Nutella fail

Options
So..I did well all day yesterday, everything was nicely planned out. Then, the kids went to bed and the jar of nutella was just out on the counter staring me in my face! I had some :/ I knew better. Why do we know better and cave?! I'll do so well once it's all out of my system, but the first few days are always a back and forth game of trying to get back on the wagon with me. Well, I'm geared up now for a new day 1 AGAIN! I have everything with me at work, dinner is in the fridge at home for a heat and eat, and my husband took the nutella to work with him:) Here's to a new day!!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Why do we know better and cave?!

That is really a great question. I've been thinking about urges and cravings recently. Our brains can override some of them for a long time, some of them for a short time, and some of them not at all. It makes you question the idea of free will a bit. :)

Ever hear of the "cafeteria diet" effect? Just having the stuff out in the open can be a powerful influence.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/09/humans-on-cafeteria-diet.html

I doubt the investigators were prepared for what they observed when they turned the ten men loose on those vending machines. They immediately began consuming excessive calories, an average of 1,544 kcal per day in excess of their previously determined energy needs (with a fairly typical macronutrient composition by percentage). That amounts to a roughly 60% increase in calorie intake over baseline, a striking change, particularly since it was completely voluntary. Over the course of seven days, the volunteers gained an average of 5.1 lb (2.3 kg).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    My first advice is always not to buy it, but if you've got it in the house for your kids, then ya, it's a different story. Like @wabmester points out out, simply having stuff available makes us more likely to go for it. I know I've had knuckle-biting moments when people have brought treats to work, or at a potluck, etc. "Free" is a big trigger for me as much as "available".

Good job posting here for accountability, and kudos for getting right back on track! Like they say, following a screw-up with more screw-ups is like getting a flat tire then popping your other 3. You wouldn't do that in real life, you'd fix the 1 tire and drive on! So too with dietary choices.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could talk yourself out of caving in if you made it a rule that any time you are holding something in your hands that you know doesn't fit into your plan you must read the label?
    Do you think if you could make yourself read the label, then were forced to deal with the knowledge of exactly how many carbs/sugar you were considering eating that you may be able to then talk yourself out of it?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Over the course of seven days, the volunteers gained an average of 5.1 lb (2.3 kg).

Dang, that explains why I gained so much this last vacation. :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The book I'm reading/listening to (on audiobook) is called Change Anything - The New Science of Personal Change. It explains why things like this are not just a case of willpower. There are a huge number of influences on us, and unless we marshal the influences on our side to support us - and even be aware of all the outside influences that work against us - as well as learn new skills to combat these temptations we KNOW we should not concede to, we increase our chances of success, but to truly succeed, we must do all these things and more!!!

I am really really loving this book. I can't wait to finish it and jump in the middle of the plans for developing my own more successful and ongoing change plans!
  • leslileberman
    leslileberman Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, having things in the house really stinks because I know I will go for them. Once I'm on a roll, however, it is very easy for me to not even think twice about them! It's like my brain is fighting to just keep on putting things that aren't healthy in my mouth! I'll do really well, not even feeling tempted for months, then one day just go ape on any and everything. Then, it is super hard to cut it all out again. I will definitely look into the book!! This can benefit way more than tackling eating issues!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hey! maybe try this low carb nutella recipe and see if the kiddo likes it? Win win for both of you.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/06/homemade-low-carb-chocolate-hazelnut-spread.html
  • leslileberman
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    Hey! maybe try this low carb nutella recipe and see if the kiddo likes it? Win win for both of you.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/06/homemade-low-carb-chocolate-hazelnut-spread.html

OMG you're awesome!!!
  • leslileberman
    Options
    I had no idea a website like that exists! I am forever googling low carb recipes and it gives me the same old same old. Awesome!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Considering my previous nutella addiction (I could go through a LARGE jar in one single sitting with a spoon), I'm terrified of that site and that recipe. I downloaded it ages ago, but to me, that would be a gateway drug back to my liquid crack, and I'm just not that strong yet! Congrats to anyone who is!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yup, I got it wrong - personal success, not personal change! I downloaded it as a free audio book on Overdrive through my local library, but I definitely want to get a hard copy!! Thanks for posting the link, as since it was an audio book, I hadn't though to find a hard copy link!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yup, I got it wrong - personal success, not personal change! I downloaded it as a free audio book on Overdrive through my local library, but I definitely want to get a hard copy!! Thanks for posting the link, as since it was an audio book, I hadn't though to find a hard copy link!

Looks like the price is right for a second hand copy - $1.97! If you finish reading it first, please start a thread on it. I would love to discuss.

I'm at about the halfway point, but I have to check it back in tomorrow, then see if I can check it back out...so you might beat me to the end, but yes, I'd love a discussion on it!!! There are even a good many exercises within the program we can all help each other with!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Happens in my house too. Cue the tall, lean, lanky husband and kids who never have to watch what they eat.

HIDE IT

Literally. If I see something and think "Ohhhh, that would be nice." I immediately put it away out of eyesight then walk away. I have a drink of water to physically distract myself. Then I purposely focus on another thought. I look out the window and think of somewhere I'd like to travel to, something I'd like to see or something I'd like to learn about, anything that gets my brain away from thinking about or obsessing over that food. I find that most times I will forget about it. After a while it just becomes a mental habit and is easy to do.

Good luck.