Urrgghhh why did I even bother?

Options
mrsgreen5686
mrsgreen5686 Posts: 34 Member
Last night my hubby and I had a date night, we were child free. So for the first time in 4 and a half weeks since starting the 5:2 I knew I was going to have a night off from thinking about what I was eating and not counting calories.

We went to asda got a make your own pizza we got 14 inch with spicy chicken, chilli beef, jalapeños, chilli cheese and pepperoni. We also got a little cheesy garlic bread and made some fries.

We got home and I cooked the food I was so looking forward to it. The pizza was beautiful and god only knows how many calories was in this pizza. I can honestly say I well and truly stuffed my face. I had 2 and a half slices of the pizza 1 slice of the cheesy garlic bread and a handful of fries. This was so much less than what I would normally have eaten. It tasted so good but then shortly after I felt sick and the smell made me feel horrible. This morning I felt bloated and heavy I honestly do not know why I bothered doing it I'm the first place? Won't be doing it again in a hurry.

Does anyone else ever do this? Do you regret having a night off or when you plan a night off can you not eat as much as usual.
It is a really good job as I bet there was 400 calories a slice on that pizza it was huge. I did also swill it down with a full sugared lucozade and finished off with a few maoam pinball sweets :neutral:

Replies

• dorriemochan
    dorriemochan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find I can eat just as much as I used to on the non-fast days! Sadly the decreased appetite and feeling fuller quicker hasn't really happened to me. And I haven't actually lost anything doing this. But isn't the point of 5:2 so that you can have a bit of a blow out once in a while and not really worry about it?
  • SofaKween
    SofaKween Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance. The occasional day of over-indulgence is built into 5:2 way of life, just remember if it's a lot of processed food like pizza and garlic bread then there's likely to be a lot of salt in it which causes water retention. If I weigh myself the morning after a pizza/curry night out the scales are always a bit of a shock! Trick is not to let this lead to a "what's the point" day where I over-eat again. Instead, I drink plenty of water to flushout the salt, eat sensibly and get back on with 5:2 as normal with only happy memories of a good night out (or in). Don't regret your nights out Mrsgreen, just work your 5:2 calories around them.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to just go overboard to reset yourself and know what not to do. It is all a mind game.
  • mrsgreen5686
    Options
    I got straight back om track the day after with a fast day. And I had a drink this weekend too but didn't go over my calories. Yeah I suppose the 5:2 is about not feeling guilty about eating fatty foods. I'm still new to this and can't imagine not ever feeling guilty about over eating. I did really enjoy the night so yeah that's great advice don't fregret it. I now have 14 weeks to lose a minimum of 10lb! I hope I can do it xx
  • dorriemochan
    dorriemochan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great advice ladies, thanks. And let's remember all of the other documented health benefits aside from just shifting the pounds. I do always feel less sluggish and just better in myself after a fast day so I won't quit even if I continue to not lose any weight.
  • SofaKween
    SofaKween Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well done mrsgreen!
  • mrsgreen5686
    Options
    Well done mrsgreen!

Thank you :)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I find I can eat just as much as I used to on the non-fast days! Sadly the decreased appetite and feeling fuller quicker hasn't really happened to me. And I haven't actually lost anything doing this. But isn't the point of 5:2 so that you can have a bit of a blow out once in a while and not really worry about it?

For some the 5:2 is a way to keep a very low-fi diet plan, losing weight slowly and not think too much about calories on non-FD. For others it's a way to be able to get away from dreary low deficit every day. For someone else it might be to be able to lose weight at all (was me).

Many find that not tracking on non-FD eats up their deficit for the week. The FD are supposed to make up your deficit. If you go over that on the other days, then bye-bye deficit :(

So the results depends on what you want and how you wanna get it, I guess.

Try track accurately for a month all days and establish a baseline ? Then you can adjust calories up or down from there.

• edellaSut
    edellaSut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic on an intensive basal-bolus protocol with my insulin. My normal way of eating is a very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb diet (Wahls Paleo Protocol). I don't do 5:2 to let me have blow-outs on normal days-- although really, in a way, the 5:2 days ARE my blow-outs. They are a way to experiment with adding more carbs to my day's meals in a controlled way. I take the expense of ordering meals from the fast diet kitchen and have the total luxury of not planning or even preparing 5:2 meals, although I might throw in some spinach or a small salad if the calories allow.

For ordinary meals, I use the magnificent menu-mailer downloadable weekly recipes produced by a lady called leanne ely (Saving Dinner). I am using her Autoimmune menus, which are spot on for how I want/need to eat, but there are others as well, most in the lower carb and higher fat spectrum. I don't necessarily follow them like a robot, but it gives a good starting point. They are a doddle to use with MFP,as all the nutritional data is given, so I just enter all the meals as a 'my foods' with the data and it zips straight into my food diary. (If you want to see this, we are in week 35 of the year atm, so just 'choose food' and type in 'Wk35' and 6 meals should pop up -- no food or recipes, because they are download from the Saving Dinner lady -- but it makes entering stuff pretty fast in MFP!) She offers a free sample week, which is very interesting, varied and economical, with the week's shopping list as well.

Obviously you pay for the downloads, but my time is precious to me and I consider the time I save in having sensible meals sorted in no time at all worth every penny. I even order and have my shopping delivered weekly from ocado. It all ties in very nicely - leanne downloads the new menus on a tuesday, the shopping is delivered for the coming week's meals on wednesday, and there is lots of time to unpack and shop the newest download as well, because wed is also one of my fast diet days. (the other one is suday.) I have been housebound for four years, and will NEVER wander around the place shopping. You save a fortune because you aren't adding all sorts of junk that wasn't on your list. And time too.
  • Hbhappygirl
    Hbhappygirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I find that the 5:2 does not really diminish my appetite on non-fast days, although I wish it did! I have been doing 5:2 for over a year and did get down to my goal weight, but have found myself plateauing such that I either only maintain same weight or actually increase weight. I am up about 5 pounds from my goal weight and have not veered from the diet, excepting that on my non fast days I find I am ravenous and usually end up over eating. So right now I'm on a mission doing 4:3 with 3 days of 500 cal fasts, and that is steadily bringing the weight back off, about 1 pound per week. I'm expecting to be back at goal weight in 5 weeks on this strategy. Good luck to you! !