Keto Friendly Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Meals

ColinsMommaOC
ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
I am a working mom and I like to pre-plan my meals so when I get home I can just throw it together and be done with it. One thing I do with a friend of mine is crock pot meals that we prep in advance and freeze until we are ready to put them in the crock pot. I have been searching the web for Keto friendly/adaptable crock pot meals, but I am struggling to find anything beyond plain beef, pork and chicken. Anyone have any Keto friendly crock pot recipes they like or had success with? Or a regular recipe that can easily be adapted?

Also, does anyone have a good substitute for sweet corn in a recipe?

Replies

• 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Dana Carpender has an awesome book that I love except that the receipes make a lot. I prefer not to cook food and then turn around and freeze it (just not as texture friendly as I'd like), but most of the recipes make 6-8 portions. Hubby and I will eat 2 portions each max before we're sick of it, so we freeze anything over 4 portions.

http://www.amazon.com/300-Low-Carb-Slow-Cooker-Recipes/dp/1592334970/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439426279&sr=8-2&keywords=dana+carpender+low+carb+slow+cooker
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    This site has many. I spend every other weekend cooking, and then seal and freeze and just reheat when needed. I have found that most recipes for chicken that say 4 hours on high overcook the chicken so it's dry and pasty, so for my crockpot 2 hours is perfect - cooked but not overdone so when I reheat it's not killed.

http://cavemanketo.com/tag/crockpot/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I think I read a recipe recently that substituted chinese baby corn for sweet corn, but I don't know how low carb it is. Most of the time sweet corn can just be left out... Like a taco soup recipe I make for my guy (so NOT low carb!) uses corn...I always loved it so used extra. I cut it back down to normal last time I made it for him, and he didn't notice...

Are you looking for a sub as far as flavor? Texture? Affecting the recipe/thickness/something?

Flavor, you aren't going to find an exact sub. For texture, maybe something like chopped green beans or something? And as far as the starches with thickening, you're better off using coconut flour, xantham gum, or arrowroot, etc. Depends on your aim...
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Salsa Chicken - One of my favorites and super easy and versatile.

In the morning, I put 4 frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot and dump in a jar of salsa. Set to 8 hours on low. My crock will automatically switch over to a "keep warm" mode when the cook time runs out and stay there up to 4 hours. Love this feature as I typically leave the house around 6:30am and don't return until 5:30pm. Once I get home, I shred the chicken and dump it back into the crock to soak up all of the salsa and stay hot while I prep the rest of dinner. I usually use chicken breasts with the skin on to get all of that delicious fat into my food and then pull the skin off when shredding because it is pretty flavorless and limp by that time (ick).

For me, I usually sauté a pile of leafy greens in a chunk of goat butter and then put 6oz of the chicken on top or make it into a taco salad (minus the tacos) with lots of guacamole and a bit of goat yogurt (my sour cream sub as I can't have cow dairy products). For the rest of the family, it works great in fajitas or tacos, on rice with a side of veggies, add some beans, peppers, onions, etc to make a chili, taco salad... very versatile and you can adjust the number of breasts and salsa for however much you want to make.

Leftovers are great for a couple of days, would probably freeze well but I've never tried - it doesn't last that long in my house!

One piece of advice - you may want to strain out the juice that hasn't been absorbed by the chicken, particularly if you are using the chicken in tacos or fajitas.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I think I read a recipe recently that substituted chinese baby corn for sweet corn, but I don't know how low carb it is. Most of the time sweet corn can just be left out... Like a taco soup recipe I make for my guy (so NOT low carb!) uses corn...I always loved it so used extra. I cut it back down to normal last time I made it for him, and he didn't notice...

Are you looking for a sub as far as flavor? Texture? Affecting the recipe/thickness/something?

Flavor, you aren't going to find an exact sub. For texture, maybe something like chopped green beans or something? And as far as the starches with thickening, you're better off using coconut flour, xantham gum, or arrowroot, etc. Depends on your aim...

Its for a recipe I found for Cilantro Lime Chicken. It has Black Beans (which I am leaving out) and Corn. I was hoping to be able to substitute either the Corn or the Black Beans. It isnt so much for taste, but for variety of flavor and texture in the meal.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I loved the fatsecret.com lists. I am surprised they did not come up in my search before!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Its for a recipe I found for Cilantro Lime Chicken. It has Black Beans (which I am leaving out) and Corn. I was hoping to be able to substitute either the Corn or the Black Beans. It isnt so much for taste, but for variety of flavor and texture in the meal.

So like a salsa type topping? What about something avocados or tomatoes (good in small quantities)... they both have a small natural sweetness. Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a great avocado salsa recipe things she does with her "taco bowl" recipe. I like it some, but you'd just have to watch quantities on onions and such...

Depending on how sweet, maybe even a few blueberries strategically included for that "burst" effect? Share the recipe, and may I'd have more ideas? I miss corn, but not in the soup - but more in the buttery and salty corn on the cob way...

A quick reference from the Mr. Google:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/12/15-best-low-carb-mexican-recipes.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1dte7q/low_carb_mexican_side_dishes/

Oh, what about some diced sweet bell peppers in place of the corn? Sweet, colorful, and not starchy. They have a little carbs, but not too terrible much... And if you aren't afraid of soy (I can't do it due to the hormonal and gastro effects), they do have "soy black beans" that are way lower carb...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I swap in chopped zucchini for beans in my chili and enchilada type recipes.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    Here is the recipe I found.

2 chicken breasts
    1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 red onion, chopped I was going to cut this in half
    1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed I was going to cut these out
    2 cups of frozen corn
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp cumin
    Juice squeezed from 2 Limes
    tortillas (for serving) making my own low carb tortillas
    shredded cheese (for serving)
    sour cream (for serving)
  • ColinsMommaOC
    Awesome! Thanks so much.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a slow-cooker / crockpot? I am planning to buy one to make lovely autumn/fall stews. I am UK based, but I know some US brands are available over here. Are there any features I should look out for? I want a family sized one, the bigger the better so I can freeze leftovers (or take them to work the next day) and make my life even easier (though only have a small freezer).
  • KnitOrMiss
    My dad just bought me a new one, the brand is Bella.

Mainly, I'd look for the timer, auto settings to change from cook to warm after cooking time is complete... Many now are fridge to heat, etc., so you can make up a marinade or something overnight, then put it on in the morning...

Mine doesn't clean out as easily as I would like (it is black so easy to tell) so maybe look for ones with good reviews??
  • totaloblivia
    thanks @KnitOrMiss xxxx
  • ColinsMommaOC
    I agree with Knit... Make sure it has a timer and can auto switch to warm. Also, if they have them in the UK you should get the slow cooker liners. They are disposable and fit into the bowl. you just lift and throw away once you are done. then its easy to wipe down the crock pot after use. Reynolds makes them.
  • totaloblivia
    Thanks for the tips, folks
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    If you don't have a timer, you can use one of those $5 timers and plug the crockpot into that. The same one you use to turn on/off lights when you're on vacation.
  • totaloblivia
    Well I got a slow cooker: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Removable-Temperature-Manufacturers/dp/B00JAGEF88/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1440746859&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=andrew+james+slow+cooker I took on board your advice and it has a timer and can switch to warm afterwards. I haven't seen liners in the UK, but it washed up OK the only time I've used it.

I've done one stew in it which is my usual Nigella Lawson beef stew with anchovies and thyme: usually takes 3 hours in the oven. It was a wee bit disappointing as ended up a bit watery, and I had even put less liquid in than usual to compensate for it being a slow cooker.

Now I need some good recipe books. A lot of the keto/low carb slow cooker recipe books are on kindle which I find annoying for when you are actually cooking as you can't easily flick to the one you want. Has anyone any recommendations for slow cooker recipe book in hard copy? If they were UK-based ones even better, but I can usually convert US ones and even have a set up cup measurements that my husband brought home from his time living in the US 20 years ago!! I have ordered: Slow Cooker Heaven! - 365 Crockpot Recipes - A Delicious Variety of Low Carb, Low Sugar Slow Cooker Recipes

Grateful for any other ideas you guys have - many thanks!
  • totaloblivia
    I will also look at the dana carpender one (duh! scroll up Olivia!!!)