Keto and vegetables

KameHameHaaaa
KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
Someone told me that you don't need to eat a single vegetable to be healthy, just eat protein and fat. They said they don't eat veggies AT ALL since they started a LCHF diet and that vegetables are unnecessary for humans to eat. Kinda confused here....yeah I get potatoes and such are starchy, but where do you get your vitamins from then if you're not eating some asparagus or spinach etc? So, discuss, are vegetables necessary on a keto diet (or any diet, for that matter) ? Why, or why not?

Replies

• lowrahbee85
    lowrahbee85 Posts: 6 Member
    This might be kind of gross, but how is that person not eternally constipated?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Someone told me that you don't need to eat a single vegetable to be healthy, just eat protein and fat. They said they don't eat veggies AT ALL since they started a LCHF diet and that vegetables are unnecessary for humans to eat. Kinda confused here....yeah I get potatoes and such are starchy, but where do you get your vitamins from then if you're not eating some asparagus or spinach etc? So, discuss, are vegetables necessary on a keto diet (or any diet, for that matter) ? Why, or why not?

I find that difficult to believe. Since following the keto diet about a year ago, I personally find that I tend to eat MORE vegetables now than I did before I started the diet.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/6197/2

Well, that's just 100g of one kind of meat - but there seem to be lots of vitamins and minerals!
  • Hmm...well, i know I couldn't go without my veggies. All the different colors across the fruit and veggie spectrum bring their own unique vitamin contribution. But hey, if no veggies works for some, that's cool. I don't believe one size fits all.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    there are some very gung-ho LC'ers who eat only meat..they are fine, they are also younger and healthy….
    people who LOVE their method will defend it..fortunately the option to eat mostly vegetables and do LC also works.

I don't argue for those who defend meat only..I'd get bored with it quick… and there is a new interview on diet doctor.com** and as her TED talk - by Dr. Terry Wahls-she combatted serious MS by eating 9 cups of veggies a day..and was still following a low carb diet. This woman SAVED HER LIFE by eating real veggies....and she explains this.

Minding your mitochondria | Dr. Terry Wahls | a TED talk-- (they are blasting her for speaking against 'processed American diet.. has TED sold out to bigfoodcorp? silly warning label on her video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

++++++++++++++
    I have kidney issues, cannot burden my sole kidney with lots of meat to process. MULTIPLE studies prove veggies are managed easier than meat for Renal patients…so I am doing a Keto diet with tons of veggies…also eggs, cheese, heavy cream, coconut oil and butter…if the FATS are right, you can be very moderate with the protein source…and Jimmy Moore- well known LC dieter lost 180 lbs… gained some back.. but lost another 80 by LOWERING his protein amount. from 200 gr.+ to 80 gr a day

you have lots of ways to play this..and we all are different, so finding what works takes some research and trying.

PS…you CAN get all your body's needs from meats and fats… AND you can get all your needs from plants and SEED protein...Hempseed protein has all the essential amino acids plus minerals and so it is a perfect repalcement for meat if you choose it.

I've lost ~30 pounds on a plant based Ketogenic diet in ~ 6 months….I'm not a vegetarian, or vegan, I love having dairy and eggs…but some don't.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories <<more great stories- open to the public

** Dr Wah's DD interview may be for 'members' only..but you can see ALL of the site on a 30 day free trail before deciding on $9 mo. subscription after.