I just made these LC muffins and they are AWESOME

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
I added 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 c roasted pecans. OMG. SO GOOD.

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-almond-meal-muffins-415803

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing.

Do you think they'd make good savory muffins, minus the AS and adding in herbs, cheese, meat, etc? Thanks again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    how can y'all afford that much almond flour?? Here a small maybe 10-12 oz. bag is $10-$15!!! Coconut oil and flax seed flour are 1/3 of that price...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I know, Carly. That's what's kept me from using it. We have no Trader Joe's the cheapest I've found is at Vitacost and them's expensive muffins!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Is there a Costco near you? I've gotten almond flour there for about $8/pound.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oooh, these look good.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was getting it for $13.99 bag from the health food store, but found it at Walmart for $8.99...Bob's Red Mill
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think AF was $8. pound at Safeway,,in the bins, it's marked as Bobs red mill

Adding coconut flour to recipes I have found gives a dense, wet, not tasty result. tried to add it to a cauliflower pizza crust recipe, and it was a real fail..didn't bake dry enough.

will try again, it absorbs all fluids instantly, so adding more 'wet' doesn't help.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Already home and baking after surgery? YAY! You must be on the mend and feeling better!

I got home last Tuesday. By Saturday I was feeling pretty human. Still a little sore if I move around too much and I tire easily, but other than that I am good!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing.

Do you think they'd make good savory muffins, minus the AS and adding in herbs, cheese, meat, etc? Thanks again.

I think they would be GREAT as savory muffins-- go for it!!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    how can y'all afford that much almond flour?? Here a small maybe 10-12 oz. bag is $10-$15!!! Coconut oil and flax seed flour are 1/3 of that price...

I didn't really think about it. These muffins are so good, it is totally worth it!
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. Yes, almond flour is expensive, but there are sales. Also, it's cheaper than my trips to the convenience store used to be each morning.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup of liquid sweetener? The sweetener I have doesn't even have that much in the container. What am I missing here?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup of liquid sweetener? The sweetener I have doesn't even have that much in the container. What am I missing here?

Pretty sure that is for whatever equals a third cup of sugar for you.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The recipe doesn't give the calorie or carb count...
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Screenshot_2015-08-18-01-36-47.png
    I put it in recipes using powdered splenda and salted butter. I divided it by 12 servings and this is what I got.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Would ground almonds substitute for almond flour? I've never seen almond flour in shops here, but you can easily get ground almonds which have a crumb-like texture.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are basically the same.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    Is there a Costco near you? I've gotten almond flour there for about $8/pound.

Nope. I got a 22oz bag for 11.99 at Vitacost. That's 8.72ish/lb. None of the local groceries have it even close to that. I haven't tried Walmart yet. Their site has it for $9/lb. Amazon is about the same. We just don't have a lot of demand for it in the South. There is one crunchy grocery the next town. If I get the chance, I'll check it out sometime and see.

I haven't bought almonds in awhile. How much are they running a pound now?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong on the Safeway bin cost of almond meal…a alb bag of Bob's Red Mill almond flour was $12.14 at the CHEAPEST store in town…but this is for a GOOD CAUSE..just to have a 'bread' type food would be lovely!

I am so excited to make these..and I will add hempseed flour to see if it can partially replace the almond ..I got a bargain on 2 lb bags of hempseed hulls only- -for $7.99…cheap!