Ingredient Label Surprises

Options
ceciliaslater
ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
I was at my parents' house over the weekend and looking for something quick and easy for a snack. I saw a jar of peanut butter--it's the cheap/generic stuff--so I picked it up and looked at the label. I was not the least bit surprised to see corn syrup on there. Regular peanut butter always has either corn syrup or sugar. What did surprise me was a tad farther down the ingredients list: molasses! Really?! Molasses?! Why??? Needless to say, I kept on searching.

What items have you found to have surprising ingredients?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, seems like sugar or soy are in every damn thing.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Ya, seems like sugar or soy are in every damn thing.

I can't believe all the stuff soy is used in. Nearly every label has it listed somewhere. There was a conversation a couple days ago about twizzlers, I know none of us eat those frequently, if at all, but my sister used to eat a bag a day, then she had to go gluten free, I was stunned to find the second ingredient after corn syrup is wheat flour.

Truly shows how little attention I paid to this stuff before this woe.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    MSG is in a ton of things, too, including bouillon cubes.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Jif creamy peanut butter (with the sugars and all). I remember when they first came out with Reeses Peanut Butter and I found molasses on the label. It actually gives it a wonderfully different flavour and also a touch of iron. I would thereafter seek out peanut butter with molasses in it.
    I can't remember when, but at some point, I started buying natural peanut butter. I was scared of it at first because it looked all gross and separated in the jar. Nobody ever taught me how to prepare it for use. I finally discovered that you could turn it upside down on the counter for a while then mix it up with a knife or spoon, and put it into the freezer to help solidify it in its mixed state. That same process works for almond butter, too, which I had started having sometimes instead...and now I actually prefer plain almond butter over any other nut butters.
    Of course now I rarely eat any nut butter because my carbs are SO low, but when I do, I have the almond or macadamia nut butter. Mac nut butter pretty much ONLY comes in "natural" separated state.
    Fun times.

MSG...oh man yes.
    Pick up a bag of flavoured pork rinds / chicharrones. Read ingredients. Weep, and grab the plain bag instead with a dish of Daisy sour cream.

-T.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    We don't have sugar in peanut butter in New Zealand, so it always surprises me to hear it does overseas.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm a celiac so automatically a good 80% of processed foods aren't safe for me or my family. I get annoyed when it says "May contain gluten" on nuts though. Ugh. It's in many sausages, sauces (soy or worchestershire), beef jerky... Why does beef jerky need gluten?!

It does make the cereal aisle easy though. There is only GF Rice Chex or the "healthy" flax/chia type cereals.... My boys don't even bother asking anymore. LOL
  • ceciliaslater
    Options
    I blend the oil back into nut butters using a hand mixer--scrape it into a bowl, mix it up, then pour it back into the jar and refrigerate. I don't have the patience for hand stirring it, and some brands are definitely more challenging to hand stir than others.

The gluten in the beef jerky has to come from the worchestershire in the marinade (and/or soy sauce). Hard to find jerky without one or both, as they're a huge part of the flavor profile.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was complaining about the company Hampton Creek showing an EGG in their logo..so eco groovy a mayo..but there is NO EGG..and they are being sued for the marketing sneakiness by Hellmans.

I KNOW most mayo is not real anymore, they all have soybean oil....and dont buy it. It is what it is ..so I am free to choose.

But to IMPLY/INFER your product is so healthy, etc..and it be a marketing lie really ticked me off.. I complained to them, and tell everyone. ..boycot if you like. My HFS stopped selling it. ( oh and the tricky part?..they don't SHOW a real egg..the label has a die cut "egg shape" in the plain brown wrapper label..to indicate 'goodness and eco healthy, we're anon commercial" Mayo..which is even worse in my book.
    http://time.com/money/3578338/just-mayo-hellmanns-mayonnaise-lawsuit/

REPLY: Helen Cox <wecare@hamptoncreek.com>
    Thanks for the feedback , So sorry if something was misleading, definitely not the intent. << really? why not square shape then?

Twizzlers- licorice..so disappoiting. NO real licorice in any of it..all wheat and HFCS and junk dyes.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    We don't have sugar in peanut butter in New Zealand, so it always surprises me to hear it does overseas.

Hi Nzer!
    I live in chch and there is sugar in lot of the peanut butters here in NZ. You have to read the labels all the time. At the moment I have a jar of Pics peanut butter, it is delish. no sugar.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I was at my parents' house over the weekend and looking for something quick and easy for a snack. I saw a jar of peanut butter--it's the cheap/generic stuff--so I picked it up and looked at the label. I was not the least bit surprised to see corn syrup on there. Regular peanut butter always has either corn syrup or sugar. What did surprise me was a tad farther down the ingredients list: molasses! Really?! Molasses?! Why??? Needless to say, I kept on searching.

What items have you found to have surprising ingredients?

My sweet son got me some "natural! No sugar added!" PB the other day. I sure love him. But... Sweetened with honey. Lol. Well, he likes it anyway.

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, Kraft Mayo "with olive oil" and pictures of olives on it contains mostly soybean oil with a dash of olive oil in it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We got snowed in several years ago at a friend's house. When my then-4 year old daughter requested a snack of banana and peanut butter I warned her that it wasn't the peanut butter she's used to (she never tried anything other than natural). She tasted one bite and made a disgusted face and refused to eat it lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    We got snowed in several years ago at a friend's house. When my then-4 year old daughter requested a snack of banana and peanut butter I warned her that it wasn't the peanut butter she's used to (she never tried anything other than natural). She tasted one bite and made a disgusted face and refused to eat it lol.

That is awesome!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I blend the oil back into nut butters using a hand mixer--scrape it into a bowl, mix it up, then pour it back into the jar and refrigerate. I don't have the patience for hand stirring it, and some brands are definitely more challenging to hand stir than others.

This is genius!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    How do you make Mayo without egg??? I'm befuddled.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    carom wrote: »
    minties82 wrote: »

Hi Nzer!
    I live in chch and there is sugar in lot of the peanut butters here in NZ. You have to read the labels all the time. At the moment I have a jar of Pics peanut butter, it is delish. no sugar.

I don't eat the stuff, it's gross, but never seen anything other than nuts and oil as an ingredient? I think I have pams and eta in the cupboard for the kids.

• ceciliaslater
    Options
    @annalisbeth74 - I tried a new method for the peanut butter yesterday. Just use one beater on the hand mixer instead of two, and it fits in the jar perfectly. So, no need for the bowl and scraping at all! Just make sure you start out on super low speed or oil goes everywhere. Thank god I have dogs to clean my floors. lol
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My natural pb says to refrigerate. Is it necessary?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    How do you make Mayo without egg??? I'm befuddled.

Ingredients list pea protein and modified food starch, so that must contribute to emulsification.

For homemade eggless mayo without all the other garbage, you can get *kinda* close using flaxseed: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/
  • ceciliaslater
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    My natural pb says to refrigerate. Is it necessary?

I think the refrigeration is only to help reduce oil separation once you've mixed it back in, but I could be wrong.