New Strength Training Routine

Options
skinnyD2308
skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
Hi Folks! I'm new to the group. I've been actively on myfitnesspal since June of 2014. I've lost 30 pounds and would like to lost about 30 more. I have a desk job and have been feeling weak lately and know I have bad core strength. I used to run and do step arobics but I have a bad hip that slips out of joint with heavy cardio, so this last year, I've just been walking. After reading success stories on the community boards, I decided to start strength training again. I worked out with a trainer the year before I got married and had some nice results - good shape in my arms and shoulders. But haven't done serious weight training in over 5 years.

I decided to use a full body workout of supersets that is detailed on a poster my husband bought for our home gym. Here is my current routine - any feedback would be great!

I perform each superset back to back - 3 sets of 12 reps each and rest between supersets. I work out every other day. I'm on week four of my training routine and am already feeling stronger and experiencing less bad pain after my work day. I heard somewhere that strength training routines should switch up every six weeks or so, so thought I would ask for some feedback on my routine.

Warm up - brisk walk on treadmill for 10 minutes.

A1 - Chest Press (55 pounds)
A2 - Straight leg Dead lift (20 pounds)

B1 - Seated Row (25 pounds)
B2 - Squat (55 pounds)
B3 - Shoulder press (20 pounds)

C1 - Bicep Curl (20 pounds)
C2 - Overhead Tricep Press (16 pounds)
C3 - Step Ups (body weight)

Once I finish these I do a core routine of superman, plank, side planks, and crunches.

Side leg lifts (3 sets of 10 reps) for each hip.

10 minute walk to cool down on treadmill.

This takes about 40-50 minutes.

I'm quite enjoying what I'm doing and plan on adding some weight to some of this, but other than adding weight as I get stronger, how do some of you seasoned folk switch things up.

Do you switch things up every 6 weeks or is that a myth?

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd count as "seasoned" as I'm still in my first year of heavy lifting. But, what I have gleaned is that "progressive resistance" is the key to getting stronger. Adding either weight or reps to your lifts is the way to do that. Every time you lift, if possible, you should be trying for more weight or more reps.
    Switching things up is always recommended, for muscle confusion, etc. I do best when I follow a program, like new rules or strong curves. NR changed routines every 4-6 weeks and that worked well for me.

You get all of that done in 40 minutes? With the 20 minutes on the treadmill? Seems a bit fast to me. I usually lift for 45-60 minutes and stretch afterwards. But, each of us is different. You're off to a great start though :).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    When I first started I followed Stronglifts for 12 weeks and the only changes were increasing the weights, and the occasional de-load (mostly on upper body ones). From what I've seen discussed, you don't need to switch things up every few weeks, the muscle confusion thing isn't quite accurate. You don't want to do the same weight, same type of movement, same reps for a long time just because it will become not challenging. But there are different ways to make small changes without mixing it up. Increasing weight does help with the strength aspects, along with the occasional de-load because you want to be able to do the reps with good form and sometimes you have to take a step back or two in order to go forward. Beyond that, there are other ways but there is no magic set number of weeks or necessary time frame for the changes.

I'm back to SL for right now but considering Wendler or a push/pull routine. I do find having the routine is helpful, though I take over an hour with accessories and everything when I lift and don't do cardio on lifting days. I warm up with just lifting the bar and lighter weights, working my way up to my set for the day.
  • skinnyD2308
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't realize that people added weight so quickly. Maybe since I'm on week 4 I'll add some weight.
  • skinnyD2308
    Options
    Oops - the strenth training part is 40 minutes - the treadmill warm up and cool down are extra - so workout is 60 minutes in total 3-4 times a week.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Depends on the program and the lifts. Adding on often was easier in the beginning too but now that the weights are much more than when I started, things have slowed down. Some things you can add in small amounts, even smaller if you get micro plates. Others only go up in sets of 10 or so, like some of the cables and some fixed weight barbells. I know I haven't increased as much in lat pull down because to increase means adding 10 lbs, while on say bench or squat, I can d o5 lb increases at a time and even then I stay at a weight for more than one session.

I used to do treadmill after SL and a little walk or other warm up. Now, I have cardio days for 10k training and sometimes lift at 11pm so by the time I'm done with accessories and what not, I'm ready to go. Though rest times can vary. I know I make myself rest more now on Squats because it's over body weight, but on the accessories, I don't need to rest several minutes. All kinds of variables to play with really instead of just "change everything".
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I walk for 20 - 30 minutes on lifting days, but never right before lifting.