Form for squats, questions about my hips?

Options
Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct area! I started lifting heavy in March 2015 with stronglifts 5 x 5 when I decided that I needed to lose weight, weighing 165 pounds. I am 28 5'5'', female, and the weight has crept on pretty bad since my early twenties. I guess I am telling you my back story because I need a little advice with weight training and retaining LBM while cutting, and my squat form.
My first question is, since I have lost about 30 pounds since March, how much LBM do you think I've lost vs fat loss? I made sure to eat at least my LBM in protein everyday, and lift weights 2 to 3 times a week, but I am new to being active again. Maybe there is no way to estimate this, I just hope I lost fat efficiently.
My second question has to do with my squat form. I recently noticed I tend to twist while squatting, like keeping my right foot slightly back and leaning too far forward when I ascend so that my right hip slightly goes back. My friend recorded it on her phone, so if I can figure out how to upload it I will, but does anyone know how I can correct this? My PR for squats is 135, 5 set 5 reps. This past week since this came to my attention I have been working at a lower weight than usual for me, at 105 and 115.

thanks so much for reading, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction! I have come become pretty passionate about lifting since I started, and want to make sure I do it right.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct area! I started lifting heavy in March 2015 with stronglifts 5 x 5 when I decided that I needed to lose weight, weighing 165 pounds. I am 28 5'5'', female, and the weight has crept on pretty bad since my early twenties. I guess I am telling you my back story because I need a little advice with weight training and retaining LBM while cutting, and my squat form.
    My first question is, since I have lost about 30 pounds since March, how much LBM do you think I've lost vs fat loss? I made sure to eat at least my LBM in protein everyday, and lift weights 2 to 3 times a week, but I am new to being active again. Maybe there is no way to estimate this, I just hope I lost fat efficiently.
    My second question has to do with my squat form. I recently noticed I tend to twist while squatting, like keeping my right foot slightly back and leaning too far forward when I ascend so that my right hip slightly goes back. My friend recorded it on her phone, so if I can figure out how to upload it I will, but does anyone know how I can correct this? My PR for squats is 135, 5 set 5 reps. This past week since this came to my attention I have been working at a lower weight than usual for me, at 105 and 115.

thanks so much for reading, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction! I have come become pretty passionate about lifting since I started, and want to make sure I do it right.

I wouldn't worry about quantifying LBM losses (or gains). Focus on the process. If you are training with enough volume and making gym progress, and you are eating ample protein and not dieting too aggressively then you are basically doing what you need to do.

Regarding the squat issue, I would suggest getting the video posted and we can start there.

Have your friend email you the clip, and upload it to Youtube.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/oUfU2TaMlTQ

Thank you very much, yeah I guess I shouldn't worry too much about LBM. I just really wanted to lose as much fat as possible, and I want to make lifting part of my life indefinitely. Proper form is so important!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Can't tell 100% from that angle but I my first thought was you aren't pushing you knees out enough.

With a fairly narrow stance like that you really need to make sure the knees aren't coming in as you won't allow enough room between your legs for your hips to move in to.

In most people this would cause their back to round but you have such flexibility in your ankles that your shins/knees end up really far forward...you can see the bar moves forward near the bottom of the squat and then back when you reverse. Hard to describe but your body squats into your knees rather than between them.

I would try,
    a - pushing knees out further first
    b - try a slightly wider stance
    c - try squatting down on to something like a bench or a box so you can get used to moving up and down in a straighter line.

It's really not that bad though, seen a lot worse.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    @ninagray000
    Good bar path and depth.

• ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Is there a tiny "butt wink" at the bottom, where your back just slightly rounds?

Getting to 135 in less than 6 months squatting, good going!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Is there a tiny "butt wink" at the bottom, where your back just slightly rounds?

Getting to 135 in less than 6 months squatting, good going!

Ditto, the hips are tilting in at bottom, then getting the back curve back in place on the rise.

I'll bet corrected applying Hendrix's suggestions since minor.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yup, today I will make sure to push my knees outward, and adopt a wider stance. Butt wink, ha I've not heard the expression but I see what you are talking about. Squatting is tough, and I strive for perfection as much as possible, so I'm enjoying the feedback.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Butt wink may or may not be an indication of potential problems. It is in indication of individual physiology. Some people can squat any which way and never have butt wink.
  • MattBrouse
    MattBrouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

Very generalized form advice (keep in mind this is from only one video/one angle).

I'd say:

Slightly widen the stance.

Slightly turn the toes out.

Really make an effort to squeeze the butt to push the hips forward on the ascent.

Overall, this is a trainers dream as you seem to be a natural. Good job.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    So yesterday I adopted a wider stance, and really made an effort to push my knees out, rather than allowing a slight cave in. I believe because if this my lifting buddy saw much less butt wink than before. But no matter what, I still have a slight movement of my hips going under. Perhaps I should just do goblet squats and leave the barbell alone. When doing a body weight squat I still noticed a very slight wink as well. Should I stick with the barbell, with my new wider stance modifications and accept a little wink? Or should I only practise body weight and increase my glute strength with the hopes of ridding the wink forever? I read briefly that Bret Contreras said some may just have a slight wink, and it's ok.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly get another set of videos - one from the side, and one from the back? I (and probably we) can't quite see what you meant about the hip(s) twisting.

In looking at the one video above, it does look like your right foot is slightly back. That may just be from how you unrack the bar and step back. I like to step back, then alternate picking up each foot slightly 2-3 times to make sure I'm starting out "straight."
  • _benjammin
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I read briefly that Bret Contreras said some may just have a slight wink, and it's ok.

^That's my thought.
    I've read the same by others too.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I adopted a wider stance, and really made an effort to push my knees out, rather than allowing a slight cave in. I believe because if this my lifting buddy saw much less butt wink than before. But no matter what, I still have a slight movement of my hips going under. Perhaps I should just do goblet squats and leave the barbell alone. When doing a body weight squat I still noticed a very slight wink as well. Should I stick with the barbell, with my new wider stance modifications and accept a little wink? Or should I only practise body weight and increase my glute strength with the hopes of ridding the wink forever? I read briefly that Bret Contreras said some may just have a slight wink, and it's ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1f6mk1aVuA
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would also try some glute activation movements before you squat next time.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    May or may not apply in the OP's case, but here is an interesting video that explains how the movement of squats changes based on the proportions of a person's body ( to be more specific dorsiflexion range, tibia length, floor to knee length, femur length, torso length, as well as load placement at different heights & anterior and posterior placement, also metatarsal flexion/extension capabilities) And for those super interested, this is only part 1 of a 4-part series you can see on youtube.

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    @ninagray000
    Good bar path and depth.

It actually looks to me like the bar comes significantly forward. The heels rise slightly, and at the bottom the bar is over the forefoot instead of midfoot.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good call - and if that advice above is applied, probably should take care of that issue too - which could be simple ankle mobility.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    _benjammin wrote: »
    @ninagray000
    Good bar path and depth.

It actually looks to me like the bar comes significantly forward. The heels rise slightly, and at the bottom the bar is over the forefoot instead of midfoot.
    We have different definitions of "significantly".