How Do I Get Back On Track?

Options
Scorpiotwin
Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
Is it possible that when you go into panic mode that you crave carbs? The last several days have been emotionally and physically draining. I haven't been able to stay in my home for the last several days do to a robbery so my food and exercise routine have completely gone down the tubes. Today, I returned home because my dog was so stressed out by not being home that she is literally peeing everywhere. Food wise this has been my worst day in a long while. I feel like I've eaten everything that wasn't nailed down. I even ate sweet corn bread and I almost never eat cornbread. I feel awful, my blood sugar has shot way up, and I haven't slept well in days. What do you do when you go completely off the rails? I'm not Keto, but I've considered doing it to help me get back on track. What about fasting? I need some advice.

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've had such a rough time of it! Hope this passes quickly and you can feel safe again. :( As to your question, absolutely stress can cause not only cravings but the cortisol can tell your body to store fat esp thinking you are in danger. Hope things calm down and you get some peace soon.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause us to eat more and make bs rise. I suggest taking a few days to get back to normal and then pick it up again and you will get back on track.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Try going longer between meals, don't eat anything until you feel real hunger. That way you will burn off those carbs and it won't end up on your hips :) Hang in there, it will get better.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Big hugs, that sounds terrible. Just do what you need to to feel better and get back on track when you are more settled?

Or just take the opportunity to water fast? That gets you back on track and into keto quicker than anything else. Not sure if you are diabetic though, and, if so, probably don't fast.

Hope things improve for you soon.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am diabetic so I'm a little afraid of fasting, but I am going to try to-go longer between meals. I'm also going to hopefully get a workout in today.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sending big hugs that both you and your doggie feel safe at home soon.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There's the saying "One day at a time". I know when I hit a low, I used to think, a day? God, please give me the strength to get past this next hour, then the next.

Probably, now is not the time to fast, you need your strength. Focus on planning 3 decent sit down meals for the day, with calories totaling just under your TDEE, add fats to keep you satisfied until the next meal. Limit your snacks and you will get through it. Carbs beget more carbs. Supplement with veggies if you crave some carbs. Peppers and tomatoes seem to work for me.
    Remember, You are loved. Find those around you who are calming to you. Even if that means kissing your puppy. Animals pick up on the vibes of their owners. Give her some pats, tell her everything is going to be ok, we will get through this and this will be a memory. Today is a fresh start, even if it means chipping away at it in hour increments.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Seems like things are pretty crazy right now. Does your circumstance allow you to plan your food right now? As a diabetic, I would not skip meals. But you might want to try to figure out some ways to incorporate better eating, which will make you feel better but also make you feel more in control of the situation.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    More than anything not stressing yourself over a 'diet',,no matter how wonderful LC is..might help.

Circumstances are totally out of your control. You can decide what to put into your mouth..but PLEASE don't stress any more over it.

if you went all your life without LC then a few more days of not being in strict LC will not do damage…

as others have advised..if you can buy some non-cook carb foods-- cheese, cooked meat, HB eggs from the deli, you can help yourself that way? a cheap foam cooler can hold all of it.
    And cuddle up with the puppy as much as possible, she needs your attention, and you need her doggy love.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    * I had a burglary, lost 40 years of jewelry, and brand new Mac laptop!!…and it freaked out both dogs to have the house invaded while I was gone.. But thank God they were not harmed by the thieves. ALL this while I was in the hospital for life saving surgery..so coming home and seeing the mess of dumped out drawers, and loss of personal items ended up being LESS important that having to recover from the surgery. I didn't have the strength to waste on worry over lost things.

put in perspective….the dogs recovered, I healed, and insurance replaced most of what was lost. [ hard way to learn there is a $$$ limit on jewelry..you have to pay extra for full coverage..thankfully the $3500 coverage replaced the important pieces…a loss of $7500 total!!! ( really adds up with a lifetime
    of gifts, and birthday presents, etc) but most was costume jewelry and earrings and such I didn't care as much about. Losing my mother's stuff was hard, and the rare pieces acquired in my travels. but they are just things.
    If my dogs had been killed or poisoned would have been far worse..so we can recover from these issues.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I truly appreciate it. This was the second time I was robbed. The first time was when I was on vacation a few years ago, the dog was with me, they literally had taken everything. The police eventually caught the guy. He ended up murdering someone during a botched robbery.

The second time they got less stuff, but it happened in broad daylight within a two hour time span. This time It felt more personal like I was being watched. They also did way more damage to my home trying to get in. I fear that it's someone in my neighborhood. My dog was home, she's a little Datsun mix. My neighbor reported seeing her wandering around outside alone, but nobody put 2 +2 together. I couldn't find her for a while, she had gone into hiding. That was scary. I thought that someone had kidnapped her or worse.

I've gotten back into working out and my diet is starting to get back to normal. Just going out and buying a few things to get me back on track has helped a lot. I will be less stressed once all the repairs are made and my new security system gets setup.