Nut Butter Protein Bars plus my attempt at flaxseed butter.

Options
Neofolis
Neofolis Posts: 5 Member
Just joined the group and thought I'd share something that I've been making recently.

I've made this recipe with many nut butters, but recently tried to make my own flaxseed butter. I added 1.1kg of flaxseeds to a Vitamix style blender, which didn't work out particularly well, because a food processor is the better tool for the job and it's better to roast the flaxseeds first. Anyway I added 250ml of walnut oil to make the consistency more blender friendly and it still sound like the blender was going to die, so I infact made flaxseed mash. It doesn't make too much difference for this recipe, but you want to get the flaxseeds ground to some extent otherwise you won't digest them. I recommend roasting the seeds for 10 minutes first and then using a food processor. The rest is really simple.

350g Vitafiber
250g Protein Powder (of your choice)
250g Nut/Seed Butter
5ml Vanilla Extract

Add the Vitafiber to a large mixing bowl and microwave on full power for 2 minutes, (Based on 700w Microwave)
Add the protein powder, nut/seed butter and vanilla extract and mix with a rubber spatula. As the mixture comes together and forms a fairly dry dough, switch from the spatula to your hand to kneed the dough into an even consistency.

Spray a 13x9 baking sheet with non stick spray then put the dough into the tray and push it out to the edges. Try to get the level as even as possible, then smooth over with the rubber spatula. Place in the fridge for at least an hour or, if you are impatient like me, in the freezer for 15-30 minutes. If you have used a runnier nut butter and the dough is softer/stickier you will need to be near the 30 minutes, if the dough is drier 15 minutes may well be enough.

Remove from the fridge/freezer, then remove from the baking sheet and cut into 16 bars.

Macros will vary depending on the type/brand of nut/seed butter, but the ones I have made have fallen into these ranges.

Calories 198-224
Protein 17-20g
Carbs 17-21g
Fats 6-11g
Fibre 13-19g

Every combination I have tried so far tastes good, but the best for me was Salted Caramel Protein Powder with Peanut Butter.