Disney World

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
I will be facing a big challenge next week when I go to Disney World with grandchildren. I haven't been there for 25 years so I imagine it is quite changed. Will it be possible to stay in Ketosis while visiting in the Happiest Place on Earth?

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you'll need to eat at restaurants and stay out of the food kiosks. As soon as you can, make your meal reservations. Many restaurants fill incredibly fast. If you think you can swing it, make them tonight. There is almost always something to eat at every restaurant, but being able to choose your place ahead of time is kind of key to not snacking.

You can also decide to get a fridge in your room and pack your food. You're allowed to take a soft-side cooler into the parks. This is what I do, but I also live here. I use the cooler as a purse and a cooler, I pack my snacks in single-serve bags and put a list of what I packed that morning. When I return home, I just log what's missing off the list. I'll even share with my kids/grandkids, but I just make an extra note that *I* didn't eat what's missing!

And as I tell all visitors, please make sure you hydrate, wear sneakers, and wear lots of sunscreen. Find the bathrooms in the park on the map ahead of time and be prepared for lines. If you drive off-property, make sure you know where you're going, as our road markers are craptastic. In the area, school is back in session, so be prepared for that bit of crazy. Enjoy yourself!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help. I'll bring what I need
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Another fellow Floridian here!

I second the above. You may find the turkey leg vendors yummy! Disney is very pack your own lunch friendly as mentioned and it's also a cheaper option. If not, most places have the standard fare, albeit overpriced.

Have fun! Comfy shoes are a must! You'll be doing loads of walking and standing on your feet in line..... egads at the lines..... I bring my own water too, plus some vendors will give you cups of ice water for free.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go to Disney all the time. Actually, my current photo is a picture of myself at Epcot. If I can do it there (not just low carb, but meat-only), anyone can. I eat a lot of turkey legs and pork shanks. Some places will have half a chicken (they'll even give you vegetables with it). Those aren't even the sit down places, they are walk up ones.

It's not impossible. And, bringing food is also a good choice. Buying food there is expensive for what you get.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    I will be facing a big challenge next week when I go to Disney World with grandchildren. I haven't been there for 25 years so I imagine it is quite changed. Will it be possible to stay in Ketosis while visiting in the Happiest Place on Earth?

It's always possible to stay in Ketosis wherever you go. There's nowhere in the universe that isnt Keto-friendly! ;) You just need a) self discipline and b) pre-planning.

Dont be tempted by all the cr@p you will be surrounded with. Its inevitable there will be lots of temptation, but that's part of life in general, and all you have to do is set your own rules and stick to them. What you put in your mouth is totally your decision - dont feel obliged to indulge just because its there, because everyone else is doing it, because you're on vacation, because "its Disney". Just say NO!, if the foods dont fit your macros.
    However, im sure there will be something keto-friendly available somewhere, maybe with a bit of jiggling (ie. burger or hotdog minus the bun, no ketchup etc), but its great to be prepared by bringing a little keto pack-up with you, containing lunch & some snacks, just incase (and, like Goat mentioned, it will please your wallet as well as your tummy!)

If not, you could always IF during the day! - On the rare occasion i cant get my hands on anything at all keto-friendly, i'll just go without and IF for a while (it makes dinner so much more enjoyable!)

Enjoy your trip and Keto-on!

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, IF is an option as well. I will sometimes start the day with 8-12 eggs and half a pound of bacon. Maybe a burger and a steak on top of that. Of course, you'd need to be staying at a place with a stove and fridge. But, I can cram a pretty large breakfast into my belly and then go until very, very late before getting hungry again.

I also have been known to fill ziplock baggies with hamburgers and put them into my cargo pockets. I can get 2-3 pounds of hamburger in my pockets without needing to worry about the bag check lines. It is a little messed up that the first question I get asked when someone finds out about my burger pockets is, "Is the meat raw?" or "Did you cook the burgers?" That's happened more than a couple times. Apparently, I look like the kind of person to walk around with raw meat in his pockets. LOL

* Yes, it is cooked. I will eat raw ground beef, but I don't know if I would trust it after being exposed to the Florida heat in my pockets for hours.