Black cohosh

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
i just picked up some black cohosh capsules over the weekend and started taking them. I seem to notice feeling better in several ways (no hot flashes, sleeping well, libido increase slightly, a bit more energy). Now this may all be placebo effect, but we will see.

Has anyone had a problem with weight gain while taking black cohosh?

Replies

• dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started taking Mason Natural Menopause Trio: Black cohosh, flaxseed, and soy and have noticed a significant change in all the things you mentioned. I do not take daily- usually every other day, but still a definite improvement. I am not seeing weight gain, and in fact the additional energy and sleep really seem to be helping my workouts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm trying black cohosh for fibroids. I've been taking Nature's Way, Black Cohosh, Standardized, 60 Tablets for about three weeks and have noticed no changes in any area. (I haven't started hot flashes yet.)
  • tigerblue
    Options
    So I missed a dose of the cohosh this morning. I feel like I'm about to spontaneously combust, so it must be helping with the hot flashes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm trying black cohosh for fibroids. I've been taking Nature's Way, Black Cohosh, Standardized, 60 Tablets for about three weeks and have noticed no changes in any area. (I haven't started hot flashes yet.)

This sort of surprises me, as I'd heard estrogen causes the fibroids, and black cohosh has estrogenic properties. Is there research that points to this as a treatment?
  • tigerblue
    Options
    I've been taking black cohosh now for about three weeks and just finished my first cycle. Over the past months, my period had gotten increasingly long and heavy. It was lasting like two weeks, although it would only be heavy for about four days. This month I still had cramping (nothing new for sure!) and my flow was relatively heavy, but it only lasted total 7 days!!!! And I feel so much calmer and less down. This is wonderful! I will keep trying for sure! Sometimes you don't realize just how "crazy in your head" you get until it gets better! Poor family!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I've been taking black cohosh now for about three weeks and just finished my first cycle. Over the past months, my period had gotten increasingly long and heavy. It was lasting like two weeks, although it would only be heavy for about four days. This month I still had cramping (nothing new for sure!) and my flow was relatively heavy, but it only lasted total 7 days!!!! And I feel so much calmer and less down. This is wonderful! I will keep trying for sure! Sometimes you don't realize just how "crazy in your head" you get until it gets better! Poor family!

WONDERFUL!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to try this. My hot flashes are so often and I am getting really tired of it, not sleeping good, hot flashes all night too. Do you get it at the health food stores? What is the recommended dosage? I am glad I saw this post.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I guess I need to try this. My hot flashes are so often and I am getting really tired of it, not sleeping good, hot flashes all night too. Do you get it at the health food stores? What is the recommended dosage? I am glad I saw this post.

You can get it pretty much anywhere, even walmart.

MOST of my hot flashes are at night, which seems odd.