Chia Pudding? Not a Fan

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, was wondering if anyone else here had braved chia pudding. I just did a basic type with half heavy whipping cream, half water since I didn't have any other fluid options. I did vanilla and cinnamon. Texture was...tolerable. Flavor was decent. But I have had very firm, bordering on painful, stools off and on for a week now. I even made sure my fats were way higher those days.

It was nice to have a different pudding type option, but I'd have to have like 1/8 cup every 3-4 days, if that much. Most recipes call for 1/4 cup of chia sees. I didn't even have that many over 18-24 hours. It was one of those trial packs that was maybe 1.5 TBSP....

I'm not even worried about trying different flavors or anything at this point. Has anyone else had this problem, fiber sensitive or not?

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've had it once. It was nasty, horrid stuff. But no adverse side effects, maybe because I only had a bite. Bleh.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I like it. I make mine a little watery tho. Two cups liquid to two TBSP chia seeds. By liquid I mean anything from a mix of water, cream cheese, yougurt, heavy cream, almond milk... Basically whatever I have. Let it chill overnight after stirring a few times over fifteen minutes (prevents clumps).

I don't add sweetener or spices. In the am I might add cinnamon and Splenda or I might add frozen berries and nuke it and eat it warm. Two cups lasts me five days cause 1. It's filling and 2. I'm not a big Bfast eater.

Never noticed any digestion issues, but that maybe cause I eat less than half a cup a day. I particularly like it cause I am not a morning person and I Iike "cooking" once (no real cooking involved, lol) and having Bfast ready for five days. It also keeps fine.

I like it cold. I like it hot. Nine days old may be stretching it.
  • JennyToy1
    JennyToy1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i love it!!!!!!!
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love it! I make mine with coconut milk or cashew milk about 2-3 tablespoons chia, cinnamon and vanilla, banana, I blend everything but chia and add them at the end stir and refrigerate overnight. It's so good like tapioca pudding.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love it too. No ill effects here.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I like it. I make mine a little watery tho. Two cups liquid to two TBSP chia seeds. By liquid I mean anything from a mix of water, cream cheese, yougurt, heavy cream, almond milk... Basically whatever I have. Let it chill overnight after stirring a few times over fifteen minutes (prevents clumps).

I don't add sweetener or spices. In the am I might add cinnamon and Splenda or I might add frozen berries and nuke it and eat it warm. Two cups lasts me five days cause 1. It's filling and 2. I'm not a big Bfast eater.

Never noticed any digestion issues, but that maybe cause I eat less than half a cup a day. I particularly like it cause I am not a morning person and I Iike "cooking" once (no real cooking involved, lol) and having Bfast ready for five days. It also keeps fine.

I like it cold. I like it hot. Nine days old may be stretching it.

Didn't try it hot. Is it more like oatmeal that way??? And I used less than 2 TBSP chia seeds and 1.5 cups liquid (half HWC/half water because that was all I had)... Wish I'd realized about the clump prevention, thought I did stir it some, I still had a few clumps.

Lizzym911 wrote: »
    I love it! I make mine with coconut milk or cashew milk about 2-3 tablespoons chia, cinnamon and vanilla, banana, I blend everything but chia and add them at the end stir and refrigerate overnight. It's so good like tapioca pudding.

I don't have the carbs to afford a banana, but I didn't even use half of your amount of seeds and it tore me up, but I also haven't had much fiber in months and months. I guess I'm just more sensitive to fiber than some folks. Might try it again, but I dunno... Maybe if I heated it I could melt in some CO or butter? SIGH Because I'd love to find a simple, on-plan pudding recipe... Might get desperate enough to try SF pudding mix with HWC....
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I bought chia seeds yesterday to see what all the fuss was about

Aside of soaking up water and being a little slimy, nothing to them really.

I like the nutrient profile. I plan to keep with 2 tbsp a day and see how it goes
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Didn't try it hot. Is it more like oatmeal that way??? And I used less than 2 TBSP chia seeds and 1.5 cups liquid (half HWC/half water because that was all I had)... Wish I'd realized about the clump prevention, thought I did stir it some, I still had a few clumps.

No, it's more like cream of wheat which I used to love. I don't like the mouth feel of oatmeal. Never did since I was a kid.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm so glad I discovered chia pudding - I have it several times a week - it is my primary treat. I use 1/4 cup of heavy coconut cream (Trader Joe's), 1.75 cup of either almond milk or low-carb dairy milk (Fairlife), 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, a teaspoon of coconut extract, and 5-6 drops of liquid sucralose & 1/3 cup of chia seeds. Makes two ~ 1 cup servings. Love it! Cinnamon is good too. When pumpkin is back in season, I plan to make pumpkin pie flavored pudding. I blend with an immersion blender, and let it sit in the fridge several hours or overnight.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Pumpkin spice. /love
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    I'm so glad I discovered chia pudding - I have it several times a week - it is my primary treat. I use 1/4 cup of heavy coconut cream (Trader Joe's), 1.75 cup of either almond milk or low-carb dairy milk (Fairlife), 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, a teaspoon of coconut extract, and 5-6 drops of liquid sucralose & 1/3 cup of chia seeds. Makes two ~ 1 cup servings. Love it! Cinnamon is good too. When pumpkin is back in season, I plan to make pumpkin pie flavored pudding. I blend with an immersion blender, and let it sit in the fridge several hours or overnight.

Sounds good

I'm gonna try the coconut oil and cream thing tonight!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I love chia pudding !!! We use either coconut milk or almond milk when we make it. We make vanilla, chocolate, with or without coconut, and a killer pumpkin spice almond milk pudding served with whipped cream, yummy alternative to pumpkin pie !
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I need to try this!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I did notice some recipes said you could grind the seeds first. What does it do to texture with an immersion blender? Does it break the seeds? Or does it just stir better to prevent clumping? I might try it again that way.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I originally thought the blender might break the seeds and produce a smother texture. However the seeds seem pretty solid, and don't seem affected much by the blender. I use the blender just to mix well & avoid lumps. Simply stirring won't blend the thick coconut cream into the almond milk. Putting in a sealed container and shaking vigorously works also. Yes - perhaps grinding the seeds might result in a smoother consistency.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has a shot of Chia gel nightly to prevent the issues you experienced! I've tried pudding a few different ways and gave enjoyed the flavor but the texture gets me... not a fan of porridge and regular pudding for the same reason. You can grind the seeds prior to adding liquid also. Same with flax.
  • KittensMaster
    Options

Sounds good

I made a 2 tbsp of chia seeds, tbsp heavy cream. 1 tsp coconut oil, I square of dark cocoa chocolate and 2 ounces of water pudding this morning

I added one pack of stevia and it was super yummy!

My morning coffee and Green's Black organic chocolate breakfast found a new friend !

❤️

I think it may be true love!

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I was throwing chia seeds in smoothies, but that triggered my ulcerative colitis. If I let them gel, then make pudding with cream & vanilla with toasted coconut on top it doesn't bother me. And now I'm hooked on the pudding, am or pm snack.