Bulletproof Coffee

Options
Who does it and how have you found it ?? thanks for any info :)

Replies

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have a BPC almost every day except when I am fasting. I use both CO and butter whipped up in a blender. The fats keep me full for several hours.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

OK now I know what you are and others have been talking about for the last year. :)

I skip the butter and MCT oil and just use 5 tablespoons of coconut oil (MCT source) and heavy whipping cream that is about the same as butter (36% butter fat) but may not be grass fed. I think the Folger's Instant coffee should be free from mold. I do add a large teaspoon of 100% cocoa as well as a helping of Shilajit powder.

This cup of coffee is about 800 calories in my case and it often is a moving experience of my morning.

I started this for pain management before I heard of MFP and still am doing it because it is awesome in my case.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love it and will return to it once I go back to school and convince my dad we need to move the toaster so I can have my blender back. Evil toaster taking up valuable space >:) It keeps me full for somewhere between 4-12 hours, depending on how busy I am and if I had carbs with it.

I like the taste of butter more than coconut oil at present, but find I can put more coconut oil than butter in my coffee. This makes co the go to for long days at work or school. I can add 10-12 grams of butter, or 25ish grams of coconut oil before the taste starts getting funky in a 16 ounce cup of coffee. Blended with a tbsp or two of hwc and occasionally a splash of torani sugar free syrup it makes me feel like I'm drinking a latte. The froth on a BPC is amazing, and pretty too.

I'll have one in the morning, and sometimes one for dessert if I feel the need for 'something' or need the calories. I'm also experimenting with taking bpc in a thermos to sip on during night class, not sure that I can keep it hot enough for the fats not to congeal.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I am too lazy to mess with a blender so I just stir with the spoon I use to get the coconut oil out of the jar. Counter top is over loaded here as well. :)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I don't use dairy. But I do put in a little stevia, 2 eggs and some cacao. I have a little oster blender that stirs it right in the container. Delish!
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cool...tried it for the first time today. Was a bit wary of putting 2 tbsp of butter in it so only put in 2 teaspoons. I'll try and up it tomorrow. Have people lost weight on it ? Im starting back on lc and have 2 stone to lose. Im also on 20mg prozac so the going is slow :( but not impossible ;)
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If the calories in your BPC are less than the meal its replacing - it will help you lose weight.
  • fantasticelastic
    Options
    Thanks Drawntoscale :)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love this!!! I haven't tried BPC yet, but now I think I'm gonna have to!
  • fantasticelastic
    Options
    how many grams of butter do you put in it ? Iv read that its 14g per tablespoon...so that would be 28gs per cut ? But then Iv read that people put in up to 80g !!!
  • fantasticelastic
    Options
    I love it and will return to it once I go back to school and convince my dad we need to move the toaster so I can have my blender back. Evil toaster taking up valuable space >:) It keeps me full for somewhere between 4-12 hours, depending on how busy I am and if I had carbs with it.

I like the taste of butter more than coconut oil at present, but find I can put more coconut oil than butter in my coffee. This makes co the go to for long days at work or school. I can add 10-12 grams of butter, or 25ish grams of coconut oil before the taste starts getting funky in a 16 ounce cup of coffee. Blended with a tbsp or two of hwc and occasionally a splash of torani sugar free syrup it makes me feel like I'm drinking a latte. The froth on a BPC is amazing, and pretty too.

I'll have one in the morning, and sometimes one for dessert if I feel the need for 'something' or need the calories. I'm also experimenting with taking bpc in a thermos to sip on during night class, not sure that I can keep it hot enough for the fats not to congeal.

Ah thanks I see you put 10-12g of butter in :)
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have been converted to. Coconut oil in my coffee

Not quite up to the 800 calorie coffee since I love to eat my calories but I get 150 or so with it after adding heavy cream!

It is filling
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just use about 1T of coconut oil in my first cup with heavy whip and sugar free syrup. There's usually a bit of coconut oil left in the cup for the second cup. I don't use the blender, just a spoon. Haven't tried the actual BPC with the butter. This seems to work well for me. Keeps me satiated for awhile and tastes good.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Most people are not going to do an 800 calorie cup of coffee each morning with 600 from coconut oil (better taper up from 1 teaspoon) and 200 calories from heavy whipping cream. Not sure why I can lose weight eating 2600 calories daily and maintain at 3000 but typically I move more than just walking a 1/4 mile daily.

Remember I was 30 days away from when doctors wanted me to start Enbrel injections when I left carbs cold turkey but had been on heavy coconut for 60 days already at that point when I was trying to taper off of carbs and could not.

Still to this day pain manage is my primary reason for eating fewer than 50 grams of carbs daily.

Because coconut oil (the MCT part of it) can get converted to ketone bodies by the liver without being in a state of ketosis was my early driver of using coconut oil. Dr. Mary did this with her husband to help him recover from some of the limitations from his early onset of Alzheimer's. I do think in my case coconut oil usage has been a large factor in my 40 years of IBS getting healed along with removing the inflammatory heavy carb diet.

I was doing the Bulletproof Coffee concept long before I knew it had a name. :) I was very lucky that coconut is a life long food that I just love the taste of. I was not breast fed but human milk does contain MCT's. I expect that is one reason breast fed babies have an edge over the rest of us.