Introducing myself

Options
Can_Do_Gal
Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
Hi. I've been lurking for 2 weeks, but didn't want to post until I'd gotten back in the water. My suit was worn out & I've been waiting on a new one. I finally got to swim Saturday, and again on Sunday. It felt great! Although I had to fight against the stroke pace my brain still seems to know but my body doesn't remember. It took me 30 minutes to do only 600 yards. Until it gets too cold, I'm swimming at my town's "beach" at small lake. I love swimming in lakes, so it's a nice treat. No chlorine is the best, and I like the fish & occasional ducks. There are lanes, but floating docks so no wall to push off from. Plus occasional boats going by just outside the roped off area, so not still water.

I swam on a team for a few years as a kid, but I was never fast. Eight years ago I decided to get healthy through swimming + healthy eating. I stopped swimming after getting a stressful job, although I managed to mostly maintain my large weight loss. (Wasn't at goal - I had a lot to lose.) But 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had to have my thyroid out. They've had a hard time figuring out the right replacement hormones for me, and I've been really sick for these 3 years. The chaos has done a number on my metabolism and muscle tone. I still fight with daily fatigue and some brain fog. I got on the scale 2 weeks ago, freaked out at the number, and promptly started MFP. I've been pleasantly surprised my thyroid hormones are in balance enough that I can lose weight. And I was also pleased that, even though I'm utterly out of shape, I could push at all while swimming. So yay so far, and I'll see what comes.

I want to thank those who mentioned optic goggles. I wore Speedo Vanquishers before, so it's like my trusty old friends have magically changed to enable me to see things. Very handy to avoid small children doing cannonballs into my lane. One nice thing about my winter swim club - a dedicated lap pool.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    No chlorine is the best

What?!?! BURN THE WITCH!!!

Just kidding. :) Welcome! I've never mastered the Vanquishers--I can't find the sweet spot between painfully tight and leakily loose. Went back to the old-school Speedo Sprint.

I'm so glad you're back in the water, and with a cute new suit to boot!
  • galabrielle98
    galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    No chlorine is the best,

The horror..... ;)
    So glad you are able to swim again. I think swimming is the best form of exercise:)

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Chlorine is my life. Welcome.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Options
    No chlorine is the best

What?!?! BURN THE WITCH!!!

If I remember my Monty Python, floating is another sign of being a witch. I guess I'm doubly doomed.

Thanks for the welcome. This seems like a great group.

• MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm fairly new to swimming, just got in the pool 3 weeks ago! I am looking forward to watching your progress!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Welcome - and glad you have tefound the pool...

I am sorry to hear about the thyroid horrors. Sympathy too for the daily fatigue/brain fog - part of my daily life too for nearly 2 years now.

I have found - very gently ! - doing and increasing the swimming has been a real help to helping my body get better. I am sure it will help you too. And atleast make you feel better stress-wise.

I read other people's 'get quick/get to a mile fast/do huge distances' stories on here and enjoy their enthusiasm and pleasure but i am in a personal tortoise v hare 'race' - but still getting there.

(I've also got to start tacklkng the weight that has crept up these past 2 years. Fatigue has meant a lot less moving around i guess.)

We are lucky in that we have already found the pool ...!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hey I know you! Welcome aboard!

I lost a good portion of my weight thanks to displacing some water.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Options
    Welcome - and glad you have tefound the pool...

I am sorry to hear about the thyroid horrors. Sympathy too for the daily fatigue/brain fog - part of my daily life too for nearly 2 years now.

... i am in a personal tortoise v hare 'race' - but still getting there.

We are lucky in that we have already found the pool ...!

It's amazing how thyroid problems affect your whole body, isn't it? I'm 46 and I kept telling my husband I felt like I was 80 or 90. I'm not sure what I'm down to now - the new normal is still frustrating - but it's not 80, so that's good.

I wholeheartedly agree. I may be a tortoise, but at least I'm moving along. I'm able to exercise so much more in the water, so that feels great. Thanks so much for the encouragement to push gently.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid. I have Hashimoto's, so I'm no stranger to it. We can't seem to get my stuff under control either; last test my TSH was 37 or something like that and my Free T4 is low. I feel your pain (and brain fog, fatigue, coldness, brittle nails...)

"just keep moving" is definitely my motto. It is exciting to hit the milestones for sure, but those are just added joy. The real joy I get from just being in the water.