30mins < 5km

Options
Syleyna
Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
Soooooo, I run much slower than the app anticipates. I do treadmill on an incline and barely get faster than 5.3k/h. So by the end of my cooldown and 40mins of activity it says I've done 3.5km. Which is great, I'm happy with that. HOWEVER, I am entirely pooped by the end of my run, and still not running 5k. I'm hoping to get outside and go for an ACTUAL run the week after next and see how I go.
Has anyone else had the distance be inadequate re: time in the training? What did you do? I'm thinking of just progressing onto the 10k trainer and see how that goes. Running 2 lots of 20mins looks exhausting though, haha.

Replies

• rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I, too, am nowhere near 5K after the 40 minutes of activity. My plan is to increase the times in a similar pattern for the next few weeks - do three runs of 33 or 35 minutes (not including warmup and cooldown), then three runs at 38 minutes, then 40 minutes, and so on until I'm closer to 5K. And once I get closer then I might work on running at a faster pace.

I have heard that jumping into a bridge to 10K training plan is good as well because you're running longer and working on endurance, so when you circle back to a mere 5K you can be faster. Hope this helps!

PS Love your profile picture :grin:
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Yes, B210k is a good program to build upto 5k as you run longer. I was not at 5k too when u finished, but just 4 weeks later, was running 7k and my 5k times improved significantly. All the best!
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, sounds good.
    The only problem is fitting in the longer runs :P oh well, I'll have to make time.

Haha thanks @rebeccatherine, I thought it was pretty cool too xD
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Pretty standard at the end of C25k to not be able to do 5k in 30 mins or less. Me personally 5k took 33 mins, it took another 6 weeks to get 5k below 30 mins. To go faster you will need to run more, 4 days a week or b210k. As your fitness improves so will your speed. You are still at an early stage in your running, just ensure that you enjoy it. Good luck
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 years to get my 5k time under 30 minutes! Keep running!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I know that some apps have a 5k improver for people who have finished the program but don't have the distance. Some also have a distance based c25k program rather than a timed one, so it does your run/walk intervals based on the distance you've run rather the time you're running for. I was using the c25k app by Rundouble and it has both of these options. It's a paid app, but a good one.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My 5K time isn't under 30 minutes yet. I've been running about 2 years now. I'm still trying and still improving.
    Keep running. You'll get faster with time.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Personally I think if you've got the time (or can find it) to do longer runs, then a Bridge to 10k program is the best way to progress. By the time you've finished that you can usually decide how you want your running to progress and find an appropriate plan.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I know that some apps have a 5k improver for people who have finished the program but don't have the distance. Some also have a distance based c25k program rather than a timed one, so it does your run/walk intervals based on the distance you've run rather the time you're running for. I was using the c25k app by Rundouble and it has both of these options. It's a paid app, but a good one.

I also use RunDouble- love it! I used the distance versions of C25k and 5 to 10k when I first started running 2 years ago. I'm sort of using the 10k event plan now, but mostly use the fun runs. Well worth the few dollars I spent for the app!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am just sticking to the weekly C25K plan and completed week 5 so on to week 6! I have no idea the distance I am covering because I just listen to the podcast and struggle through by limiting my speed and focussing on breathing. I have registered for Parkrun but know I am not ready for it yet. I would love to know how far and fast I have managed. I am thinking if I could do 5 K in 45 minutes, that I would be happy to go into a Parkrun, what do you think? Right now I have only just run very slowly for 20 minutes so I am thinking I would need to be able to run at a faster speed and maintain that for a further 30, which I just could not do right now. However will keep plodding away at the programme.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am only on w5d3. I am nowhere near running 5k. For me, a distant goal is consistent 12 minute miles, or a 5K in under 40 min. Once I complete C25K (and I won't be at 5K) I plan to increase my time until I can run for 40 minutes straight on a regular basis. I have no desire to run 10K so I'm not sure I will download that app. Is it worth it just to have a dedicated programme to follow?

@joolieb1, register! Go for it! Who cares if you are last (which I doubt you will be, but even if you are -- so what? You beat everybody on the couch, right?). Back in time, when I did 5K fun runs, the sense of community was overwhelming and positive. Well worth it.

Going to check out rundouble.

Cheers, everyone!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You are funny! I have registered,mhave a wristband with my barcode on it, just my old body but when I complete C25K (in 3 weeks) - can u actually believe that
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @joolieb1 I have tailrunned at parkruns in the UK and honestly, I and the support team don't care how long it takes. We are there to help you be the best you can be. If you are truly worried about how slow you will be, just email them in advance. Parkrun is about participation not about speed. Just do it!! You are the only person holding you back.