Bad breath

Options
ThinGwen
ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
so, my kids are telling me my breath stinks. I'm about 10 days post-surgery, so I'm drinking mostly protein shakes and vitamins, which is probably the cause. Any suggestions on how to cure? I'm already brushing 3 times a day.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Keto breath! It'll sort itself out in a couple of weeks as you get to real food. Just enjoy it and consider it a super power. It is powerful stuff!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    if the kids complain too much, I found that the sugar-free Altoids help out. it won't cure anything, but it does help
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'm more concerned about the adults I talk to who are too polite to complain.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the Altoids are a good suggestion. Plus it gives you a different flavor in your mouth, which to me was welcome. I'm a month out and still get it... blech.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Gotta love keto mouth! I was always freaked out by how it made my armpits smell, too. It's a very distinctive odor.
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I thought it was from protein shakes, that is when I feel mine is the worst. I bought some SF mints to help as well.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I would not survive without sugar free mints.
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm still pre-op but very low carb - with super stinky breath and dry mouth (and yes, I'm drinking enough water - I can have dry mouth with a mouth full of water). I found the Act Dry Mouth mouthwash helps at least with keeping me from feeling like I've got sand in my mouth all the time.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This is why I will not put myself back in ketosis unless it's Dr ordered. It was the worst! (And everyone elses breath stunk to me, too!)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I now stay in keto, because it just works for me. After about 3 solid days in it, keto breath goes away. Hubby picks up and so does my dog. When they stop doing the weird sniff, I'm good. I went out of keto this past Saturday, dropped halfway to keto Sunday, hard keto Monday, breath was gone by Wednesday morning wakeup.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Keto breath! It'll sort itself out in a couple of weeks as you get to real food. Just enjoy it and consider it a super power. It is powerful stuff!
    This! Since ketosis is a lo-carb indicator (and lo-carb helps me avoid overeating) for me, this is a sign of success. Thanks for reminding me how to get back in control. :smile: