Coca-Cola Funds Scientists Who Shift Blame for Obesity Away From Bad Diets

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
"Coca-Cola, the world’s largest producer of sugary beverages, is backing a new “science-based” solution to the obesity crisis: To maintain a healthy weight, get more exercise and worry less about cutting calories."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/coca-cola-funds-scientists-who-shift-blame-for-obesity-away-from-bad-diets/

Ok, go....

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    "Coca-Cola’s public relations department repeatedly declined requests for an interview with its chief scientific officer, Rhona Applebaum, who has called attention to the new group on Twitter. In a statement, the company said it had a long history of supporting scientific research related to its beverages and topics such as energy balance."

I love the twitter comments she got:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    PR is a way of life for big corporations.

There is no such thing as Public Health Concern in my view. The Low Fat crazy was really just PR by the processed foods industry in my view.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    No conflict of interests there....
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Someone stop my eyes from rolling Plz.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Exactly why I don't care who shows me peer reviewed medical blah blah blah. It's not proof of anything, you can literally find a study to tell you anything you want. Sadly science is abused to push the agenda of those with the most money and too many people blindly follow it.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Deplorable but not surprising. Business as usual. I saw a documentary where a representative from Coca Cola blame childhood obesity on the government. I agree the government deserves a lot of blame for the USDA dietary recommendations. The representative blamed childhood obesity on the governments lack of mandating PE programs in schools and not funding more playgrounds and fitness programs. I agree to some extent but most studies conclude that children become fat before they become inactive.

The dairy people are also deplorable. They were looking to add sweeteners to milk without distinctive labeling to try to level the playing field with sugary soda.

Most food companies are willing to prostitute their products for palatability or to enhance their products addictive properties for the bottom line. Very sad. The only power we have as consumers is in making wise choices and not rewarding bad companies with our dollars. The government wont protect us. They as our agents choose to subsidize sugar, protect Monsanto from litigation, give us poor dietary guidelines etc.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    HA! it has been noted by smart observers that the MAKERS of these foods & drinks NEVER say "consume less" of their products ..OH NO..they say "exercise more" thus putting ALL THE BLAME for your eating their foods on you!

even Michelle O'B stopped promoting eating/growing veggies and change to an entire "MOVE more program" duh..no reason to tick off the makers* of Oreos and french fries, right? Follow the money.

Only the alcohol industry is FORCED to say "drink responsibly" and tells us to find a scapegoat who doesn't drink at all to drive us home…...so YOU and friends can continue to overdo it!
    +++++++++++++++

* seen the latest "good for you" snack food? Dippers..real banana slices dipped in chocolate..right. for adults. but kids ail get them too. just as bad a Yoplait & Dannon Yogurt with CANDY loaded in to make 6 oz of already sugared yogurt into 38 gr sugar…

the psychology now is to sell "small portion" snack foods, vs promoting real meals..no profit in people realizing a dinner plate with veggies and meat cooked at home is also good for them…promote the SMALL portion=less guilt for eating it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What really sucks about this kind of stuff is that many people don't know any different. We here know if for what it is, but even my own family members shock me with the way they eat. My brother and sis in law who are extremely well educated and grow veggies in their back yards regularly allow their daughter to eat marshmallows, chocolate milk, oreos, and goldfish for dinner, rather than battle her to eat her dinner.

I understand she's 5 and that can be difficult, and if it happened once ok, but continually? He even asked me one day if we had milk for her, I only drink almond milk so I offered that, when he declined I offered an all natural no sugar added juice box, he declined and said there was too much sugar in it, which is fine, but two minutes later he asked if she could have some of the marshmallows we had for smores. ??????????

So if well educated people with the ability to grow their own food won't do it, then what about the people who don't have the knowledge on nutrition or the ability or financial means to grow or purchase fresh fruits and veggies. They hear this crap and load up on food that doesn't fuel them properly then tell their kids to get out there and run more.

This really stems in to so much other stuff that drives me nuts about this world.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    PS..reading this further I am totally irritated they have MDs and scientists pushing MORE exercise..look at the BIG picture : 78 million boomers grew up on Coke & sugary snacks now have health issues, 60 million Millenials also eating even more junk food than we did, now we are 33% obese and overweight….who is going to do this exercise? ( notice the selling kid's sugary cereals to Adults lately? they appeal to the child in you to eat Fruit loops again!)

the fact soda sales are down, 25% switched to diet sodas or no soda…but the PROOF is exercise isn't making a difference, then add in the Boomers…no results at all. Then Coke etall will say " we did our best" YOU failed.

Lastly in the early 70s the only men who exercised and into fitness were called "nature boy" in derisive terms, then came leg warmers and bouncing in the gym to music …BILLIONS of dollars later the exercise/machinery industry is still going strong, most exercise bikes at home are clothes hangers.

I see Boomers and the aging 40's folks will choose Pilates and non impact type exercise.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

So THAT's what's interfering with my quest for immortality?