Bug bites and minor wounds

Options
SherryRH
SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
Ever since I have been diagnosed, I have noticed that little bug bites take forever to go away and continue to itch like crazy for a very long time and take a while to heal. I have also notice that very minor wounds take awhile to heal too. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just weird. :laugh:

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yup, Yup... I heal slower than others and I end up scaring more it seems. Common issue for diabetic's I hear
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Get used to it, 'cause that's the way we diabetics do it. I have cat scratches that show red for months. I use Polysporin for even the tiniest injuries (especially on my feet) and mosquito bites drive me wild so I never go anywhere without Benedryl anti itch stick - they really help...

I never used to use any of this stuff before the diabetes.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Very common for diabetics. The best way to combat it is to keep you blood glucose low. High BG slows down healing.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have always reacted badly to midge bites. I did a long distance walk challenge at the weekend and we were plagued with them, to an extent that I walked in a mosquito net for part of the walk. Luckily this worked and I didn't get one bite!

Another competitor from the weekend posted this potential remedy, I have never tried it, but think I will at some stage,

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markdroberts/2011/05/28/a-miraculous-cure-for-bug-bite-itching/
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    I have always reacted badly to midge bites. I did a long distance walk challenge at the weekend and we were plagued with them, to an extent that I walked in a mosquito net for part of the walk. Luckily this worked and I didn't get one bite!

Another competitor from the weekend posted this potential remedy, I have never tried it, but think I will at some stage,

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markdroberts/2011/05/28/a-miraculous-cure-for-bug-bite-itching/
    Yes, that works. I've been treating poison ivy/oak similarly. I hose the breakout with as hot a water as I can tolerate. Then switch to cold water. It shocks the nerve ends and stops the itch for a significant period of time.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky so far for my healing ::knocks on wood for the luck!::

But, when I get bites, I usually use a mild ammonia solution - about 1 pt ammonia to 9 pts water (Or, the easy way - the commercial ammonia treatment marketed under the brand name "After Bite". Does wonders to kill the itch for just about any kind of bite.

@ Laura - if you haven't tried it yet for poison ivy/ poison oak - try some Pine Tar Soap. Discovered it when I got a NASTY case of poison ivy (like over 85% of my body!). Works a treat, and will help get rid of the itching, redness, swelling, and general discomfort. Found it at the local pharmacy, but I lived in a small town at the time, so we didn't have any big stores that might have carried it.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    @ Laura - if you haven't tried it yet for poison ivy/ poison oak - try some Pine Tar Soap. Discovered it when I got a NASTY case of poison ivy (like over 85% of my body!). Works a treat, and will help get rid of the itching, redness, swelling, and general discomfort. Found it at the local pharmacy, but I lived in a small town at the time, so we didn't have any big stores that might have carried it.
    The breakout is almost gone. I'm mostly just dealing with the dry skin aftermath now. I wouldn't be able to use Pine Tar Soap as I am allergic to pine. We had to stop having real Christmas trees in the house. I have used Fels Naptha Soap in the past. It works very well for drying up poison ivy/oak.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the midges in the Uk are more vicious but like BigG any bite will cause swelling and a supturating spot which takes ages to heal. I use jungle spray but the blighters always seem to home in on any spots I miss.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I swear by tea tree oil as an antiseptic.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The breakout is almost gone. I'm mostly just dealing with the dry skin aftermath now. I wouldn't be able to use Pine Tar Soap as I am allergic to pine. We had to stop having real Christmas trees in the house. I have used Fels Naptha Soap in the past. It works very well for drying up poison ivy/oak.

Yeah, that would make the soap be on the decidedly "Not Approved List"! May have to look into the Naptha soap though. Haven't run into any poison ivy recently, but I'd rather be prepared than caught out again.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your tips and responses. I thought maybe it was something new for me and I was just weird. LOL