Hubby health...

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
Guess whose hubby was just told he has diabetes along with the high blood pressure he's had for years? Guess who is currently trying to convince her hubby to join her in this WOE? Guess whose hubby should definitely change the way he eats but will probably instead choose to rely on medications while continuing to eat like a trash can? I really hope this is the wake-up call he needs, but it's hard to be optimistic about someone who is noncompliant with every other treatment protocol he's been prescribed.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    Options
    *gasp* I'm shocked! No sooner did I post this than he sent the following text: "I told my doctor about that [this WOE] and he says that [would] be a great idea. Or I can die. So as of today, I'm gonna do your low carb diet with you." Melodrama aside, I am so excited. I hated to watch him eat because I knew it was killing him...
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Omg! I was so sad for you. Then I was so happy for you! Lol
    That's great that he's making the decision to go LC. If he's stubborn, he might be a little grumpy about it and try to lose the commitment later on. Just keep him well fed with lots of bacon! Lol
    That should help!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh, I anticipate bucking and backsliding. But I'm not his mama. I will lead by example (and by cooking/preparing LCHF meals). And by hiding his wallet so he can't go get nasty Jack in the Box.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Folks we can only lead family by example not by preaching at them. @Mami1976D is a good example and that may give her husband many more years with improving health. Great job there.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I hear ya! That's what got me started in this WOE. Trying to set an example to my young T1D daughter that life does not revolve around food. She has become a bit more aware but hasn't made any huge changes and certainly no commitment. But for the past week she has gotten better control of her blood glucose than normal. She's been wasting away from diabetic ketosis for the past 2 years. She went from about 195lbs to 140 the first year and then to 110 recently. She has learned that not taking enough insulin causes weight loss. She's young and stubborn and not thinking about the future right now.
    The last week she put on 10 lbs and was complaining about it last night. I tried to explain that if she could use less insulin because she needed less insulin due to low carb lifestyle, that she would find it easier to maintain weight.
    Stubborn! Stubborn! Stubborn!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! That's what got me started in this WOE. Trying to set an example to my young T1D daughter that life does not revolve around food. She has become a bit more aware but hasn't made any huge changes and certainly no commitment. But for the past week she has gotten better control of her blood glucose than normal. She's been wasting away from diabetic ketosis for the past 2 years. She went from about 195lbs to 140 the first year and then to 110 recently. She has learned that not taking enough insulin causes weight loss. She's young and stubborn and not thinking about the future right now.
    The last week she put on 10 lbs and was complaining about it last night. I tried to explain that if she could use less insulin because she needed less insulin due to low carb lifestyle, that she would find it easier to maintain weight.

And who did she get that stubbornness from??
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am so glad your hubby decided to take care of himself. When I had bariatric surgery 18 months ago I begged my husband to go low-carb with me. He agreed--- and he and I lost about 285-290 pounds combined. I lost 135- he lost the rest! It has been a HUGE help to me to have him eating the same way I do, and also it has been wonderful to see him get off the Metformin and the BP meds and the cholesterol meds. He is SO much healthier-- we take walks together now and are a lot more active. It is wonderful.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!!! So glad he joined in. I remember when my husband hopped on the LCHF train with me, and the relief that I felt knowing how it could help him - and it has! His last weigh-in has him down about 50 pounds since March!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Excellent! My husband joined the LCHF train when he watched me lose while eating meat & butter. He has lost 30+ lbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just remember, D, we have to baby them. There are all kinds of "trick" foods to make his transition easier. It will also help to get all the kid's junk out of the house, and switch them over too!!! So awesome. Congrats that his doc was willing to get through to him somehow... (HUGS)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My husband, too, has joined the LCHF WOL. It is harder for him because he is a truck driver and has no fridge in his truck. He has managed to make bacon or sausage and eggs in the microwaves at truck stops, but dinners are harder. He plans to get an electric griddle so he can cook meats in the truck.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »

And who did she get that stubbornness from??

Not from me! That's for sure! ;)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    That reminds me, he IS the one who DEVOURED my last batch of Caveman Keto almond buns! :wink:
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    *gasp* I'm shocked! No sooner did I post this than he sent the following text: "I told my doctor about that [this WOE] and he says that [would] be a great idea. Or I can die. So as of today, I'm gonna do your low carb diet with you." Melodrama aside, I am so excited. I hated to watch him eat because I knew it was killing him...

I'm very happy for you.

This is huge news of the best type possible!!!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    You all have no idea how excited I am that he is finally motivated to join me. The man would sit down with a plate of meat and veggies that I cooked, add honey and sugar to it, and eat it alongside barbeque chips, a sandwich, and cookies. Recently I noticed him sneaking a candy bar or two every time he got to a checkout counter. Literally, I'd look through his purchases and find a candy bar, then later I'd find a wrapper in whichever car he drove (meaning he ate one and saved one for later).. or I'd catch him sneaking cookies into his backpack that he thought I wouldn't notice he had bought. Several sodas and energy drinks each day. A cake of some sort, a few bags of chips, candy, and white bread on every trip to the store "for necessities." I was exhausted watching him because I knew it was going to cause him problems.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm glad he made that choice!! :)

I hope the first few weeks aren't too hard on him. Perhaps warn him how horrible it will be and then he'll be pleasantly surprised when it is just hard? ;)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Yeah, I did tell him it would suck for a couple weeks but then he'd realize how awesome he can feel. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my guy was told by his doctor that if he wants him to keep him alive he would have to lose weight. When he asked about a dietitian to help advise him on the weight loss, the Dr. said you don't need one, do Atkins. He is pretty happy 3 months later and 45 pounds lighter.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Mami1976D, sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad to hear your hubby is taking his doc's good advice! I agree, living by example is key--people have to decide to change themselves.

He's lucky to have s wife who already knows the ropes of LCHF. Wishing you both the best!