"Afterburn" time?

Options
rosebarnalice
rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
Whether I'm fat, skinny, or anything in between, after I swim for an hour, my "afterburn" of hot red face and even sweaty scalp can take upwards of 45 minutes-- sometimes longer. Four laps of very very easy cooldown in the pool at the end of my workout followwd by a very cool shower helps some, but I still can't even attempt putting in face cream for at least an hour or it will just melt off.

Anyone else got superpowered afterburners?

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Usually only if I've done anaerobic work but it's horrible and lasts ages!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately its genetic :) I too am one of those red facers that take an age to cool down. I thought that losing weight and exercising more would help (I thought it was related to being unfit) but it didn't. All of my family are exactly the same.....
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Unfortunately its genetic :) I too am one of those red facers that take an age to cool down.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure I get it from my dad--who was bald as a cue ball, and whose head would turn red even eating spicy food!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I find experience the same when I get my heart rate to about 85% of my max or higher. It's hot under that bathing cap! lol
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    There are a lot of us out there! My other passion is going to out dancing and listening to bands - I am always the first to start sweating and turning red and it can be really embarrassing. But the worst time was when I was out sunning myself and this lady came over to me in a panic saying "get out of the sun you are getting really sumburnt" when it was just my red face coming to the fore as normal.... still it was nice to know that someone cared :)

I was talking with a sporty colleague about this and her basketball instructor said that us red-facers are actually people with the most efficient internal cooling systems - I suppose that thinking about it all that blood rushing to the skin to cool down rather than overheating our internal organs does make sense. But, I haven't been bothered yet to try to research that as I like that explanation and don't want it to be something else!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Another red facer here... I remember when I was a kid, my mom would pull me out of the fun to "rest" because I was "overheating." Not fun. When I took up running a couple of years ago, I found out that apparently I overheat in any weather. And now in a pool, it seems!
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    I actually had a lifeguard stop me and ask if I was having a heart attack!
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    There are a lot of us out there! My other passion is going to out dancing and listening to bands - I am always the first to start sweating and turning red and it can be really embarrassing. But the worst time was when I was out sunning myself and this lady came over to me in a panic saying "get out of the sun you are getting really sumburnt" when it was just my red face coming to the fore as normal.... still it was nice to know that someone cared :)

I was talking with a sporty colleague about this and her basketball instructor said that us red-facers are actually people with the most efficient internal cooling systems - I suppose that thinking about it all that blood rushing to the skin to cool down rather than overheating our internal organs does make sense. But, I haven't been bothered yet to try to research that as I like that explanation and don't want it to be something else!

Glad I am not alone.
    Over the last year I have taken up ballroom dancing. Love it, but the red face excessive sweating is so embarrassing. I keep having to nip off to the bathroom to wipe off the sweat running down my face, yuck!!! I thought it would get better as I lost weight and got fitter but if anything it seems to be worse.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Me, too. But only since my thyroid cancer. I bought some small super absorbent camping towels and keep them in my purse for times when I'm red faced & sweating in public. Yuck.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Well I've definitely got a case of it today after a fairly challenging session. Nearly five hours later and I still feel radioactive. Not to mention nearly falling asleep standing up!
  • giftbouquets
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    Me, too. But only since my thyroid cancer. I bought some small super absorbent camping towels and keep them in my purse for times when I'm red faced & sweating in public. Yuck.

Good idea, thanks.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried those wraps that are supposed to keep you cool? I saw one at Lowe's, of all places. Enduracool brand. Do those things work? They're not exactly stylish, but better than dripping with sweat.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I've never tried one of those, but I know that when I'm cold, having something on my neck to keep me warm works wonders. Once I cut my hair shorter, I can't stand to have cold air on it. Seems the reverse would be true?
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Never tried a cold wrap, but do have a little camping towel which I think will now live in my handbag just in case.

Also, I forgot that even doing a bit of housework brings on the red face - 15 mins today of general tidying and hoovering brought it on and the sweat was pouring down the back of my neck.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The cold things work ok. We used to use them a lot playing softball in the heat.

Pretty much anything will get me red-faced. Slightly warm in my classroom? I'm bright red and my kids are asking if I'm ok. The worst is the line at the jawline where the skin is red on my face and white on my neck. Seriously, isn't there ANYTHING that can be done about this?
  • giftbouquets
    Options
    Mine is partly due to being 'a woman of a certain age'. Giving up caffeine has helped a bit. I am a teacher too, LauraRae and the children are always asking me why my face is red!!
  • AquamadUK
    AquamadUK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Currently glowing now, post swim.... and am sat as close to my little desk fan as I can get.....
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    Has anyone tried those wraps that are supposed to keep you cool? I saw one at Lowe's, of all places. Enduracool brand. Do those things work? They're not exactly stylish, but better than dripping with sweat.

Yep! Love em! Feel great but don't so a danged thing about the red head!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I know it's an issue from within, but maybe a cooling agent like witchhazel or an ice pack can help this?
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My only problem after a swim are the prolonged 'racoon' eyes from my goggles! It really is ridiculous and they aren't super tight.