Vitamins: Recommendations

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
hola,

so back after being away for a week or so. stuck mostly with the plan (okay, so i had a massive blueberry shake at jersey freeze -- some things won't die, though i didn't feel so guilty because i kind of planned my day around that yummy stuff -- and i had ***no pizza whatsoever*** -- which is a major thing for me being that i'm originally a jersey girl and it is hard to get the pizza i love outside of the NY metro area -- so NSV!) but a question i meant to ask *before* i left...

but i digress.

anyone want to share what sort of vitamins you use and why? i have read here people who supplement with magnesium, Bs, etc... would love to know brands and reasons. i was interested in particular because i know my cardiologist told me to get some magnesium because i have me some dizzies (eek!) but i am still not sure which type. anyway, i would love to know the range of what people take (if anything, and if you don't, that's cool, too!) -- whether it is a specific multi, a plethora of pills, or something in between. in a perfect world, i would get all the nutrents i need via my food, but i just want to cover my bases. extra points for anyone out there who is more plant-based so that if i make that shift, i have an idea what i might need covered.

hopefully, this request is not too intrusive or annoying -- apologies if it is. still learning, ya know.

TIA :-)

Replies

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You are going to get as many answers as there are people in this group! There is no one regimen. Some recommend a ton, others say nothing is necessary.
    I remember Atkins telling us to take specific vitamins, like chromium, and then Atkins Nutritionals started selling them. Dr. Davis of Wheat Belly fame also recommends certain vitamins, vitamin D and fish oils for omega 3 being two of them.
    Personally, I take a multivitamin, D3, Fish Oil, Cinnamon with Chromium, a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc (every other day) and 81mg aspirin. I do not take potassium because it is contraindicated with my BP medication.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    Thanks :) I am just trying to get ideas, since I have been just cruising along with my multi, my probiotic, and my BP meds.
  • kmhaley81
    kmhaley81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin d, b12, super b complex, and fish oil. All from nature made because I buy them in bulk at BJ's.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I drink good vitamin fortified protein shakes and eat electrolyte packs like candy when exercising in the heat
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I take a good multivitamin in morning, & D drops, then track my food during day. In evening look at what I'm short & top it up with each individual like calcium, iron & C. You need to be careful not not have too much of some like A as that is not good for you. But apparently C you can have a lot of. :*

It is a minefield.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Protein shake full of vitamins after 5k 5x a week. I also use gummie fiber Phillips. I am not a fan of pills. Rather eat the season food and stay low carb. Lots of water and rest.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I take Alive Max Potency Multi - which has vitamins, minerals, and blends of green foods, fruits, mushrooms, and seeds. It does have carbs, but I just factor them in to the daily count. I also take milk thistle. My recent labs showed my Vit. D level was very very low, so right now I'm also taking Dr. Cannell's Vit D women's formula, which is Vit D, plus other vitamins/minerals to support the absorption of the Vit D. There's Magnesium in both the Alive and the Dr Cannell's Vit D, so I don't take additional Magnesium at this time.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    thanks, all. definitely food for thought!
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    vit d3, multivitamin formulated for diabetics, joint, fish oil, magnesium - a formula by Mineralife since it does not cause diarrhea.