Premium MFP?

Options
Does the premium version of MFP allow you to track net carbs?

Replies

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
  • PumpkinRunning
    PumpkinRunning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just from doing a search of the boards, it sounds like (as of a month ago) net carbs wasn't an option for Premium, you'd still have to do the subtraction. Some people suggested arranging your nutrition columns so that Fiber was right next to Carbs, making it quicker/easier to subtract.

I wish they would add net carbs though!
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think because so many different countries use MFP that net carbs would reduce accuracy.
    For example, here in Australia our fibre is not included in the gross carb total. It's a separate category altogether. So if MFP started subtracting it out for me automatically, many of my macros would be off.
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic, I can't use net carbs. I have to use total to calculate my insulin. Though, for my husband it would be really good for him.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Syleyna wrote: »
    I think because so many different countries use MFP that net carbs would reduce accuracy.
    For example, here in Australia our fibre is not included in the gross carb total. It's a separate category altogether. So if MFP started subtracting it out for me automatically, many of my macros would be off.

Or, if the US did carbs like the rest of the world it wouldn't be an issue.

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it as a premium option. I really wish the US would do carbs like everyone else, and use the same measurements too.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I haven't seen it as a premium option. I really wish the US would do carbs like everyone else, and use the same measurements too.

They tried that. It failed.

We had already learned imperial math and measurements and were applying it every day. But in the 1970s, when I was in the fourth grade, they instituted a re-learning experiment in the U.S. public schools. They attempted to make us unlearn imperial and teach us metric. We couldn't grasp it. Everyone in the class failed the tests.

After that, I don't think they bothered with it anymore.

This saddens me. I'm fluent in both because I'm a science major. I think we could do both if we tried.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

They tried that. It failed.

We had already learned imperial math and measurements and were applying it every day. But in the 1970s, when I was in the fourth grade, they instituted a re-learning experiment in the U.S. public schools. They attempted to make us unlearn imperial and teach us metric. We couldn't grasp it. Everyone in the class failed the tests.

After that, I don't think they bothered with it anymore.

That's odd in the late 50s they taught us metric. It's based on 10s, simple. Only in the US would we come up with the idea of 12 inches, break inches up into 8ths or some multiplier of it, but if you want to measure it closer throw that system away and divide inches by 10s, oh we're almost back to the metric idea.
    Our money back to 10s. Percentages 10s. Decimals 10s. An abacus 10s.
    Metric's so simple if anyone needs help... use your fingers.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The US imperial is probably a hangover from colonial days. Although you do have your own imperial measurements as well. In the UK we use a weird mixture of imperial and metric. Slowly moving over to metric because of te EU influence.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I was part of the fourth grade experiment with the metric system. Terribly confusing at the time. Makes sense now. Leave it to the U.S. to test with a focus group that wouldn't get it. Maybe if they tried twelfth graders instead. I love the U.S., but they got things bassackwards many years ago!
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I was part of the fourth grade experiment with the metric system. Terribly confusing at the time. Makes sense now. Leave it to the U.S. to test with a focus group that wouldn't get it. Maybe if they tried twelfth graders instead. I love the U.S., but they got things bassackwards many years ago!

How can we expect our countries to agree on something so complex as weights & measures,
    when they can't even agree on which side of the road to drive on. :s

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    HA! Exactly!