Craving I can't kick

110challenge
110challenge Posts: 195 Member
For a few days now I've been unable to shake the craving for sunny side up eggs on buttered toast.
We'll be 6 weeks in on Wednesday and went grain-free cold turkey, and this is the first time I've had more than a fleeting thought towards our old lifestyle.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might hit the spot? I've planned for some eggs and butter with dinner tomorrow, but its the way the toast tastes with the yolk that I'm really missing.

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    If I have a craving for a "forbidden" food it works best for me to not have it in any form until the urge subsides. I would not be able to eat the eggs and butter without the toast. Maybe I could if I scrambled them or prepared them with a hard yolk.

I used to like runny egg yolks with ghee (clarified butter) and sunflower lecithin (powder). I would mix them together. I sometimes added coconut oil but I did not like the taste of the latter so I stopped that. I found this to be a delicious and filling breakfast.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I've had horrible cravings for potato chips lately, and I've caved more than once making it impossible to get back on track. Last week I figured out there must be a reason for it & guessed it was a craving for salt & started eating salty stuff, like olives & feta in my salad & extra himalayan salt on everything & that seems to have fixed it.

There are some decent keto bread recipes, in fact I just made this one http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/12/Ultimate-Keto-Buns and they are pretty great actually. I made a breakfast sandwich with one yesterday and it was great! might be worth a try.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Cravings are associated with memory. Here's one article but there are others on the subject: http://now.tufts.edu/articles/craving-brain
    It's a new area of research, but if you google around you might find some helpful stuff.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    kristafb wrote: »
    I've had horrible cravings for potato chips lately, and I've caved more than once making it impossible to get back on track.

I made Parmesan Crisps from the fatsecret.com recipes. They are delicious, and satisfied that craving :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Microwave cheese crisps... I prefer using extra sharp cheddar. And if I'm feeling devious, some ranch popcorn seasoning on top. Makes them taste like cool ranch doritos. I imagine the nacho cheese flavor would be similar, etc. If you don't cook them enough, they get tough and chewy. Cook them longer.... My cheese is white and gets a gorgeous golden brown when properly cooked. I can get them crispier in the microwave than oven for some reason.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    I have had similar craving for toast to dip in my yolks...

i use bacon or sausage !! dont even miss it ....
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Krista..thanks so MUCH for the buns recipes..I have missed grilled cheese too..and the idea of dipping bread into egg yolk is attractive. I don't have cravings, but do want to expand my LC recipe base as to enjoy this more.

I bought a big tub of psyllium husks and kept looks for a recipe..this is it!