Jumping into KETO on 08/14/15

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
Good morning everyone!!!

Just wanted to make it known, to make myself accountable, that I am starting 20g of carbs or less tomorrow. How long does it take though, once you go LC, for your body to adjust to be in KETO?? Just wondering. Thanks!!! I have a keto cookbook, LC cookbook and a 3 day weekend to really focus on me. Hit the grocery store. I have a list of foods and will go through the cookbooks first for other odds and ends. I am so overly excited to be starting this new WOE and new way of life for me. I've read all the great things that come from this way of eating and sooooo look forward to experiencing them myself.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It will just take a few days to get into ketosis if you are consistent with your carb levels. Your body must burn through any glycogen stores, and that varies based on how high your carbs consistently were in the first place. :) 2 days, 4 days, a week. It depends on the individual.

To become fully keto-adapted (or fat-adapted) will take 4 to 6 weeks. At this point everything is humming along and you feel completely in the zone. Your energy will be up. Your system has totally adjusted to fat-as-fuel.

Two VERY important tips to stay on top of:
    Get enough fat and ELECTROLYTES. Keep those levels up! This will reduce any keto flu or fatigue and keep you feeling good.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks @baconslave . I've been warned about electrolytes by Carly (@knitormiss). I've been roaming through the launch pad's website for recipes and found some great ones I plan on trying to make this weekend for next week. I also have a keto cookbook and low carb cookbook. Getting my grocery store list together... Ready to boogy along.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    How low-carb were you before today? You may already be fat adapted to some extent. I hope you won't feel deprived if you don't experience the keto flu... :D
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have planned well for the transition. Since you have been decreasing your carb intake already it shouldn't take very long to become fully adapted and reap the rewards that go with it. Am happy for you and know you will do well! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Good luck and don't get too stressed about it. I rarely use recipes and just make simple food. Haven't even wanted anything but bacon and eggs for supper the past couple of days.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! Day 1 and 2 down and I feel amazing!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :)

I agree that it really is pretty easy to eat keto. I don't make myself anything fancy, but just skip and starches and eat a few less veggies (or none). I do like having macadamia nuts, pepperoni sticks, and cheeses around for snacking though.

I hope you have a smooth adjustment. I felt a bit off for a week but then I figured out my salt levels and it's been smooth sailing ever since. :)
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks!!! Day 3 down.... and still feeling amazing.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wtg! :smiley: