Wednesday

Options
maoribadger
maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
How are we all. It's quiet in here. Working on my house today as it's raining and I have my nephew over so the kids are all entertaining themselves. Pretty beat after not sleeping post nighys yesterday and feel like hibernating but refusing to let it beat me down

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    We were rainy here, too...nice gentle, make you wanna sleep rain. It's too bad you can't catch a quick power nap, as those work wonders. I've found that sometimes, pushing through is utterly necessary. Sometimes, however, pushing through just ain't worth it. Attempting to prove I'm strong or better than these things is just unnecessary. When I accepted that I didn't have to be strong or perfect, it's progress, not perfection (my psychiatrist convinced me), it was so much more freeing. Not that I'm not still a perfectionist, but I had to learn that what could give was NOT my health or SANITY.... But that's just me.

Lise, I know you're in your own process, and I know it's a helluva struggle right now. I'm sending you good thoughts laced with Vitamin D3! (Btw, do you pair yours with calcium and K2? Helps it all process and absorb properly.)

Anyway, I'm here, dragging my tail, and trying to get focused on work... Debating caffeine or vitamins...or a nap... ;) I'll check in later.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    To be honest Carly I dont take any vitamins unless i remember the multivit I have in the cupboard. I take my mirtazipine and aripiprazole (ablify)(antidepressants) and take prescription strength iron with it but thats all i take. I need to look at vit B and D I just havent done so yet. Its payday friday so will look into it though. I havent managed a nap but the house is clean now so am having some sofa time while i organise childcare for the next couple of weeks for work and before I start cooking. Luckily kids are being super good today and playing mostly nicely. Have had a shower and changed as its occurred to me I havent got dressed all day again, thats one of my triggers so Im watching it and went and did something about it though. Hopefully appointments for mental health team and this chronic fatigue clinic will come through soon so I can ask for some answers as Im struggling kinda alone atm and hate keeping on moaning at you lot or my friends about it.

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hey Lise and Carly and others to come!!!

I'm doing OK. Reggie and I are thru. Very tired of his BS. Told him last week, I'd give him a month to get his crap together...I can't continue, so I ended it this morning. OH well. Maybe now I can make it to Zumba and focus on me for awhile. Yes, I promise, I am OK.

Lise, so glad you are working on the house, that's progress. Even if you don't feel like doing it, you are pushing thru and doing what you don't want to do. Like Carly said, power naps are wonderful things, try to get one. It's great that your nephew gets to spend time with your kids today... keeps them busy and you get to spend time with him also.

Carly, it's supposed to rain here today. I'm just waiting for it. I love the rain. I agree, pushing thru is utterly necessary at times, I have those times often. I don't do it to prove things to me or others, but to keep on a schedule. I do much better when my time is schedules vs free time. Even if all I have is a list of things to accomplish. It's the bipolar/ocd in me. I'm glad to know court went ok for you yesterday. I still need to check out the email of the weapon. I need something as I work in the city of Wilmington, DE. NOT very safe at all.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Instead of a kubaton, Cari, if you just carry a pen in your hand, one that has a metal tip (they are usually like $5), you use a metal tip so it own't shatter, you can use that. Basically, it is meant to hit pressure points. SO if someone grabs you, you can hit their wrist or elbow joints. If you are under threat of death, you can go for where the neck meets shoulders, eye sockets, etc. If you google self defense with kubaton, any of the moves should be transferable with a pen if that is all you have.

I firmly suggest all women take a self defense class. You will be shocked how simple some things are... There should be you tube videos, but if you can find a local class (usually the Y and other places will have them for $20-$40... Well worth the time/energy, and you might make some new friends, too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hitting wrist is if they grab you from in front of you, elbow and/or shoulder would be if they grab you from behind. All you have to do is get that grip to loosen. Stomping on the instep is good. As is kicking the knee from in front (if you are a pinned). My fiance always says, "If they can't see, they can'r breath, they can't stand, then they can't fight." So jab/punch toward the eyes, toward the nose, and kick the knees/insteps (not balls, many men can withstand that easily)... It seems crazy, but under threat of bodily harm, you'll be surprised how that thought sticks with you.

A self-defense class will also teach you creative ways to break holds (dropping down out of one's grasp in my favorite) and to step away or deflect someone's energy...
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks Carly for the awesome info. I actually want to take Karate. Call me nuts, but I'd like to get the focus, discipline and everything that Karate or martial arts in general offers. But, I do believe as I lose weight until I can afford martial arts, I will take a self-defense class. I think it would be pretty awesome and could make some new friends in the process, which would be pretty cool also. Also, I gained the weight as a shield from sexual assault, so it would help to know I can protect myself now. May even help me get over the mental block of losing weight.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    I can highly recommend martial arts.I.Did.it.for about ten years before having the kids
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks Carly for the awesome info. I actually want to take Karate. Call me nuts, but I'd like to get the focus, discipline and everything that Karate or martial arts in general offers. But, I do believe as I lose weight until I can afford martial arts, I will take a self-defense class. I think it would be pretty awesome and could make some new friends in the process, which would be pretty cool also. Also, I gained the weight as a shield from sexual assault, so it would help to know I can protect myself now. May even help me get over the mental block of losing weight.

Tai Chi is a good starting point for the mental balance. Then there is combat tai chi. I find this fits my personal style far more than karate, which is far too....sharp and aggressive for me. There are literally dozens of martial arts. I recommend doing to some reading, watching videos, and trying a bunch of styles before deciding what works best for you. Judo, for example, is a lot of leg/floor/wrestling work. Wing chun is a style typically associated with women (Bruce Lee was very well versed in this) that uses a lot of repetitive motions to overwhelm, rather than flat out requisite strength. Karate is very form based. Within karate, there are dozens of variant styles, too. Oh, and please don't let your weight hold you back - you can start modified tai chi or any other form at any size and just adjust the movements to your abilities. If you really like Zumba, a more acrobatic/dancy style may be to your liking. If you find you don't like whatever class you try, do some more research and try another style. There are as many styles of martial arts as types of books and authors or any other helpful skill out there!
  • maoribadger
    Options
    In terms of karate I'd recommend wado ryu. It's much lighter and less stampy than shotokan. The forms...Kata were my favourite part of karate. If you do a Kata correctly itshould make you put of breath and sweaty. I did wado ryu and kickboxing.to black belt level and still miss it loads
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Skinny martial artist me...

zhnejhpvj9xu.jpg
    uqk2tds4fty0.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Love the pictures, Lise!!! I can't "get" martial arts for the most part. My brain doesn't do sequence well. I can memorize things, but I have to understand where things are coming from to "GET" it, and this positively drives my fiance crazy, because he was always taught, watch, copy, repeat. My brain and body don't always speak the same language, so many times, I would use the wrong muscle groups, and then things "looked" right until adding on to it, and things didn't work right. It's exceedingly frustrating for us both. I actually started some Tai Ji Bang exercises a while back to help with my wrist pain, but I gave it up when we lost internet access at home...

I'm totally jealous. And yes, I think the kata would be my favorite bits, too, which is why I suggested Tai Chi... Usually those forms are very rhythmic, and most people can get them (other than my brain, which doesn't like moving that slow). Maybe one of these days, I'll figure out how to rewire my brain so that I can enjoy martial arts, too. But that's part of why I'm working on meditation, too. LOL
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Lise and Carly, again, thanks for the awesome info. I never knew there was so many styles of Karate out there. I love Zumba, but due to Reggie's BS.... I still never made it to a class and I work this Saturday, so this Saturday is out too. I will make it sooner rather than later. I was thinking about it more for self-defense, and although, I am sorta letting the weight hold me back, a HUGE part of it is funds. I'm dead broke, but looking at groupons... maybe I can get a deal or something to try it at least.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Carly tbh kata makes more sense the further into it you get as you understand what move is an attack, what is a defence. I did kickboxing from age 20 to about 29 and karate from about 27 to 29 both to 1st dan. I stopped when pregnant and i think now theres too much against me to go back to it but ive discovered my gym and my lifting which has replaced that need I have for something i cant really define. A community, a challenge maybe I dont know