magnesium

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Ok so I want to continue to try magnesium, but I've tried two different brands now, and one I frankly can't choke down the pill anymore. Its like those huge purple dog pills. Seriously. The other one makes me have immediate diarreah, Natures bounty is tht one. the other is store brand.

Replies

• jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have heard that a lot here use Natural Calm which is a soluble version and the most bioavailable. That might help you. I agree about the size of some of the tabs! I have Natural Calm waiting for me in UK....it will be such a relief NOT to try swallowing a horse pill! Lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mine are capsules, like same size as ibuprofen. You can even get it in liquid. or powder to mix in liquid. Did you get Magnesium Oxide? That one is evil! I use a chelated magnesium citrate for easy absorption... Did you see the articles on the best kinds to try?
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I switched to the liquid- Good State ionic magnesium. It tastes terrible, but so far none of the digestive side effects. I mix it in a shot glass with a little stevia lemonade, and wash it down as quickly as possible with more lemonade.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Knit or Miss - nope no oxide!! That's a guaranteed weightloss pill! lol.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've used Natural Calm, but the taste isn't that great to me, no matter the flavor. It's hard for me to drink it without getting nauseous. However, it's easy to take and just require a water bottle and water really.

It's been very difficult to find a pill that isn't horse sized as I hate swallowing pills. I recently bought some off Amazon though: Natural Zest Ultimate Magnesium (citrate). They are capsules about the size of an Advil liquid gel. 200mg a capsule, says to take 2 daily. Any more than 400mg for me makes me move into the bathroom.
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Is there a time of day that is preferable to take magnesium?
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I would do the Natural Calm at night before bed due to it's supposed sleep and relaxation benefits. Honestly, it never really helped me. I still fidgeted with restless legs and I still would wake up at 3 am with insomnia. Now I just take the capsules with the rest of the supplements at lunch time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I get the super sleepies if I take them during the day, but I have a preexisting issue the postprandial somnolence, so I don't know how much it effects others.... I take mine with or just after dinner to help with absorption and sleep.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium glycinate powder. It is supposed to be one of the most bioavailable forms with the least side effects. I take 1/4 gram a day at night dissolved in water. Highly economic and it works. Improved sleep and no night cramps. It doesn't taste great, it doesn't matter to me. I don't drink it for the taste. I suppose you could mask the taste.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F7OZJQE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Read the reviews to decide if it right for you.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that I should get one with calcium in it too, I don't know where I saw that or why, does anyone know if it matters? also has anyone tried the solgar liquid magnesium + calcium? it has 2 g of carbs and 20 calories, which is ok for me, but I don't want something that tastes gross. I really need something and there are way to many to choose from
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think mag and calcium help each other absorb.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I use magnesium citrate Solgar. Take one at lunch and one at bedtime. There is a big difference between the types. There is a Magnesium with Calcium ~ which I have to take twice as much to get the same effect as the Magnesium citrate. Magnesium Oxide is the same stuff in "Milk of Magnesia", used for constipation relief.

Here is a decent article on magnesium:

Different Forms of Magnesium

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated

• inspirationstation
    Options
    I take Natural Calm.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I use a powdered one from Bulk Supplements. I get it from Amazon- it comes in a resealable bag. I take that along with powdered potassium. Mix them with a little water or almond milk, crystal light, whatever, not much taste at all.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Oh, it's mag citrate.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I use magnesium citrate Solgar. Take one at lunch and one at bedtime. There is a big difference between the types. There is a Magnesium with Calcium ~ which I have to take twice as much to get the same effect as the Magnesium citrate. Magnesium Oxide is the same stuff in "Milk of Magnesia", used for constipation relief.

Here is a decent article on magnesium:

Different Forms of Magnesium

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated

thank you for sharing that link, that helps a lot. just picked up some mag glycinate, they only had pills not power, I'm hoping it helps. no wonder the oxide doesn't seem to be doing anything if you only absorb 80 of 400 mg
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have been struggling with constipation since starting low-carb a little over a month ago and have been trying to figure out how to get things moving along. :) It looks like magnesium may help, but am wondering if anyone can chime in on which one. I'm looking at getting some magnesium citrate but am concerned it won't give me enough of a laxative effect. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Coconut oil, coffee, and such are generally better for me. Also, if you've the carbs for it, I'm finding that adding Kombucha (a naturally fermented tea) into my diet is balancing my bowels better than anything (I no longer have a gallbladder, so that can be complicated for me.)...

Coconut oil can soften things too much, so start slowly.

Coffee is called nature's Ex-Lax for a reason.

Magnesium Oxide triggers diarrhea, but I doubt you want that reaction. I think the magnesium levels recommended are 400-800 mg for efficacy, though I take a little under 300 mg daily, at night, and it has balanced me out well. I take a chelated Magnesium Citrate.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I'm not a coffee drinker. I do not have a gallbladder either...What do you do with the coconut oil? I've never tried it and wouldn't know what or how to take it. Thanks!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I'm not a coffee drinker. I do not have a gallbladder either...What do you do with the coconut oil? I've never tried it and wouldn't know what or how to take it. Thanks!

I put the coconut oil in hot tea (I'm so not a coffee fan) along with heavy cream, starting with 1 tsp at a time, upping a little every few days to find your threshold. This is my variation of bullet proofing my tea. The original recipe calls for butter instead of cream, but I did not like the flavor.

You can cook with it as you would any other fat - butter, bacon grease, olive oil, etc. Just don't fry with it, most isn't intended to be used at that temperature and starts to break down.

My favorite use is in fat bombs. Little sweet or savory bites that add a bit of extra fat to your diet. Can be used as a snack or with a meal. If in doubt, google "fat bombs."

But essentially, it can be used anywhere you would normally use butter or other fat in the cooking/serving process.