how often does your dr. requires a1C

Options
phxteach
phxteach Posts: 309 Member
I wondered, is my general doc too laid back? I get checked once a year for a1C, which has been around 6.5 - 5.8 range and only on Metformin, somewhat overweight. I've been doing LC for about 8 weeks and seeing good reduction on my meter readings and the weight scale and called in to ask if I could cut my pill (not ER) in half. Response: sure and we'd like to see you soon. Dr. has not encouraged me to do daily testing. Yet seems to be up to date ?? on testing via electrodes to see if there is nerve damage. Anyway... how often does your doc take a1C and is it wholly dependent on your previous reading?

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Every 3 months for me. I'd love to only suffer blood draws annually but I'd probably lose control with that kind of schedule.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Every 3 to 4 months for me.
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Mine is tested every 6 months but my blood sugar control is good and I am no longer taking diabetes medication.

• pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    I wondered, is my general doc too laid back? I get checked once a year for a1C, which has been around 6.5 - 5.8 range and only on Metformin, somewhat overweight. I've been doing LC for about 8 weeks and seeing good reduction on my meter readings and the weight scale and called in to ask if I could cut my pill (not ER) in half. Response: sure and we'd like to see you soon. Dr. has not encouraged me to do daily testing. Yet seems to be up to date ?? on testing via electrodes to see if there is nerve damage. Anyway... how often does your doc take a1C and is it wholly dependent on your previous reading?

May I ask how long it took for you to see lower bs and are you also so meds>

• phxteach
    Options
    I'm on metformin, 1000mg twice a day. I am beginning to think it is too much and asked the doc if I could cut one of them in half. With the low number of carbs, the amount of medicine is making me woozy. When I started really cutting out carbs, I'd say it lowered immediately but a steady drop within about two weeks. From 6/17/16 I show morning high @ 172 mg and right now I'm averaging around 107 - so that's a huge drop. It's been down to 93, but that was on vacation and could exercise at will. Hoping to get back that low on a regular basis.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great. I am also on Metformin but I am wondeering if I am eating too many carbs. About 60 per day. How about you? Still have FBS numbers in 200 range. Doc wants me to go back on Levemir but I am trying to get numbers down with a better diet and more exercise.
  • phxteach
    Options
    Pennell12, I suppose that it is all personal to your own body. I've been diagnosed around 6 years, never been on insulin. My pre-diet carbs - honestly, I have no idea, but it was a lot of it 'healthy' carbs like oatmeal, quinoa. Maybe I can go back to those some day, but for now (as I sit eating a forbidden slice of pizza cuz I'm starving!!) I should be reducing those carbs. I'd say most days I average around 30-35 net carbs (yeah, today is not gonna make my goals!).
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Every 3 months unless it is under control and then every 6 months.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Every 3 months right now, but with the expectation that it will switch to twice a year once i'm off all the meds (hopefully next visit). But I was also diagnosed within the last year and had an immediate and dramatic drop in response to lifestyle changes. (A1C from 11 to 5.7 in first 3 months after diagnosis).
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    He started testing me every 3 months.... now moved to 6 months.
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    once a year is good enough for me, i dont like needles :) i am not on any medication for dibetes my bs went upto 8.4
    brought it back down to 6.8 last sunday and working natural ways to bring it down below 6 better still around 5
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Looks like I'm the same as most others: initially every 3 months. Now I do every 12. I seem to be well controlled with exercise and healthy eating ( no meds). Last result was 5.2%
  • phxteach
    Options
    Wow, BigG!! That's a fantastic number. Mine turned out to be 5.6. So, I've still got a ways to go to drop that low. But... working on it. Congrats to you!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I go every 3 months while taking metformin 500mg once at dinner. My last A1c was 6.4 from 7.8 previously
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    At the beginning it was every 3months then when it got better it was every 6 months. Now that I got it down at 5.1 it's every year.
  • phxteach
    Options
    even at 6.0, you got nephropathy???!!! Is that common? Also, very scary.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin 500mg twice a day and my A1C is checked every 3 months. Last two times it has been 5.8 which he is really pleased with. I have lost 46 lbs now..my total carbs per day are about 120-130g but I have virtually no pasta as it will send my bs high :/ Anyway, if my next A1C (due mid January) is still great, then she said he would be moving me to 6 months for my diabetic checkups and A1Cs :) Crossing fingers but nervous because it follows Christmas holidays...my fasting bs is usually someplace around 4.7-5.1. I has come down once I passed the 30 lbs mark...he checked my feet at the last checkup and no signs at all of diminished feeling and my actual eye health is excellent despite I need glasses haha! I am signed up for the diabetic "get moving" or whatever it's called where they teach you strength training!!! Soon to start. Best wishes to everyone!!