sanity needs it...

Thanks.
  • carimiller7391
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh Carly, hugs on many fronts there sweetie. I don't think the battered women's shelter minds if you do it in stages. I know mine doesn't. Or keep a tote in your house, go through your stuff and place donate/sale items in the tote. When the tote gets full.... Donate. Have you ever sold on Craig's List?? Always an option. Or eBay? Books you can sell online at half.com. You know I'm just throwing suggestions out there for you. I remember when I had my own place and moved to Buffalo, NY. Going through everything to move was a pain in the *kitten* and now it's worse as I've accumulated more *kitten*. If I lived closer I'd come help. I know first hand what you're feeling.

Hugs!!!

EDIT: Just seen Nancy's post. GREAT idea of doing by categories. Never thought of that. I've always done by room. Categories sounds so much easier to manage and work with. Also, the idea of handling each piece of clothing and saying does it spark joy. LOVE IT!!!! I will have to adopt this myself.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't have the time or emotional bandwidth to try to sell a bunch of stuff...a lot of it is nice, too... I have some stuff, literally new with tags I posted locally, and no one responded, but none of it's name brand... Like a Cato dress that's a flowy white thing, like size 24W? Never worn. Inherited, and no interest. Several pair of "skinny leg" pants that are stretch kind of like leggings with back pockets only, like you'd tuck into books, several (fall type) colors, new with tags, sizes 20-26, but they are like Faded Glory brand - I bought them on the "clear out the clearance" stuff, and I've got slacks and stuff, but they're all odd sizes. I was hoping to find a local clothing swap, but closest one to me is during the day...and 45 miles away... *sigh* But because it's not designer brand or whatever, it just doesn't sell...

Just making time to go through it all ... wears me out.

And I doubt much of my wardrobe "brings me joy" at this point. I'm functional, and that is about it....