Running more than 3 times/week?

Options
fluffykitsune
fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
When do you graduate into running more than 3 times a week?
I'm training for a half marathon but I've been only doing 3 runs a week (I've been running since February). Each time I try to run more, on my usual off days, I get tired pretty fast.

Like Monday I'll run for 80 minutes, but Tuesday I can only do 20 - 30.. Wednesday I can do 80 again. I just don't have it in me on those in between days, but I think it would still be good to even do 20 - 30 minutes (active rest?) and then just work my longer days up.

I don't want to hurt myself at the same time..
Should I experiment for a week and see how I feel ? How do I know if I'm hurting myself before its too late?

Also. I bought new running shoes a few days ago (went and got myself evaluated & matched at a running store). They're really comfy and feel great. I didn't experience any knee or ankle pain like I usually do when I push myself. BUT my calves feel the burn a lot more. Its not a bad burn though, it is a "Man this is a great workout" burn. Is that normal? I read that good shoes should make it easier LOL, I feel like I did 1000 squats and lunges.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon, and my plan only has me running a long run once a week. I would research and look into a half marathon plan that fits your current schedule. No reputable plan will have you running a long run more than once a week.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I do more than 3 runs per week I tend to split my week into Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. This week I ran Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and on Tuesday night I fell to pieces as I was so tired. As above, I think most training plans advise only one long slow run per week increasing your distance by around 10% per week as well as a speed session and a hill session.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Also. I bought new running shoes a few days ago (went and got myself evaluated & matched at a running store). They're really comfy and feel great. I didn't experience any knee or ankle pain like I usually do when I push myself. BUT my calves feel the burn a lot more. Its not a bad burn though, it is a "Man this is a great workout" burn. Is that normal? I read that good shoes should make it easier LOL, I feel like I did 1000 squats and lunges.

Your new shoes may have a different amount of height at the heel. That might account for the calf burn. It takes time to adjust to new shoes. If you can you should alternate for a while with your old ones. Runner's world suggests that you start a new pair before your old ones give out so that you can adjust.