Happy Thoughts wanted!

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Sooo...I think it's been determined that my root cause of all of my issues are hormonal. I'm going to start progesterone treatments (essentially a cream) continue my vitamin D, find me a different form of Magnesium (because for lack of more polite terms - I'm tired of being able to shat thru a screen door) but hoping that by building a solid foundation with building back my progesterone I can add to my health from there. :)

But.....in the mean time, I'm having a horrible time with mood swings, up and down, and I mean down hard. Crash the plane and everybody in the airport goes with it. Hard. I cried three times while i was mowing the yard the other day. One because I was lonely, Second time because I was upset about a guy, and Third time about something I heard on the news. I've got to find a better way to stop the hamster from running, I'd like to think I could trip him, but ugh, running, thoughts non-stop. NON Stop.
I've tried to drown it out with music, but I'm not making good music choices right now (sad love songs) Ugh!

So if anyone gets to this point, where's your happy place? What do you do?

I need to keep my mind happy until something else gets better.

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your struggles. It can be frustrating and anxiety provoking when we experience overwhelming feelings. When I am experiencing overwhelm I find it very helpful to focus on my breathing. Just stop and notice my breath going in and out for a few minutes. Bringing myself to the present moment, reminding myself that all truly is well (even if it does not feel like it) and focusing on my breath works wonders. Hope things improve for you soon.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    First Yoga, some cardio, then Match.com or POF. It goes two ways, either you talk to a bunch of losers and you realize your life really ain't that bad, you really do have a lot to be thankful for and that cheers you up. Or you find a hottie, who is just "perfect" and then you can be preoccupied with day dreaming about new possibilities! Nothing helps you get over a guy faster than a new guy! LOL. Better days are coming!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Thaeda - I'm hoping this weekend to be able to have a few moments at the lake where I can sit on the boat dock and just listen to the water. Water seems to make me happy.
    Slimzandra - ha ha ha! I hear ya there! I hate that point tho where you realize you really do like the guy...then you get all stupid and giddy, well ok maybe that's just me. But yeah. They are...I just gotta be patient. And lord knows I'm not.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You might want to get your thyroid completely checked out -- not just the standard test. Find a dr. who will do your reverse, conversion rate, etc. This affects all that you are having issues with. I also have vitamin B and D deficiencies, severe mood swings, etc. and getting on a little T3 thyroid really solved many of my issues (still vitamin deficient but could be due to being overweight/absorption issues).
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Look up how to use transdermal magnesium for supplementation. I made my own mag spray and use it after showering. Here is a link to a study discussing this: http://www.cnelm.com/NutritionPractitioner/Issues/Issue_11_1/Articles/7 Transdermal Mg revised2.pdf

So sorry about your mood swings. When I feel overwhelmed, esp with things out of my control, I will tune it all out for a while... no evening news, no yahoo, no tv in general for a while. Helps me get centered again and I always feel better. I hope you feel better soon!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And let me tell you, when I did progesterone cream treatments, I was a NIGHTMARE. I felt full on pregnant with every cycle, complete with moodiness and food cravings and insanity. I was swollen and sore and sleepy and all of it. EVERY CYCLE. That was what progesterone did to me. Add to that that I was getting even lower doses than needed because I was adrenaline and cortisol deficient, and progesterone is the least "critical" hormone, so any other deficiencies steal it and convert it. I literally had a 0 level of progesterone for a few years...it was barely measurable with treatment, and after a while, the side effects weren't worth it.

Down the road, they've actually figured out other things, so just be aware of what can happen.

Make a playlist with loud angry or upbeat music. Sit and make it when you are feeling your best, at your most motivated so that you won't have another option when you're at your lowest.

As my BFF recently pointed out to me, the things that trigger my stress or melancholy/emotional state are NOT the things I'm upset about....they are just where the energy outpours. So I'm currently working to identify the real underlying issues that make me so...volatile and moody... Maybe some journaling and such might help you with that, too?

And just HUGE OL' HUGS, because I can. (HUGS)
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Really??? That's what I'm supposed to be getting rid of KnitorMiss!!! Oh bless your heart to have to go thru those like that. Yes the other night I was having trouble sleeping so I turned the tv back on, journaled a bit, then laid back down and eventually went to sleep. I've got a huge notebook full of written pages! Bless the heart of the person who ever reads it when I'm gone. :)
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For me, I listen to heavy metal bang your head music really loud when life gets to be too much to handle. Brings me back to the 80s. When life was better for me, when nothing mattered to me... (in school), and life was simpler. Just me, just my thought.

I also journal every night. The good, the bad and the ugly. I decorate the pages of my journals with stickers and different color pens. When my head gets going so fast (i'm bipolar and cycle every 4-5 days already) I make to do list, and map out what's very important to do that night in my date book/calendar. I try my best to stay very structured with things as the smallest thing can set me off track. I understand the mood swings..I even color when I'm down... again, it brings me back to a happy place. My childhood. For me, picturing a time that was happy for me aides in the down side of the mood swings.

Hope some of this helps!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Really??? That's what I'm supposed to be getting rid of KnitorMiss!!! Oh bless your heart to have to go thru those like that. Yes the other night I was having trouble sleeping so I turned the tv back on, journaled a bit, then laid back down and eventually went to sleep. I've got a huge notebook full of written pages! Bless the heart of the person who ever reads it when I'm gone. :)

I think most of those side effects can go along with estrogen dominance, too, which is what progesterone can help balance out, too. Female hormones are so darned finicky, it's frustrating!!! I'm glad you are finding some relief...

And Cari, I'm there with you - my favorite stressed out go to song is by Shinedown, "Sound of Madness." It isn't a song from "back when" but it's angry tones work so well, as does Godsmack's "Cryin' Like a (B)...i....t....c....h... Just saying. "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister and pretty much anything Beastie Boys, Metallica, Megadeath... Yup..those are good ones from back when, along without about 1000 others!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ((((HUGS)))) from me too. I have been where you are, so emotional, and not knowing where to turn. It does sound like it could be hormonal. The problem is pinpointing what hormones are out of whack. It can take a while and may be multi-faceted. I wish you well and hope you find a speedy resolution.

I have tried most of the suggestions above. Some helped, some not so much. You will find your bliss. Most recently for me, when I could not find peace, much less happiness I overdosed on crossword and Sudoku puzzles. I did them for hours until I was exhausted and then fell asleep. I found engaging in mindless activity while using my brain power kept it busy and me unemotional.

It is great that you love the water - I find it very calming and soothing. I feel the same about train rides.

I kept a journal that I must now destroy lol - thanks for the reminder...

You have my support and encouragement and my HAPPY HAPPY THOUGHTS!!

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have a doctor who is willing to work with you. I've been on estrogen since my hysterectomy in 2013. I complained of moodiness and lack of libido at my last visit. He added Estra/test, a combo estrogen and testosterone that I take every other day. It has helped, a lot! Hope you find what helps you! The hormone system can be a b_i_t_c_h to regulate. Happy thoughts and hugs for you!! :smiley: