Low Carb and Running?

Options
mountainrun73
mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
So I've been dabbling in low carb for a few months. I find that having adequate protein and fat does wonders for my moods! I still cling to eating legumes, rice, and quinoa because I like to run and would like to become a better runner (my next goal is to run 9 min miles or less). However, I am also at least 15lbs over what is a good weight to be proficient at running. So I know low carb is supposed to help with weight loss, but I abandon it after a week of being unable to even run 3 miles on a given day.

Anyone successfully run on low carb? I don't try to go too low - really want to stay in the 50-100g range per Primal Blueprint guidelines. Can I lose weight and be a better runner and do it low carb?

Replies

• leslileberman
    leslileberman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to and yes, it just takes a little while for your body to adapt to a different fuel for the run. Give it a few weeks. It took me a few weeks to be fully used to the change, but once I was I had much better distance and time. In the end you will wonder why you ever listened to the 'carb loading' advice! However, once you decide to change or quit this way of eating and pack back on the carbs, you will go through another adjustment period and it will be harder than ever energy wise. Any time you have a big pasta meal or something like that you can count on a crappy workout.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I run about 15 miles/week and my 5K pace has dropped from about 10 min/mile to 8 min/mile while low-carb.

You will adapt, and you'll LOVE the adaptations. You burn more fat and your O2 requirements drop. I used to huff and puff, but now I have steady breathing and my recovery is very quick.

I almost always have energy to spare after a 5K, even when I run fasted. No need for carb loading at that level.

The only caveat: you will make a LOT of ketones after a run, even at 50-100g carbs. You'll need to replenish electrolytes, especially sodium. If you ever feel fatigued, light-headed or have a headache, it is almost certainly a sign of low sodium. The high level of ketones will cause the sodium loss via urine -- it's not a sweat thing.

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Let your body adapt for a few weeks before pushing running too hard or you're going to have a bad time.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm keto and run.
  • PumpkinRunning
    PumpkinRunning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 6 months now, but just started lowering my carbs significantly in the last 2 weeks (started at 100g/day, now try to stay around 50g/day). I've definitely noticed my pace slowing lately; granted, I run terribly slow to begin with. I'm trying to just work through it, and not get too discouraged with the pacing. Because like others have said, once you break through and your body adjusts, your workouts will get back to normal (and most likely improve).
  • jaimebruckler
    jaimebruckler Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 2 years now while following traditional carb-loading advice. I began running as a way of refocusing myself away from the scale (which never seemed to budge except for in the wrong direction) and onto a more tangible goal. However, after running 30+ 5k's 4 10k's 1 half marathon and 1 Spartan race I still haven't lost weight. Not a single pound! Last month I switched over to a Keto diet and can't believe it's taken me this long to find this WOE! I have tons of energy! I have noticed my running times have slowed slightly but I think that's all just part of the adaptation process. I'm hopeful that as the lbs drop and my body fully adjusts that I'll see the times decrease as well. Until then I'll continue to be a turtle. A very happy turtle!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I ride a bike for 20-40 miles with very few calories and living low carb

You get fat as fuel adapted over time

Google mitochondria and endurance training

Your body actually changes to adapt to using fat as a higher mix in the fuel supply
  • thatdupeally
    thatdupeally Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. Training for a half marathon with no issues with my energy. I also have lupus/RA so that makes it a bit tough, but I'm still kicking.