Veggies - why do people keep saying we need (so many of) them?!

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
This is where I get the stink eye from people over this diet - lack of veggies and all of their nutrients and fibre. I'm eating pretty low carb, my total carbs are usually under 30, but people can't believe that can be good for me. I suspect some of them think I am now losing weight because I'm sickly even though my skin has cleared up and I'm in less pain.

Does anyone have really good sites or sources of info that I can quote from to prove I am doing something that is healthy, or at least not less healthy than eating 50% carbs in a day? I'd like stuff I could state simply that is hard to argue with. It's only around the main boards that referring people to scientific studies is helpful, and I've about given up on that, so I'm looking for stuff most people would understand. Easy stats or popular books or doctors are best.

Any help or direction is much appreciated!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Some will argue that we don't need those things.

I'm looking into fiber this week, especially the anti-cancer mechanism. The answer might be surprising. :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    not less healthy than eating 50% carbs in a day?

there is prolly NO WAY to influence people who think we need 'balance' that word alone kills LCHF

Most people just can't wrap their minds around a no veggie diet..but also it isn't necearry eat NO veggie..I am following a plant based protein LCHF..tons of butter and fats…but almost zero meat..and losing weight/feeling well and enjoying the range of foods I do have.

possibly you can say this diet allows a wide range of options.

a bit related--
    Jonathan Bailor started out promoting a plate 50% full of veggies, and lots of fatty meats, butter, etc. his approach I felt would be more accepted by the 'masses'….for the young crowd he promoted lots of exercise, and fats…so he really targeted his message from elderly to 20something. his site is SANEsolution

I am not longer thrilled with him as he is now selling $50. of desiccated veggies in a bag as "garden in a bowl"…very very costly serving of 50 vege & fruits…when Texassuperfoods sells at half the price for capsule form of same dried veggies. he's become a real hypster for LCHF…and it's not pretty to see, but he's built a company that needs to pay all the employees.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I wish I had something but my belief we don't need the recommended amount of vegetables to be healthy is based on anecdotal evidence and the fact I don't find the research (the recommendations are based on) particularly compelling.

You really can't argue with what people believe and a lot of people believe low carb is inherently unhealthy - regardless of what you actually eat. Even if you do eat vegetables they wouldn't be the right kinds of vegetables in the right amounts. lol

You can't win. I would just stick to a generic response along the lines of "thank you for the concern but I'm healthy/healthier than ever but if I start feeling poorly or my doctor expresses concern I'll be sure to re-evaluate my diet."
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This is where I get the stink eye from people over this diet - lack of veggies and all of their nutrients and fibre. I'm eating pretty low carb, my total carbs are usually under 30, but people can't believe that can be good for me. I suspect some of them think I am now losing weight because I'm sickly even though my skin has cleared up and I'm in less pain.

Does anyone have really good sites or sources of info that I can quote from to prove I am doing something that is healthy, or at least not less healthy than eating 50% carbs in a day? I'd like stuff I could state simply that is hard to argue with. It's only around the main boards that referring people to scientific studies is helpful, and I've about given up on that, so I'm looking for stuff most people would understand. Easy stats or popular books or doctors are best.

Any help or direction is much appreciated!

I eat way more veggies on low carb than I ever did before low carb. Back then my "veggies" were mainly potatoes, potato chips, corn chips and the like!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    And here's an article about me not being the only one. http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-dieting.html

We actually eat MORE veggies... "Myth #12: Low carb, ketogenic diets are low in fiber, and so detrimental to your colon. ~ Incorrect. People who follow ketogenic diets eat more fibrous vegetables than they did when following the standard American diet. In fact, fibrous vegetables such as cabbage, spinach and salads make up a large part of the carb calories allowed on a ketogenic diet. See the results of this survey."
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I can only say what works for me

Veggies are the catalyst

I need my veggies to lose pounds. High fiber stuff

Cabbage and broccoli

I love kale
  • wabmester
    Options
    I definitely eat more veggies, but it's still a valid question whether we need them. Fit_Goat should be along shortly. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Meh, anyone who tells me that I need vegetables isn't worth the time it would take to convince them otherwise.

I have stopped arguing with people about veggies.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Going for some coffee, eggs and bacon sourced from vegetation so they are going to be my vegetables for the day. I guess the eggs and bacon will have to be called "processed" vegetables however. :)

Lowest common denominator is we live on sunlight and some minerals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Meh, anyone who tells me that I need vegetables isn't worth the time it would take to convince them otherwise.

I have stopped arguing with people about veggies.

LOL

@JessicaLCHF That looks like a good link. Thanks.

So I should just go with it, I guess.... Let them have the last word and just smile and thank them. That's going to take some strength. LOL I can do that.

I'm not a huge veggie eater. I have some days where I eat a couple of cups of spinach, half a cuc and some pepppers, but most days usually just include a couple stalks of celery, a few baby carrots, and that's it. I realize that I could eat high veggie on a LCHF diet, but I definitely do not. Veggies are the vehicle that carries the dip to my mouth; a tasty vehicle but still...

I'm reluctant to eat many carbs. I find that most times I let my carbs approach 50g, my FBG is back up into the prediabetic range the next morning even if I still test in ketosis. If I keep total carbs well below 30g, my FBG stays normal.... I probably need a lot more months eating LCHF before that improves.

Thanks everyone. I always appreciate your honesty and differing points of view. :)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat very few vegetables. I'm not constipated, but I don't get why people think we need to have a big poo every day to be healthy. I'm okay with every couple of days. I'd much rather NOT be bloated all the time, but that's just me.
  • wabmester
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think FIT_Goat had some good arguments against veggies in another thread (too lazy to look for it), especially if you have allergies.

I was looking into fiber recently because of the mucus connection. Some low-carbers in Poland were getting GI cancers a few years ago. There was speculation that it might be due to low mucus production due to carb restriction.

Anyway, it turns out gut mucus production does need glucose, but it's also regulated by butyrate. Butyrate is a fermentation byproduct of, you guessed it, fiber.

This study gives additional mechanisms for cancer protection via dietary fiber:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3926973/

First, dietary fiber resists digestion in the small intestine, and enters the colon where it is fermented to produce SCFAs that may enhance the healthy composition of gut microbiota. Second, SCFAs have anticancer properties which include the promotion of cancer cell cycle arrest, apoptosis, and the inhibition of chronic inflammatory process and cancer cell migration/invasion in the colon. Importantly, these molecular activities are effective only within a certain physiological concentration range of the SCFAs. Third, dietary fiber increases fecal bulking and viscosity, reduces the time for proteolytic fermentation that results in harmful substances, and shortens the contact between potential carcinogens and mucosal cells. In addition, dietary fiber can bind/excrete potential luminal carcinogens (e.g., secondary bile acids), lower fecal pH in the colon, and thus provide a healthy intestinal environment.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ha. Just today my daughter asked my husband (who was talking about frying up pork chops for his dinner) what he was planning for his sides! I told her he doesn't need any sides, but she argued that she did not agree with that - that we need vegetables. Sigh... She is so brainwashed.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I think FIT_Goat had some good arguments against veggies in another thread (too lazy to look for it), especially if you have allergies.

I was looking into fiber recently because of the mucus connection. Some low-carbers in Poland were getting GI cancers a few years ago. There was speculation that it might be due to low mucus production due to carb restriction.

Anyway, it turns out gut mucus production does need glucose, but it's also regulated by butyrate. Butyrate is a fermentation byproduct of, you guessed it, fiber.

This study gives additional mechanisms for cancer protection via dietary fiber:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3926973/

First, dietary fiber resists digestion in the small intestine, and enters the colon where it is fermented to produce SCFAs that may enhance the healthy composition of gut microbiota. Second, SCFAs have anticancer properties which include the promotion of cancer cell cycle arrest, apoptosis, and the inhibition of chronic inflammatory process and cancer cell migration/invasion in the colon. Importantly, these molecular activities are effective only within a certain physiological concentration range of the SCFAs. Third, dietary fiber increases fecal bulking and viscosity, reduces the time for proteolytic fermentation that results in harmful substances, and shortens the contact between potential carcinogens and mucosal cells. In addition, dietary fiber can bind/excrete potential luminal carcinogens (e.g., secondary bile acids), lower fecal pH in the colon, and thus provide a healthy intestinal environment.

Thanks for sharing -- you always post great stuff. :smile: This would be one for the potential downsides thread. I thought the colon cancer and fiber link was done and dusted but I see this article is from last year so perhaps not. I think the research into the gut biome is absolutely fascinating but I'm still skeptical of a lot of the conclusions that are being drawn but the research is certainly exciting.

I'm still of the opinion that some vegetables (and consequently fiber) are good but the more is better claims not compelling. But I also eat a fair amount of vegetables, fruits and try and include things like beans in my diet so that might account for my somewhat cavalier attitude -- even if there's more to it than I believe my bases are at least partially covered in this regard.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Some will argue that we don't need those things.

I'm looking into fiber this week, especially the anti-cancer mechanism. The answer might be surprising. :)

I agree with this. Most SAD diets are deficient in many micronutrients. There's also the roll of your gut biome affecting physical, metabolic, and neurological health, and veggies (fibrous ones, at least) provide the pre-biotic substance the bacteria and yeast need to establish that biome.

This week is not a good example, but I've otherwise managed 30-50 carbs a day almost exclusively from veggies, about 5-7 cups a day. I've been following the Paleo AIP to help manage a neuromuscular autoimmune disease, and a large component of that diet is focused on high micronutrient density to help heal.

Obviously, we all follow this WOE for our individual reasons. In no way should my reasons for eating veggies dictate your decisions, or vice versa!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I reckon 2 year olds are smart. They hate veggies. I'm gonna a pretend to be 2. 99.9% of veggies taste yuck, feel gross in my mouth and do nothing for my digestive system. I'd rather starve than eat a green been.

I don't see why our bodies would set us up to value *kitten* that tastes like *kitten*.

I like avocados and I like mushrooms, a fruit and a fungus. I'll eat those.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    er...crap that tastes like poo...
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Because tonight's "Jersey Shore Boardwalk Sausage" wouldn't be the same without peppers & onions. :)
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Does anyone have really good sites or sources of info that I can quote from to prove I am doing something that is healthy, or at least not less healthy than eating 50% carbs in a day? I'd like stuff I could state simply that is hard to argue with'
    I am a gardener and love veggies, but Weston A Price (.org) has a lot of information about traditional dies which were extremely healthy and many did not contain many veggies. Think Eskimos for example.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I can only say what works for me

Veggies are the catalyst

I need my veggies to lose pounds. High fiber stuff

Cabbage and broccoli

I love kale
    Ditto. I need, and want the veggies.