Is it a bad thing??

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
Once in awhile, maybe every other week, I have nature valley protein granola cereal. 1-serving. I try to balance my carbs for the week so on that day if I go over my 50g carbs, I'm under the rest of the week to make up for it. Here's the problem. I cannot stomach full fat milk. UGH. Even 2% makes me gag. I'm not a coffee/tea drinker and don't use milk for anything else at all.... IS there another choice?? What are other options?? Is almond milk any better for you. I tasted it when I was doing another program. Wasn't bad at all. I enjoy having the cereal once a week, but will be giving it up when I'm out of it. (about 2 servings left- I bought long before doing LCHF).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I don't drink regular milk because my tummy does not like it. I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and love it. I don't drink a ton of it but will sometimes use if for a shake or smoothie. I think its a great substitute.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a decent substitute for your last two servings. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coconut cream is my main cream substitute.

You could still use cream but dilute it to an appropriate taste. That way you don't have the milk sugar (lactose) to deal with... I suppose lactose free milk might have fewer carbs, but I've never checked into that.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll check to see what the least carbs is
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My favorite milk is Califia Farms coconut almond blend. I posted a pic of the nutrition label on another post about almond milk. I don't have the pic saved to my phone anymore.
    But this milk tastes the best to me. I actually think it tastes really good and isn't as watery texture as most are.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You can't balance carbs across the week like you can calories. If you go over a certain amount in any given day you will kick yourself out of ketosis, simple.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You can't balance carbs across the week like you can calories. If you go over a certain amount in any given day you will kick yourself out of ketosis, simple.

Yes Ebony I believe that is my problem too. I'm bouncing between under 50 a couple days and then over. A yoyo effect. And I'm trying to stay out of keto. You live and learn.
  • carimiller7391
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Ebonydahlia, thanks for the info. I live and learn daily.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Ebonydahlia, thanks for the info. I live and learn daily.

If you look back a ways, Cari, there as a thread about how to make low carb friendly granola/cereal, too...
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk every day.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to drink milk if you don't like it?
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk... Or have you tried Fair Life brand? They have different fat milks and chocolate milk with higher protein, less carbs and more calcium
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You could try kefir or yogurt, too. Add water if you like it runnier!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mmm unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite. @carimiller7391 I doubt you're doing a lot of damage. A serving of granola cereal is <40 carbs. Depending on the length of time you've been in ketosis, your body should pop right back in the next day. It's all about burning your glycogen stores. Sure you should aim for very few grams per meal but as long as it isn't triggering other cravings, enjoy it. If this is a WOE or WOL for you, it's best to aim for what works best for your lifestyle. If the occasional bowl of cereal helps you continue eating correctly, then eat the cereal. Definitely don't shame yourself. Matter of fact, maybe spend some time congratulating yourself that you're able to have cereal every once in awhile and it's not throwing you off track. If later you evaluate and realize you don't need it, then don't eat it. For now just recognize the occasional bowl of cereal/cracker/chip/cookie/cake is just life.